JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story short, got off with a warning and allowed to keep the meat, but it was something I was unaware of and kind of confusing, to me.

So, any member of the public is generally allowed to salvage roadkill, and allowed to humanely dispatch a critically injured animal, HOWEVER..... what I was not aware of. While you MAY humanely dispatch an animal struck by a vehicle, only the driver of the vehicle that struck it is legally able to salvage the animal and qualify for the salvage permit. YOU can't in that particular set of circumstances.

I don't get how that makes any sense, but evidently, that's how they roll these days.

Not that I would encourage anyone to violate the rules, but in the case that you run across a struck animal and the driver has moved on.... "It was dead when I found it" might save you some hassle. Of course, that also means you are violating the rule that you are required to report dispatching an animal to the po-po within 24hrs, too.

I still fail to see what they are trying to accomplish with that, though. Can someone enlighten me?

1662987237602.png

Good post!
Seems kinda heavy handed that the police were considering giving you a citation. would seem more productive if they would have explained the possible infraction better. looks like the rules are kinda vague and the spirit of the law would be more lenient to allow harvesting.
Of course now I am required to post the " gonna go out and buy me a 800 pound 1/2 steel bull bar bumper and do me some road huntin" joke LOL

It certainly can discourage a person from wanting to try and remain in compliance when common sense is discarded and may just come back and bite you in the nethers. That's for sure.

I'll tell you this... walking away from fresh venison liver'n'onions ain't gonna happen. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top