JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need suggestions for some optics.

Looking for a relatively inexpensive scope for one of my AR's. I have an ACOG and would love another one but can't afford something like that now. I'm looking for something in the $100 to $200 range.

Don't need a whole lot, if any, magnification, 2X to 4X would be more than enough. Don't want an electronic sight I have to turn on before use. I want to be able to grab it and go, like the ACOG.

Weaver V3. 1x-3x 1" tube. Nice little scope, duplex reticle. Around $150

Millett DMS-1. Dot/circle reticle, 1x-4x, 30mm tube. can be found under $200

There are also some 1.25-1.5 low end by 4-5 top end shotgun scopes out
there that actuall work pretty well on a AR. Simmons makes some in the
under $75 area that are fair glass.

I've got a light 16" with the Weaver V3 and a 18" HBAR with the Millett--
either works just fine. I REALLY prefer a true 1x on the bottom end.

Vortex Strikefire with the doubler screwed on...

ETA: I did a simmons 1.5x5 shotgun scope for a while, cheap, worked and let me try the low power concept for minimal investment.

243187626-XL.jpg

I have a DMS clone on one of my AR's and I love it. The real deal is the same thing as mine except it has the logo on it.

The DMS is not a true 1x-4x, though. It's more like 1.1-1.25x-4x. Still very conducive to shooting With both eyes open.

I also have an EoTech that I love but same as the DMS scopes, is pretty heavy.

Having the option to use more than 1x is a really nice thing if your gun can accurately shoot over 400 yards.

Vortex Strikefire with the doubler screwed on...

ETA: I did a simmons 1.5x5 shotgun scope for a while, cheap, worked and let me try the low power concept for minimal investment.

243187626-XL.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Low power is exactly what I had in mind since I'm lousy with a long gun. Anything out past 200M is pretty safe from me. Just want a something to help get on target quick and make those closer shots count.

By the way, did Mark thake that pic?

Thanks for the advice. Low power is exactly what I had in mind since I'm lousy with a long gun. Anything out past 200M is pretty safe from me. Just want a something to help get on target quick and make those closer shots count.

By the way, did Mark thake that pic?

Yes he did...that was @ ARPC January '08 IIRC.

Try Redfield Revolution 2x7x30mm. I have a friend that mounted on FAL and it work great. Redfield make in Oregon.... you can buy it for $150 and will not disappoint. It another Leupold branch so it life time warrantee. Hard to find but it worth every dollars.

Keep you eye out for a used Leupold Mark AR. They make a 1-4 power. Just bought a new Mark AR 3-9 for a little under $300 from a friend. Really really good scope for the money. I've owned a couple Mark 2's and I believe they're essentially the same scope but less expensive.

I have/had a mark AR. Good clear glass. on 1.5x it gets a little bit of a fish eye effect. Its very subtle, but noticeable. Overall not a bad scope. Its the lightest of the 1-4x that I found that was of decent quality and one of the shorter ones too. I wasn't too fond of the variable eye relief on it though. It just didn't work with my set up

I was looking at the leatherwood/hi-lux CMR scope. Lots of people seem to like it. It has a nifty BDC/CQB reticle. But its heavier, and it got the whole made in china quality thing going on with it.

Theres the Konus 1-4x. Not a bad option. Definitly in the budget. But it does distort out on the lower power mag settings from what the reviews I have found have said. Again a cheap chinese scope.

Millet is good, but again made in china. Frankly I think a lot of these scopes are made at the same factory over there.

Nikon has there M223 1-4 scope. Not a bad deal for $250-280. Deal breaker for me was the 3moa dot in the middle. But the elevation knob is set up for BDC which is kind of a neat feature. If the reticle didn't have a 3moa dot I probably would have thought more on that scope, but at 300yds 3moa=9" which would obscure a lot of targets, especially the 8" gongs they use at PR.

Now, getting a little bit out of your price an/or magnification range you can get to some cool stuff. Right now SWFA has the Vortex Viper 2-7x scope on sale for $179 which is a screamin buy. I just picked up a high mag scope for a bolt gun and I am very impressed with it. Super clear glass, good in the shadows, definite bang for the buck. Especially with it on sale.

There is the sightron 1-4x that has a $75 rebate on it right now. But even then it would be around $300. People seem to like them though.

After that there is the Bushnell 4200 1.5-4x scope. This is the one that I have on the way right now. you can get one on Amazon right now for $318 shipped and there is a rebate to get a free camo pull over fleece. Its got an illuminated dot with german #4 cross hairs. People seem to really like the glass on them and they aren't super long or super heavy. Hopefully it shows up on saturday and I will have something to play with this weekend. I am putting my money on this being the scope for me. I would like to have a BDC reticle, but I can live with out one as long as the eye relief is constant (which this one is supposed to be) and not 4" like most of them are. Once I get it in you are more than welcome to check it out if you want.

There is an ok thread over on ar15.com in the ar15 optics forum about the 1-4x scopes. But its a lot of the $800+ scopes that they focus on. Anyway, there is a lot to consider with these scopes, and as I am finding out, there is a lot of compromising that you will probably be doing

Just got my 4200 1-4x in the mail and its a sweet little scope. No BDC, but the constant eye relief and the nice glass are exactly what I wanted/needed. Plus its illuminate which is a definite plus. Can't wait to get some rings and mount it up.

Thanks for all the input folk. I think I've settled in a nice little BSA Stealth tactical scope. At about $120-$140, it's got 4X fixed magnification, rangefinding reticle and it includes rings and mount. I'll let ya know how it pans out.

Thanks

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top