JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We saw squat!

It was the second day before we found droppings in perfect country, a few hunters in the area but not a ton. We only heard one shot at daybreak during the 3 days we were out.

Biggest thing we saw was a yote, other then that it was chipmunk paradise.

I didn't get out until Sunday afternoon, and I found the area I planned to hunt closed (even though the ODFW website and the Wayerhouser website both showed it open. I still-hunted a bit of timber on national forest land for about 3 hours with little sign and no sightings.

Busted something out doing some target practice! I love it when the crows try snitch me out, whatever that animal was, it was not listening to the crow!

Other than that, I went into a remote area where I have not ever been before, matter of fact based on what I saw nobody was there lately. Found a big ole scrape from a year ago that had recently been revisited. That was 5 minutes into my walk from the truck.

I wont take me long once the rain begins.

I only got heat exhaustion.... but, I did find a massive deer den/super highway with lots of fresh poop. I will definitely be revisiting later. There weren't a lot of people out, and we heard about four separate shots throughout the morning.

My crew is heading out this weekend to a spot we've been scouting. Have seen some pretty good signs. Hopefully we get some of that supposed rain in, but we'll see how it goes.

Hunted desolation unit - off the middle fork by Galena off from county highway 20, primarily around victor creek. Our party of three probably saw thirty does. One of our party saw three bucks but only for a brief second as they headed over the next draw. My best friend indicated that he saw the biggest elk of his life, and that says a lot for him since he has hunted that area for the last thirty years and taken several. Overall we had a good time but no venison.

Took the son and two cousins over to the old stomping grounds on the breaks of the john day. On Sunday they came away with a decent 4x4 and a massive 3x3 and a bonus critter, a very nice 300+ pound brown phase Black Bear.

I tend to stay local for Blacktail so I'll start in possibly tomorrow morning, I really like the last five days or so though the best as the weather and rut are both usually more agreeable.
Good luck to all!

As a non-hunter I don't understand why it so hard for you guys to find the deer, just yesterday morning I startled the 3 point in my driveway 25' from my house...the afternoon before he was hanging out with the two fork end horns and does.

I haven't taken any current pix of the critters, but here is one from a few years ago in the spring. P6200222_Cropped.JPG

As a non-hunter I don't understand why it so hard for you guys to find the deer, just yesterday morning I startled the 3 point in my driveway 25' from my house...the afternoon before he was hanging out with the two fork end horns and does.

I haven't taken any current pix of the critters, but here is one from a few years ago in the spring.View attachment 107533

Yes, it is so easy...Forested Lands(1000's upon 1000's of acres), lots of other hunters out bumping animals, etc etc etc...

As you stated, you have no idea, and even if you did hunt, it might be a few years before you extinguished your supply of yard deer.

Why bother putting in your 2 cents?...

As you stated, you have no idea, and even if you did hunt, it might be a few years before you extinguished your supply of yard deer.

Why bother putting in your 2 cents?...

Just for a little humor, I used to hunt with my step father just for the time with him. Hunting doesn't do anything for me, but I respect those who do. Hunters are the real conservationist in my mind and I don't oppose hunters, its just not for me...Honestly I would rather have a few less deer in the road on my way to work everyday, since living here I've hit three deer with my car, my wife has hit two and my middle son one deer.

I finally got a day in the field today with my 12 year-old stepson. He was pretty noisy (drags his feet when he walks), but we still had a few close encounters. If I had been smart enough to put in for 1st time hunter doe tags for him, we'd have a full freezer (doe feeding in the open broadside to us at 50 yards for several minutes). We also had a buck coming in through thick 11 year old reprod; when he was about to step out 30 yards from us, the wind shifted and blew my stank in his face, and he bounded back into the trees. Still a fun day in the woods (at least we saw something on his first real hunt, and we got to eat jerky and Snickers bars and drink soda all day).

I agree with a post above, we saw much less deer sign in a proven area.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top