JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw three cow elk come crashing through forty yards away from me Saturday morning, but other than what looked like from fresh tracks, no deer at all this past Fri-Sun for me. Only heard three shots ringing out where we were hunting in the Santiam unit.

Big camps everywhere. I thought the coast range was packed, but this spot was pretty full up, too. And here we naively thought the spot we scouted out earlier this year a few times was going to be a good one. ha!

Went out for 2 days and saw lots of fresh dung, probably heard a buck or elk 50 yards in front of me but the brush was too thick to see him.

Came home empty handed again but with a lot more education then I had at the beginning of the year.

I scouted all summer. Saw two good areas with some little guys I want to try. Maybe get out this weekend to see if I can't stalk one down. Kind of holding off till November though. Most folks seem to give up closer to the end of the season. A little less crowded out there when they do. That and rain always helps deter the determined. I like a good ole rainy day to go get some.

Just for a little humor, I used to hunt with my step father just for the time with him. Hunting doesn't do anything for me, but I respect those who do. Hunters are the real conservationist in my mind and I don't oppose hunters, its just not for me...Honestly I would rather have a few less deer in the road on my way to work everyday, since living here I've hit three deer with my car, my wife has hit two and my middle son one deer.

Sounds like you know where all the deer are. you should have a bumper sticker that says "My cars have killed more deer than any of my guns"

maybe you should take up hunting as a public service for the safety of others. :)

Thanks and I'll take that in consideration....Maybe I should get hunters to send me their tags so I could fill them?:eek: Which I could do for a small fee (they could just send me the $$ they would have spent on their hunting trip to me, then I could fill their tag then have them pick up the critter at my the local butcher shop) :D

all loaded up and deer season is over for me now.

IMG_0829_zps30b703fc.jpg

First year back in the mule deer and RM elk. I can't lie, I don't miss the rain over there. And the tight brush. Only went deer hunting two days this year. Busy. Opening weekend was warm and slow hunting north of Boise. Went over to the Idaho side owyhees. That area, it's odd. It's a open general two point only. Anything bigger is a VERY VERY hard tag to draw. Like almost like drawing a Oregon sheep tag! And I don't know why. Oregon side owyhees is a tag that's drawn in a few years. There's a TON of deer in this unit.
Elk was yesterday. TONS of shots, from others. They sold about 3,600 tags in this unit last year, and they harvested 1,800.
Gonna head back that way next Saturday. We cut a blood trail. We tracked it backwards I think. We stopped when we found a inch long bone chip with fresh blood. On the other side of the draw some of our guys cut the same elk. They found a down but alive cow elk. We think it was shot and left. I never saw it. I have never seen bigger buck tracks though as I did yesterday. BIG prints, with deep doe claws. Found wolf tracks and crap.

I'll relish the day when my son gets back on the West coast so we can do some huntin & fishin!!!!
A bad back keeps me from big game hunting (which I loved dearly, pun intended)...

Good luck to all & SRJohn, let someone else get a shot.... lol

We hunted Beulah, unit 165 in Eastern Oregon. We found a decent herd of deer bedded down...does and fawns and a year old forked horn with a crab claw making it technically a three point. We got him on opening day.

After that the warm weather and full moon hosed hunting. As the moon got fuller, we saw less and less does and fawns, and no more bucks. It was a great hunting trip just not enough harvesting.

Funny thing; I used to hunt pretty hard on foot and as soon as I got my own horse I'd hunt 12 hours a day covering maybe 20 miles a day.
The one thing I could count on:
Deer Season; I would ride-up on a Big Bull Elk
Elk Season; I would ride up on a Big Buck
One year I rode past a 4X4 buck that was so close I could have touched him, I even stopped my horse and fished my camera out of my saddle bag, almost got a picture of him before he bailed!
That happened many times over the years!

That first bear is big. Nice.
When I look at that black tail, It gets my agent orange fired up. Them damn things are a mystery. You also can't miss a black tail with the color of there antlers. That bloody look.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top