JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the late 80s, two years after I caught my first steelhead my wife bought me a drift boat for my birthday. I loved that boat, I got a report that there was really good steelhead fishing on the Skykomish that week so I was eager to launch and yes I did forget to put the plug in. But drift boats are way more forgiving than aluminum boats as far as dragging them up on a gravel bar to bail... :p :p:p

There was this one time.....

People: A buddy of mine and I with his P-14, powder by an Evinrude Fastwin 18.

Place: Oyster House/ memaloose boat ramp. Upper Tillamook bay. Trask/ Tillamook river tidewater. Short 2-lane ramp w/ short dock in the middle.

Time: Peak of Fall Chinook season. Well before dark.

A long line of cars/w boats form well before legal fishing time. We were a mile back probably. You get your rain gear on in pieces, moving up between pants, jackets, getting gear in the boat. I drop the boat in the water and was lucky enough to get the last spot in the lot at the ramp. When I trotted back to my buddy he leaned over a whispered in my ear. I couldn't hear what he said at first. After about the third time I realized he was saying "I forgot the plug" I forgot the plug". Damn good thing I got that last spot in the parking lot, is all I can say. If we had got there 30 minutes later that morning? Even 15 minutes. SOL, because that car/trailer would have been a half mile down the road from the ramp. People knew how to get their boats in the water and out of the way back then. That means a couple of dozen boats could have been launched in that 15 minutes. A lot of big chinooks caught in that tide water back in those days. I think we always caught at least one salmon when we fished that place.

I've got a thought for a new thread, oh
There was this one time.....

People: A buddy of mine and I with his P-14, powder by an Evinrude Fastwin 18.

Place: Oyster House/ memaloose boat ramp. Upper Tillamook bay. Trask/ Tillamook river tidewater. Short 2-lane ramp w/ short dock in the middle.

Time: Peak of Fall Chinook season. Well before dark.

A long line of cars/w boats form well before legal fishing time. We were a mile back probably. You get your rain gear on in pieces, moving up between pants, jackets, getting gear in the boat. I drop the boat in the water and was lucky enough to get the last spot in the lot at the ramp. When I trotted back to my buddy he leaned over a whispered in my ear. I couldn't hear what he said at first. After about the third time I realized he was saying "I forgot the plug" I forgot the plug". Damn good thing I got that last spot in the parking lot, is all I can say. If we had got there 30 minutes later that morning? Even 15 minutes. SOL, because that car/trailer would have been a half mile down the road from the ramp. People knew how to get their boats in the water and out of the way back then. That means a couple of dozen boats could have been launched in that 15 minutes. A lot of big chinooks caught in that tide water back in those days. I think we always caught at least one salmon when we fished that place.
Yeah it's an "OH SHlT" moment that's for sure!!!

I've got a thought for a new thread, oh

Yeah it's an "OH SHlT" moment that's for sure!!!
More like "OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT! OH SHlT!" moment, at least until the plug gets put back in... :)

New thread, "Share your exploits on the water."
Boating accident.JPG

Happens every time...

You know what they say...There are those that have and those that WILL, forget the plug. I don't poo-poo that, but in 20 years, I haven't. Mainly because I don't take my plug OUT! It's a boat, water on the outside, dry on the inside.
I kept a bin full of new bilge plugs in a box near the gas pumps at the marina, because about once a week someone would come racing up to the gas dock from the launch ramp, panicking about forgetting to put the bilge plug in. In that situation they were a bargain at $5.

That's one of them there past participles, (or was it past particles? ;))
That means you participated in it right? :p

Reminds me of the poor pit crews who never get to smell the perfume..
Oh, I was there! But she pulled off the docking of a lifetime. That she did, fer sure.

Um, that's "lose" for your edification.

This, from the guy who waxes on about past participles... :rolleyes:

I'm s'posed to cut you some slack???

I hear a faint "C'mon, man!" in the distance...

Amendments are not absolute.JPG

Well to get this thread back on track I'm going to update my previous threads about Riffe lake and the fate of the FV: Bloody Deck.

I have done a lot of maintenance since my last outing. First job was to plug every single hole by the transducer, I used a half a tube of pure silicone caulk so if there is any water getting in it's coming in from the open area of the top...:oops:
Second was a full service on the trolling motor and replacing the fuel water separator on the big ole Johnson, I tested them this morning and both of them run like a Deere... (J/K)

Now the news that you've all been waiting for!!!
Riffe Lake has more water thanks to the spring runoff and from what I've heard over the last week is that the dock is useable as are the two lanes. YIPPEE

:s0053::s0053::s0053:

The last time I fished there it was so low that they were planning on closing it again, it was like watching on the river without a boat launch.
966A9526-1522-40D8-A9FF-776DD97F2BAD.jpeg

I will keep you all posted as I know some of you want to learn my technique to catch fish instead of sitting in a boat drinking beer all day. :p:p:p

Last Edited:
Is that thing on the ramp supposed to be a dock, Jim? Looks like some kind of motorcycle, jet ski(?) jump!

Happy to hear you'll be getting some normal lake levels and the FV Bloody Decks is in ship shape again!

My boat is still covered. :( Though I DID strap the muffs on and run it for a bit a month ago.

Yes that is the actual dock, it is retractable so in high levels they can raise the dock and to certain low levels they push it down with a tractor.

Me thinks you should leave yours under cover and come up and fish with me... :D

Yes that is the actual dock, it is retractable so in high levels they can raise the dock and to certain low levels they push it down with a tractor.

Me thinks you should leave yours under cover and come up and fish with me... :D
Damn man, wouldn't I like to. It would make such a long day with the drive and all. I, apparently, don't have the gumption you have still. I admire you for that. I love seeing the stories and pics from your trips though.

Damn man, wouldn't I like to. It would make such a long day with the drive and all. I, apparently, don't have the gumption you have still. I admire you for that. I love seeing the stories and pics from your trips though.
Confucius Say :
Rent cabin
Have romantic evening with Missus in cabin in forest
Go fishing in morning

Screen-Shot-05-30-21-at-03-46-PM.png

Bring a tent and sleeping bag, Mossyrock park is one of the best parks in Washington. If I have a full week of fishing I bring my truck camper. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top