JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as I am packing stuff down and organizing for a move to a larger place, I decided to lay my AR15s onto the 23.5"x12.5" Black Hawk Industries internal frame insert kit to see just how they fit... what a difference 4 inches make!
20210919_151325.jpg
16" .223 Wylde chamber M4 style upper on left, 12" 6.5 Grendel 733 style upper on right

20210919_151254.jpg
The 16" M4 style semiauto, clearly I would need to make the bag large enough..

20210919_151141.jpg
The 12" 733ish pistol with cheek rest kit, if I make the bag exactly this shape/size, it works and can be low profile.

For the actual bag design, I'm torn between 3 ideas; one a "rolltop" messenger bag style, which might be easy but takes more fabric... versus "ALICE/vintage rucksack with internal frame" design, versus "zippered large school bag", versus something else entirely... I am no big fan of zippers, even though I have access to good YKK zippers, and I am not a big fan of the rolltop messenger bag designs although I will grant that these are pretty useful... but realistically they would make retrieving the gun halves out harder. The bag designs in mind will have a padded divider separating the guns from the other things.. I may go as far as using stiff plastic insert divider with MOLLE and snaps for attaching mag pouches and bandolier(s), as well as having the ability to put organization in there.. but I ain't sure yet, I may go for sewn mag pockets on the divider, and have limited MOLLE/webbing loops... less stitching to glean on the outer.

Messenger bags are all the rage now, so anything that looks vintage should be real hip and not draw attention to you! Nothing screams "Rifle" inside like Mil Spec looking gear, especially MOLLE in Coyote! Even the Steam Punk looking stuff, like leather with brass fixins would be noticed for being cool, NOT for being a gun bag!

Or do what I do, an old kids school backpack I got at Good Will, with things broken down and ready to go! I can get both my 607 clone and winny 97 take down in there with ready mags and spares, and then shove a few thin hard bound books in and maybe a Sammich and chips were good to go!

Messenger bags are all the rage now, so anything that looks vintage should be real hip and not draw attention to you! Nothing screams "Rifle" inside like Mil Spec looking gear, especially MOLLE in Coyote! Even the Steam Punk looking stuff, like leather with brass fixins would be noticed for being cool, NOT for being a gun bag!

Or do what I do, an old kids school backpack I got at Good Will, with things broken down and ready to go! I can get both my 607 clone and winny 97 take down in there with ready mags and spares, and then shove a few thin hard bound books in and maybe a Sammich and chips were good to go!
I haven't found a "kids backpack" thats as large as this frame insert (just shy of 24 inches and 13 inches wide)... most hiking backpacks seem to have a sewn divider splitting the middle so they don't have the vertical space available... going to chew on this a while. Looking at some designs online... noticed most "covert takedown rifle backpacks" don't look that covert... especially given a very tall and narrow shape....

FYI there are a number of low profile bags on the market you could use as is or modify internals. Fe Rick Steve's travel bags will fit most any gun broken down (including 16" AR) or if you need quick deployment 5:11 has pull-to-deploy sling bags that will fit my brn-180 12.5" with folding stock not broken down (but stock/brace must be folded of course).

FYI there are a number of low profile bags on the market you could use as is or modify internals. Fe Rick Steve's travel bags will fit most any gun broken down (including 16" AR) or if you need quick deployment 5:11 has pull-to-deploy sling bags that will fit my brn-180 12.5" with folding stock not broken down (but stock/brace must be folded of course).
Right, I'm kinda cheap, but also wanting to be a little more... unique. There is an idea that I've been drawing up and thinking... that I am not totally sure would work good, as it would require either hard plastic perimeter insert (like laptop case type or suitcase), or being full of stuff to work.... its basically zipperless panel opening bag, but utilizing the roll closure concept... the flap edges on 3 sides, rolls into the corresponding 3 sides loose edges, then with surface mounted buckles, I compress the flap tight against the frame side... with a hard perimeter insert, this could work, especially if the flap is also hard/padded... and in effect it would allow me to put pelican case foam inside it... might actually be workable...

Fwiw I paid $5 at goodwill for a Rick Steve's combo backpack (one zipper was broken but it has two for the same zipper). Also the sling packs can be had as cheap as $38 new (but that was a 2019 clearance so may not be around anymore?). The 5:11 bags they are way overbuilt.

Here is a link to the Rick Steve's backpack FYI. In addition to this one I got at goodwill, I bought a classic version one back in the late 90's and it's been in use since. Inside waterproofing is delaminating on it but other than that it's almost as new which is nuts considering it's been all over Europe and hauled overly heavy loads of guns and ammo to the range etc. over the years.

Last Edited:
Just so's everyone knows... I want to make a bag for this insert that can do the duty I want it to do. The insert shown, has 2 burly aluminum frame stays in sewn channels on the other side. The bag that the insert was designed and made for; is the Black Hawk Industries Raptor X3 backpack which is ridiculously large, heavy, and overly complicated with all the straps, zippers, pockets.
bh-603d06bk.jpg blackhawk-raptor-x3-pack-black-usgi_1_300df88202bb9bd6507e33bd5684aa6e.jpg blackhawk-raptor-x3-pack-black-usgi_1_300df88202bb9bd6507e33bd5684aa6e (1).jpg

I can appreciate you wanting to use that insert but that insert is just too wide for my tastes, and any bag you make for it is going to be wide and bulky too. I'm also not a fan of carrying a rifle in a broken down configuration unless the bag is just strictly going to be for transport to the range and back. But if the purpose of the bag is to be able to have a rifle with me incase crap hits the fan, then I want that rifle to be as close to being ready, as possible.

I'm much more a fan of the covert style rifle bags that look like they could be a tennis racket case. Here's a Sneaky bag as an example...

g-Rife-Cases-Rifle-Case-01_LoRes-500x500_1024x1024.jpg

And here is an actual tennis racket case which I think could also be used to house a rifle or two. These cases can be had for relatively cheap, especially in a second hand sports store.

head-tour-team-combi-racket-bag.jpg

Just so's everyone knows... I want to make a bag for this insert that can do the duty I want it to do. The insert shown, has 2 burly aluminum frame stays in sewn channels on the other side. The bag that the insert was designed and made for; is the Black Hawk Industries Raptor X3 backpack which is ridiculously large, heavy, and overly complicated with all the straps, zippers, pockets.
View attachment 1035802View attachment 1035801View attachment 1035800
That just screams "Steal Me" or "Tactical"

I can appreciate you wanting to use that insert but that insert is just too wide for my tastes, and any bag you make for it is going to be wide and bulky too. I'm also not a fan of carrying a rifle in a broken down configuration unless the bag is just strictly going to be for transport to the range and back. But if the purpose of the bag is to be able to have a rifle with me incase crap hits the fan, then I want that rifle to be as close to being ready, as possible.

I'm much more a fan of the covert style rifle bags that look like they could be a tennis racket case. Here's a Sneaky bag as an example...

View attachment 1036153

And here is an actual tennis racket case which I think could also be used to house a rifle or two. These cases can be had for relatively cheap, especially in a second hand sports store.

View attachment 1036154
Have you seen me? ;) I am rather wide... however, FYI, that insert apparently fits ALICE frame sleeves.. which is much narrower than most commercial hiking backpack frames... granted its not as narrow as the mountaineering internal framed backpacks but this width seems to accommodate the broken down 6.5 Grendel pistol with plenty of space for things to not poke at the sides... if I were to carry either the 16" AR or the 12" AR complete, as in not taken down/partially disassembled, I'd need a much longer/taller backpack or case, and there's not many out there that doesn't scream "potential rifle/golf clubs/tennis rackets/snow gear/tools/gym hoe" :p

That just screams "Steal Me" or "Tactical"
Yuup.
I'm thinking if I have to suck it up and get zippers... which I loathe, just because they are annoying to size, cut, and sew on without messing up...

Maybe a form similar if not identical to these? I do have 1,000D Cordura in Tan 499, Coyote Brown, OD, Camo Green, and Woodland.... for the bottoms. For the tops, other than Woodland, I could probably acquire 500D fabric in other colors to maintain a "civilian look" to the bag.. I do have 500D basic black. Still got the weird green fabric.. in addition to all the military greens, tans, browns I have :rolleyes: hmm I still got a huge cone of blaze orange 69 bonded nylon thread. Hm. Something to think about.
m_5bef2b363e0caa57a09aa994.jpg s-l1600.jpg

The problem with any "covert" bag is if it isn't a regular backpack (and I do mean one that you can buy at target or whatever) then to most anyone who is into guns, that Eberlestock cherry bomb, or that extra long backpack or anything with molle isn't actually very covert, it's obvious. If the goal is just to go to the range and back, sure, it works, but if the goal is to actually move around without raising suspicion, those won't do.

A LAW folder on a pistol brace and an 8.5" upper in .300 blk can fit in a regular backpack, and especially if upper and lower are separated.

The problem with any "covert" bag is if it isn't a regular backpack (and I do mean one that you can buy at target or whatever) then to most anyone who is into guns, that Eberlestock cherry bomb, or that extra long backpack or anything with molle isn't actually very covert, it's obvious. If the goal is just to go to the range and back, sure, it works, but if the goal is to actually move around without raising suspicion, those won't do.

A LAW folder on a pistol brace and an 8.5" upper in .300 blk can fit in a regular backpack, and especially if upper and lower are separated.
That's why I'm looking real hard at the tall hiking backpacks, which might be more useful in size for also going into the woods... a lot of people out here seem to be a fan of large school bags and the like. On the other hand... since I am also an artist.... this would be silly huge (it carries canvases) but...
51CnAT61pJL._SL500_.jpg

Edit. The issue I have is.. I have just the 12" and 16" ARs. No matter what, they're just not gonna fit easily into a schoolbag of under 20" height.

So these are of the tactical nature, and right at about 20" (so maybe too small) but also double as body armor for those SHTF moments.... Kinda spendy but just throwing another couple options out there.

You can also just buy the bulletproof panels to put in your own backpack.

Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

**Edit to add** Saw this one too. A little less tactical. No bullet protection.

1632211524636.png

Last Edited:
Check out Osprey bags. I have this one right here(Farpoint80). It's built tough.

They have other models that might better suit your needs, or give you some inspiration if you're planning on fabricating your own.

1632212904661.png
1632212940664.png
1632212978202.png

That's why I'm looking real hard at the tall hiking backpacks, which might be more useful in size for also going into the woods... a lot of people out here seem to be a fan of large school bags and the like. On the other hand... since I am also an artist.... this would be silly huge (it carries canvases) but...
View attachment 1036160

Edit. The issue I have is.. I have just the 12" and 16" ARs. No matter what, they're just not gonna fit easily into a schoolbag of under 20" height.
Mission dictates gear. A square peg and a round hole type situation is what you have. You'd be better off to drop some money on a keltec Sub2000 and have a working option than a non working option that stays at home, if your intent on carrying a "more than a handgun" firearm.

Mission dictates gear. A square peg and a round hole type situation is what you have. You'd be better off to drop some money on a keltec Sub2000 and have a working option than a non working option that stays at home, if your intent on carrying a "more than a handgun" firearm.
That kind of thinking plays a large part in the apparent lack of options when it comes to carrying firearms of all kinds. Its also why there's so much "copycatting" in the shooting gear world..... but not so much actual "out of box thinking" .

Edit. To fit a square peg into a round hole, one needs to chisel the corners and square up the hole, instead of tossing the square peg and making or buying a round peg to fit ;)

That kind of thinking plays a large part in the apparent lack of options when it comes to carrying firearms of all kinds. Its also why there's so much "copycatting" in the shooting gear world..... but not so much actual "out of box thinking" .

Edit. To fit a square peg into a round hole, one needs to chisel the corners and square up the hole, instead of tossing the square peg and making or buying a round peg to fit ;)
So hurry up and cut down that barrel then and be done with it :s0149:

It's not that lack of thinking has led to limited options, it's that the laws of physics exist and if you want to transport something that is about 18-24" in length just for the upper, you have to work with those limitations. The keltec sub2000 folds in half and becomes 16" to store, you just have to decide what is your primary goal, absolute reduction of being spotted/made or less than that, in order to carry something larger.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top