JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need suggestions for some optics.

Looking for a relatively inexpensive scope for one of my AR's. I have an ACOG and would love another one but can't afford something like that now. I'm looking for something in the $100 to $200 range.

Don't need a whole lot, if any, magnification, 2X to 4X would be more than enough. Don't want an electronic sight I have to turn on before use. I want to be able to grab it and go, like the ACOG.

Weaver V3. 1x-3x 1" tube. Nice little scope, duplex reticle. Around $150

Millett DMS-1. Dot/circle reticle, 1x-4x, 30mm tube. can be found under $200

There are also some 1.25-1.5 low end by 4-5 top end shotgun scopes out
there that actuall work pretty well on a AR. Simmons makes some in the
under $75 area that are fair glass.

I've got a light 16" with the Weaver V3 and a 18" HBAR with the Millett--
either works just fine. I REALLY prefer a true 1x on the bottom end.

Vortex Strikefire with the doubler screwed on...

ETA: I did a simmons 1.5x5 shotgun scope for a while, cheap, worked and let me try the low power concept for minimal investment.

243187626-XL.jpg

I have a DMS clone on one of my AR's and I love it. The real deal is the same thing as mine except it has the logo on it.

The DMS is not a true 1x-4x, though. It's more like 1.1-1.25x-4x. Still very conducive to shooting With both eyes open.

I also have an EoTech that I love but same as the DMS scopes, is pretty heavy.

Having the option to use more than 1x is a really nice thing if your gun can accurately shoot over 400 yards.

Vortex Strikefire with the doubler screwed on...

ETA: I did a simmons 1.5x5 shotgun scope for a while, cheap, worked and let me try the low power concept for minimal investment.

243187626-XL.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Low power is exactly what I had in mind since I'm lousy with a long gun. Anything out past 200M is pretty safe from me. Just want a something to help get on target quick and make those closer shots count.

By the way, did Mark thake that pic?

Thanks for the advice. Low power is exactly what I had in mind since I'm lousy with a long gun. Anything out past 200M is pretty safe from me. Just want a something to help get on target quick and make those closer shots count.

By the way, did Mark thake that pic?

Yes he did...that was @ ARPC January '08 IIRC.

Try Redfield Revolution 2x7x30mm. I have a friend that mounted on FAL and it work great. Redfield make in Oregon.... you can buy it for $150 and will not disappoint. It another Leupold branch so it life time warrantee. Hard to find but it worth every dollars.

Keep you eye out for a used Leupold Mark AR. They make a 1-4 power. Just bought a new Mark AR 3-9 for a little under $300 from a friend. Really really good scope for the money. I've owned a couple Mark 2's and I believe they're essentially the same scope but less expensive.

I have/had a mark AR. Good clear glass. on 1.5x it gets a little bit of a fish eye effect. Its very subtle, but noticeable. Overall not a bad scope. Its the lightest of the 1-4x that I found that was of decent quality and one of the shorter ones too. I wasn't too fond of the variable eye relief on it though. It just didn't work with my set up

I was looking at the leatherwood/hi-lux CMR scope. Lots of people seem to like it. It has a nifty BDC/CQB reticle. But its heavier, and it got the whole made in china quality thing going on with it.

Theres the Konus 1-4x. Not a bad option. Definitly in the budget. But it does distort out on the lower power mag settings from what the reviews I have found have said. Again a cheap chinese scope.

Millet is good, but again made in china. Frankly I think a lot of these scopes are made at the same factory over there.

Nikon has there M223 1-4 scope. Not a bad deal for $250-280. Deal breaker for me was the 3moa dot in the middle. But the elevation knob is set up for BDC which is kind of a neat feature. If the reticle didn't have a 3moa dot I probably would have thought more on that scope, but at 300yds 3moa=9" which would obscure a lot of targets, especially the 8" gongs they use at PR.

Now, getting a little bit out of your price an/or magnification range you can get to some cool stuff. Right now SWFA has the Vortex Viper 2-7x scope on sale for $179 which is a screamin buy. I just picked up a high mag scope for a bolt gun and I am very impressed with it. Super clear glass, good in the shadows, definite bang for the buck. Especially with it on sale.

There is the sightron 1-4x that has a $75 rebate on it right now. But even then it would be around $300. People seem to like them though.

After that there is the Bushnell 4200 1.5-4x scope. This is the one that I have on the way right now. you can get one on Amazon right now for $318 shipped and there is a rebate to get a free camo pull over fleece. Its got an illuminated dot with german #4 cross hairs. People seem to really like the glass on them and they aren't super long or super heavy. Hopefully it shows up on saturday and I will have something to play with this weekend. I am putting my money on this being the scope for me. I would like to have a BDC reticle, but I can live with out one as long as the eye relief is constant (which this one is supposed to be) and not 4" like most of them are. Once I get it in you are more than welcome to check it out if you want.

There is an ok thread over on ar15.com in the ar15 optics forum about the 1-4x scopes. But its a lot of the $800+ scopes that they focus on. Anyway, there is a lot to consider with these scopes, and as I am finding out, there is a lot of compromising that you will probably be doing

Just got my 4200 1-4x in the mail and its a sweet little scope. No BDC, but the constant eye relief and the nice glass are exactly what I wanted/needed. Plus its illuminate which is a definite plus. Can't wait to get some rings and mount it up.

Thanks for all the input folk. I think I've settled in a nice little BSA Stealth tactical scope. At about $120-$140, it's got 4X fixed magnification, rangefinding reticle and it includes rings and mount. I'll let ya know how it pans out.

Thanks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads