JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting. I was thinking there'd be more still hunting and brush flushing.
Rabbit hunting can be a lot of brush flushing. Just walking a plain or high desert with a shotgun will work.

I guess it depends on where you ultimately end up hunting. High desert will be a great place to just walk around throwing rocks or sticks around. If you do this it would be worth getting your upland tags so you can shoot just about everything that hops up from a bush.

If you do this it would be worth getting your upland tags so you can shoot just about everything that hops up from a bush.

Fair. Although I don't know enough about upland game to feel comfortable hunting it. Hell, I couldn't even tell you the differences between the birds, or recognize them quickly enough to take a shot, at least not by Saturday. To say nothing of trying to figure out the whole validation/stamp process.

I've shot a lot of trap, so I'd be comfortable with the actual shooting part, but navigating the world of upland bird hunting in a week seems like a lot.

That said, it's a good suggestion and I'm considering it.

Fair. Although I don't know enough about upland game to feel comfortable hunting it. Hell, I couldn't even tell you the differences between the birds, or recognize them quickly enough to take a shot, at least not by Saturday. To say nothing of trying to figure out the whole validation/stamp process.

I've shot a lot of trap, so I'd be comfortable with the actual shooting part, but navigating the world of upland bird hunting in a week seems like a lot.

That said, it's a good suggestion and I'm considering it.
You're likely going to see dove and quail while out in the high desert areas, if that's were you end up hunting. Those are easily recognized. Other bigger birds you may want to research a bit more to familiarize yourself.

ODFW Upland Game Bird Species - Grouse

In theory you shouldn't be stumbling up on a waterfowl in these areas so it's not like you can shoot something you shouldn't, and Turkeys are pretty obvious. That's why I pretty much said you should be good to shoot anything that pops up. Hell, even a rattle snake if you happen upon one.

Shooting trap and shooting wing is completely different. You will take down a bird buy shooting it dead on, sure, but you will be be picking a lot of shot out of it, or essentially destroy what decent parts there are to eat on one.

Same kind of goes for rabbits. That's why I don't prefer hunting them with a shotgun. Shoot them in the head with a rimfire and your good to go. Rabbit is a very tasty meal. We usually pressure cook one whole skinned and gutted and it will make a good stew or whatnot. Basically treated like chicken. Enchiladas are pretty good using left over rabbit.

If you want to try it first, there are a few grocery stores that sell farm raised rabbit around the area.

Interesting. So I could add dove and quail to the list pretty easily.

From what Hunter's Ed went over with shooting wing, it seemed like there was more leading the shot than with trap. I'll do a little more research. I appreciate all your advice! Hunting is pretty challenging to get into if you don't have any prior experience.

If I do snag any rabbit this weekend I'm leaning towards a classic stew, or frying it up. I've eaten farm-raised before and thought it was pretty good. We'll see.

Interesting. So I could add dove and quail to the list pretty easily.

From what Hunter's Ed went over with shooting wing, it seemed like there was more leading the shot than with trap. I'll do a little more research. I appreciate all your advice! Hunting is pretty challenging to get into if you don't have any prior experience.

If I do snag any rabbit this weekend I'm leaning towards a classic stew, or frying it up. I've eaten farm-raised before and thought it was pretty good. We'll see.
Hunting is a lot harder on paper and in wording than it is when your out there.

It's pretty simple when you are out hunting.

Don't be afraid to F up either. I've learned by F'ing up.

I know you were speaking to someone else, but personally, I want to eat what I kill, or use it's fur. Otherwise I have a hard time seeing the point of hunting rabbit.

I agree. Stick with cottontails. They abound. Tasty lil guys too. My family was raised on wabbits back in the '50s.

I agree. Stick with cottontails. They abound. Tasty lil guys too. My family was raised on wabbits back in the '50s.

As long as I can find them, that's the preferred option. If I get through most of the day without much luck, I'll lower my standards and maybe we'll be eating fried jackrabbit for dinner.

As long as I can find them, that's the preferred option. If I get through most of the day without much luck, I'll lower my standards and maybe we'll be eating fried jackrabbit for dinner.
Taste wise, I can't tell the difference. They are usually bigger too. More meat.

After gutting, hang those cottontails upside down. Work a knife around the knees, cut the leg fur so the cut joins the cut from gutting. Then pull the whole skin down and off. Much easier than trying to flay it off with a knife.

Best of luck to you!!!

I've been out several times and getting into hunting in general when you didn't grow up being taught is hands down the hardest skill I've tried to learn on my own.

Mostly the more leg work I put into it and knowledge I gain, the more I have found people are willing to help me along.

Don't go to the Eastside......you'll be in jackrabbit country.
Stay in the Valley for cottontails.
Check with your local ODFW biologist....they might be able to point you to some spots with cottontail.
They like "low country" with blackberry patches with grassy areas between the briar patches.
They like to graze and they use the blackberries for cover.

Warning: No snowflakes....

Can't watch it right now but is this the Air Force Survival method of swinging it between your legs? YCzBW.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top