JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time to pick up a nice brush guard:D
ford_brush_guard_grill_guard_zpsszsjlkwm.jpg

I am not so sure I am 'on board' with this - yes this will eliminate a lot of good meat going to waste but how much will the 'permit' cost? AND I don't want to see Bubba and Lew-Bob driving around in $100 pickup trucks 'accidentally' hitting deer and elk....

So what happens if you don't have a permit and hit a deer? Is that like poaching?
I guess it's good to have it written down as an acceptable practice, just think it odd to have licensing for it.

So my next question...
What happens if you never get this permit? Will it be needed any time driving where there might be deer? Will we all be required to obtain a roadkill license to drive?

Part two:
What's ODFW to do with the funds? Wildlife bridges?
I could support that, but I'd be a sucker if I believed they would do that after the whole gillnetting fiasco.

What happens if you never get this permit? Will it be needed any time driving where there might be deer? Will we all be required to obtain a roadkill license to drive?
I suspect ODFW has not got any of this figured out yet. I don't know how the permit system will work and I doubt it will be something one would have to buy in advance as intentionally hitting a game animal is still no doubt illegal. Somehow it is going to have to be designed for 'after the fact' but I don't know how that would be managed. Maybe a call in system where an 'incident' is established and recorded so there is a way to transport it legally then pay the permit fee within a certain time frame. Hard to say.

The money will no doubt go into the ODFW general fund unless they establish something specific for it.

Last Edited:
So after that animal gets clobbered and I pay a deductible to fix my car, I now owe the state more money to harvest half of the animal that has been beat to hell by my car and is bruised to bubblegum on one side? Then I'm stuck calculating what the cost per pound this cluster is going to cost me....

No thanks.

Kinda like my brilliant idea of fabricating a stainless steel set of sea lion jaws with sharp teeth affixed to a set of pruning shears, so when you net that wild steelhead or salmon, you can take a bite out of the adipose fin and blame the missing fin to those predatory and wasteful protected animals.

So what happens if you don't have a permit and hit a deer? Is that like poaching?
I guess it's good to have it written down as an acceptable practice, just think it odd to have licensing for it.

It's another revenue resource for the government that probably won't pay for itself and very few people will get it because what are the chances they will come across roadkill that is harvestable?

Meanwhile, if the animal is a game or "fur bearing" mammal, and it is injured (not dead yet), you cannot put it out of its misery unless you have a trapper's license. You have to wait around for ODFW or a person with a license or a state trooper to show up so they can put the animal out of its misery - as you can imagine, most of these people have better things to be doing and it will take hours for them to show up, if they show up at all.

The days of someone being humane and putting an injured animal out of its misery with a shot to the head are long gone, and considered inhumane instead.

I can't find it right now, but a couple of years ago I looked it up, and despite some OSP saying it is legal, the law says it isn't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top