JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going elk hunting sat for opening rifle season.
I've been hunting the last 3 years and gotten nothing so I'm hoping this is the year for the freezer to be filled up.
But I only get out a couple days a year.

Good job everyone else with some meat packed away!

That first bear is big. Nice.
When I look at that black tail, It gets my agent orange fired up. Them damn things are a mystery. You also can't miss a black tail with the color of there antlers. That bloody look.

The Bear in the last pic from central Oregon was around #350-75 or so.
The one my son took when he came home on leave was a truly huge one that went 6' 10" and was at 500#+ live weight. My son is 6'2" standing there so that gives a little perspective to the Bears size.
He was around 14-16 years old according to ODF&W. Scared up and had several worn and broken teeth. steves bear.jpg

So far I have only seen one bear and 2 cats in Oregon maybe next year I'll get tags for them.
Oh buddy! Cats, those are hard. Bears? Just pick your spots. Most guys think spring is easier than fall. I think fall is, but I could be just off in the spring locations. Learn your berry spots. I think the closer you get to the coast the smaller the bears get, but more of them. I could be wrong there also. Judging a bear at distance is hard. Heads tell the most.

That one that the son took was no more than nine miles off the surf, and I'll second the fact about cats, spooky ghosts that keep me way aware that I'm not the best hunter out there. I agree with you Oregon, fall bear are fairly easy to hunt + they are far better table fare than them skinny, nasty tasting springers. Blackberrys, salal, huckleberrys and apples are where it's at, find them, scat and good wind direction combined with good optics and it's pretty much a given that enough time spotting and you'll get your Bear.

Hold on, is that my dog you shot? That isn't even a full sized pickup.
The last blacktail I shot was that size. But I just shot one. Your a MOD on NWFA and you shot a second deer? Naughty boy...

My efforts for my first year produced a lot of knowledge and I at least did see a deer... However, I also learned a valuable lesson - have my binoculars at the ready!!! By the time I looked away to grab those suckers, he or she bolted into the woods. I considered trying to follow but I was about done for the day. If I knew for sure it was a buck Id have been off into the brush like a spark on the Fourth of July lol. Lesson learned!!!

I'm going to try again in a couple weeks durring late season.

One thing I've learned is if/when you see blacktail deer, one of the best things you can (usually) do is just FREEZE and watch them for a moment. If they see you and run off, you'd be surprised how many times they circle around back to nearly the same place.

If you see one and instantly go crashing straight into the bush after them you'll never catch up to them because chances are they're already behind you.

Sometimes they'll just stand there, because more often than not you won't see them and they'll let you just walk on by.

They're one of the most difficult North American game animals to bag.

I was elk hunting today. Saw 1 buck, 2 does, 20 elk, and 1 very nice brown colored black bear.
It didn't help for a rather disrespectful dude, to ride past us on the trail on his side by side. Which is against the law, unless your needing to retrieve your animal. If he wouldn't of hauled butt past us, I'm guessing we would of had those 20 elk near us. When I saw the elk, it was first I heard shooting just above us, and they just exploded across the hill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top