JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see quite a few in state only transactions in the classifieds. Is this just because selling to out of state buyers requires use of an FFL and in state transactions between private parties (trade or sell) requires no formal paperwork, registration transfer. etc.?? I'm not altogether that fluent on the laws governing firearm sales... making that declaration up front. Thanks

You are correct. Face to face (FTF) are easier usually but definitely cheaper. I've sold guns here to our Oregon brethren; you add in shipping costs and FFL transfer fees, suddenly you're out $90.
Also, some nameless members prefer the FTF deal because why does the government need to be more involved (i.e. know what guns I own) than they are. Still, if you want, WA does have voluntary firearm transfer paperwork you can complete for instate sales.

do a google search about that very subject, it describes it clearly.

OK, my i-search tells me the following to be true:
That F2F selling or trading of firearms between private parties who are both legal WA state residents is legal so long as neither party is a convicted felon or otherwise has police agency restrictions against them to do so, and that the specific firearms being sold/traded are not a banned or restricted weapon.
... correct?

If so, I suppose the nagging little issue is how does one verify legal WA resident status and that would be seller or buyer does not have an restriction against them? Is simply showing a WDL and CPL enough? It seems to me that one has to accept a little risk in these transactions (as opposed to buying through FFL)... just not done this before and considering doing so...hence the question.
Thanks

You are correct that if one has a valid WA DL and CPL that they are legal and a FTF transaction can be done. Just remember if you are feeling a little off on the buyer just say hey lets go see an FFL and do the transaction. I will cost a few more dollars but if you are concerned it puts them all to rest.

Hypothetical situation: You buy a gun from an ffl then later decide to sell it to a private party. Then the gun is later found at a murder scene. The police trace the serial number to you as the current owner. They have a swat team raid your house thinking you are a murderer. You could be shot as they break in. Or you could do the check. In Oregon it costs $10 and proves to the buyer that the gun is not stolen and makes a legal transfer of record to the buyer. There is a form with an 800 number. Questions: 503 378 3070 Oregon State Police Firearms Unit 3772 Portland Road NE, Salem 97303

to answer your question, i believe the answer is yes. the second is tough to verify. and the third is what the law suggests for a FTF transaction. or do a bill of sale, if the transaction feels right, to show the proof of sale and the release of ownership

if there are any questions that still remain, you can also call the ATF directly.

Do you really think the police aren't aware that guns are sold frequently without state transfer records? Same with cars... finding a gun at a murder scene and jumping to a SWAT team raid... you might be stretching imagination here Mongo...

Hypothetical situation: You buy a gun from an ffl then later decide to sell it to a private party. Then the gun is later found at a murder scene. The police trace the serial number to you as the current owner. They have a swat team raid your house thinking you are a murderer. You could be shot as they break in. Or you could do the check. In Oregon it costs $10 and proves to the buyer that the gun is not stolen and makes a legal transfer of record to the buyer. There is a form with an 800 number. Questions: 503 378 3070 Oregon State Police Firearms Unit 3772 Portland Road NE, Salem 97303

It doesn't work like that, skippy.

Hypothetical situation: You buy a gun from an ffl then later decide to sell it to a private party. Then the gun is later found at a murder scene. The police trace the serial number to you as the current owner. They have a swat team raid your house thinking you are a murderer. You could be shot as they break in. Or you could do the check.

"Mongo only pawn... in game of life."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads