JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad ot have brought back some memories ...It is fun to shoot with your daughter.
My friend Dave and I have 30 odd original muzzleloaders ... during the summer we travel around and show them off ... I would be happy to have you and your daughter shoot some...:D

( a couple more bags in the lower pic... just to stay on topic :p )
Andy
DSC05463.jpg DSC05691.jpg

Last Edited:
There's a rule that applies to predators both 2- and 4-legged: "Don't Look Like Lunch."

Two ways to achieve this: one is to look like taking your crap won't yield anything, the other is to look like you can put up more fight than they want to deal with.

What's the app? Are we trying to get in and out of the neighborhood or around town without being noticed by Butthurt Bloomie Bedwetters, are we dodging rioting thugs and looters trying to get home or get the family to a Bug Out Location? One situation has different operational requirements (note avoidance of N-word again) than another. :)

Another way to define it, which I'm sure our veteran BTDT's have known longer than I've been alive, is to start with the goal you're stocking FOR. Define the "mission", then work backward from that. Are we just trying to get home? Are we running off a multi-man armed home-invasion crew? Are we LRRP's on patrol trying to find Charlie and call in the heavies without getting drawn into a protracted firefight? Are we trying to kick Rommel's bubblegum all the way back to Berlin? Are we on a Search & Destroy hunting Jackass Jihadi?

Like I said, decide what you're trying to do first--how you gear up and kit out will depend on what you're trying to do with it. :)

Well this thread really took a left turn. Let's get back to how we store our mags vs. how many mags we need want or require based on our own plans.

I like to store a cache of pmags in a hard sided piece of carry on luggage. It is a pretty discreet option when compared to a pelican or condor case.

I would love to see more ages of what you guys use for storage.

I use ammo cans to store my ammo as mentioned upthread. Unusual ways of carriage of mags and the likes? Eh not that unusual myself.... a variety of bags do provide the method. Mini range bags, sports dufflebags, backpacks, ALICE packs, Usgi Kit Bags;
The nice thing about the Large ALICE ruck is that those 3 little pockets up top are perfect for 6 30rd usgi mags... little tight due to age but they work. Can put bandolier or low profile chest rigs inside the ruck with additional ammo; or from vehicle; inside the USGI kit bag or larger duffle bag or storage bins with 30cal and 50cal ammo cans in there. This is for the AR15s and handgun mags; the hipoint 9mm mags currently travel in an Indy styled satchel bandolier that I made myself.
If I must have some AR15 mags at the ready; these are the options I have for carrying them.
A split chest rig with 4 triple mag pouches and 2 canteen covers
A vest rig with USGI MOLLE equipment in LBV style setup with old school pistol belt rig
A mini-chest rig with USGI MOLLE pouches but not as heavily equipped
I do have a chest rig for the hi point 9mm magazines but currently it carries only the 4 20rd mags and can carry the 10rd mags loose in an utility pocket. Right now though the Indy Satchel does a great job.
All the chest rigs and the Satchel bags, I made myself. Only the USGI MOLLE Medic vest is not self-made.

20170128_113629.jpg 20170115_111244.jpg 20170101_122800.jpg 20170101_115902.jpg 20161106_012324.jpg

If it helps, the Go Bag I keep my hardware in when packing Extra Heavy on Reloads is a softside leather briefcase.

Weirdest? Back before The Ex became The Ex, we always had her keep a few spare mags in her purse so that if I went down she'd have her own reloads ready to pick up where I left off fighting her way out of trouble. (Standing Instructions: "If I go down, GRAB THE GUN AND RUN!") In retrospect, I suppose I should have known it was probably over when she gave me my magazines back...

Honest question. Why do you need so many magazines? I have a couple of pistols right now and am looking at getting my first AR very soon. I constantly see people with dozens/hundreds of magazines. Why is that? Do you keep them all full?

Sorry to thread-jack.

The number of mags a person needs might be predicated on

• How much you hate reloading mags at the range. Some people like to load mags while they're watching TV and then just shoot at the range
  • How much you believe that some large scale civil unrest event/zombie apocalypse will happen in your lifetime
  • How likely you believe that the government will step in and regulate magazine capacity at some point during your lifetime. One example of this is California where they initially limited mag capacity to 10 rounds but grandfathered in existing mags above 10 rounds...except now they're eliminating the grandfather clause and confiscating all mags above 10 rounds.

Also, maintaining separate Training and Combat inventories... mags do wear, and you don't want the ones you put the hard wear on to be the ones you fight with when SHTF.

Thinking for me is a 'qual shoot' on the War Store once or twice a year to test function, then do the rest of the training with Expendables. Bonus, worn ones add unexpected realistic Malfunction Clearance Training ...

Working in renovation, I just use a toolbag. Looks just like any other in the back of the truck, and I know which one it is because it`s the only one by Ryobi - Blue means friendly->Friendly equals gun.
A good toolbag is tough as hell and has plenty of pockets which means a couple reloads, blowout kit as well as a bottle of water, some granola bars and emergency cash.
At home I have my ammo cans stacked neatly by my desk, all clearly marked and perfectly organized. Ancillary things, things like slings, bipods, extra cleaning gear and so on is kept in boxes tucked away neatly in the corners or under bookshelves. The closet houses 4 white boxes containing mostly cold/wet weather stuff (hood for my coat, thick gloves, scarves, etc). Hanging on the wall above them are a few hats and a small selection of ear protection. At my desk are 4 loaded AKS-74 mags (thanks again, @notbrodie!) as well as well as stationary, plenty of pens and several knives. Rifles and like weapons rest to my immediate left.

I`m very methodical.

Working in renovation, I just use a toolbag. Looks just like any other in the back of the truck, and I know which one it is because it`s the only one by Ryobi - Blue means friendly->Friendly equals gun.
A good toolbag is tough as hell and has plenty of pockets which means a couple reloads, blowout kit as well as a bottle of water, some granola bars and emergency cash.
At home I have my ammo cans stacked neatly by my desk, all clearly marked and perfectly organized. Ancillary things, things like slings, bipods, extra cleaning gear and so on is kept in boxes tucked away neatly in the corners or under bookshelves. The closet houses 4 white boxes containing mostly cold/wet weather stuff (hood for my coat, thick gloves, scarves, etc). Hanging on the wall above them are a few hats and a small selection of ear protection. At my desk are 4 loaded AKS-74 mags (thanks again, @notbrodie!) as well as well as stationary, plenty of pens and several knives. Rifles and like weapons rest to my immediate left.

I`m very methodical.

Love me some 74' action :D

Lots of tools like drill/battery combos are sold in big tough plastic "briefcases" with surprisingly good latches and handles. I've removed the partitions from a few of those, and they're great for heavy ammo. Cushy foam liners make them good for pistols, mags, etc., too.

And there's this...

47 fiddle.JPG

Lots of tools like drill/battery combos are sold in big tough plastic "briefcases" with surprisingly good latches and handles. I've removed the partitions from a few of those, and they're great for heavy ammo. Cushy foam liners make them good for pistols, mags, etc., too.

And there's this...

View attachment 363660

Good to see that your music lessons weren't a total waste :D

If I wanted to pack a goodly amount of ammo/mags in the truck, and there was any possibility of leaving the vehicle unattended, then I would not want a bag that looked like it might have a laptop, tool, etc. I'm thinking a filthy looking diaper bag, next to a child's booster seat.

Last Edited:
How many powder horns does one person need?:D
Ideally one should have a shooting pouch and horn for each rifle owned.
Nothing is more frustrating that having two rifles share a bag ... Head out to a rifle match ... and find out you have .375 rounds balls in the bag for the rifle in hand , which shoots a .530 round ball. :eek:
Not that I have ever done this...:rolleyes::D ( lately )
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads