JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As usual with situations like the OP...
Time and Place...as well as being able to accurately "read" the individual in question...
Does he look friendly or approachable...?
Is he busy or harried looking...?
Where you are at...is it the spot for conversation of any type....?
And other things like that.

Also...
If one of the goals is to promote the idea that open carry isn't a big deal...
Then pointing out the open carrier , even with a polite conversation , maybe be counter-productive.
After all , how often does one talk to random strangers about a meaningful topic , when out and about...?

If open carry is to be taken as a normal , everyday and accepted practiced , then one needs to treat it like any other everyday action or activity...And no extra attention drawn to it.
Andy

I wouldn't comment about the gun someone was open carrying because drawing attention to it could cause problems that might not have happened otherwise. Many don't notice. And some who do who are nervous might best learn to not be nervous when they see that nobody else cares and nothing bad happens.

I rarely see OC'ing unless I'm in the woods, however when I'm in Idaho I see it a lot more. It's certainly a regional thing and what those living in a certain area are accustomed too. I'll be retiring in Idaho when the time comes, just seems they are closer to the way I think.

As for the meet & greet when you see an OC 'r....a tip of the hat is all that's needed.

I don't think I'd ever open carry in town. It doesn't bother me if others do it. It seems like you're asking for trouble or at least unwanted attention. I wouldn't walk around with $500 or $1000 in cash in plain site either.

If you lived in Montana or Idaho it would be a different story. Look at the element that surrounds us here in the PNW. Choose your battles is all I'm saying.

I don't think open carry west of the cascades is all that helpful to the cause, but, if a person is going to open carry that person must be an ambassador for gun rights. You don't do any of us any favors by reinforcing the caricature of gun owners as mean, angry, unfriendly assless chaps. Open carrying is a HUGE sign that says, "hey, look at me" -- so when people do that (because you freakin' asked for it), you should be friendly, willing to engage in respectful debate, have ready answers that aren't of the FU variety.

Turning to the guy in question, if he can't handle a conversation with a person who supports him open carrying, he can't handle one with someone hostile to that act, and he is just going to make the suburban soccer moms all that more anti. It's a disservice to gun owners in general and very selfish.

"you should be friendly, willing to engage in respectful debate, have ready answers that aren't of the FU variety."

Disagree.

"willing to engage in respectful debate"

Yeah, like I'm responsible to answer to some anti-gun persons chiding or some pro-gun person who thinks OC isn't for him/her so I shouldn't do it and be ready to defend my OCing. Pppppffffft!

"have ready answers" you're kidding.

No carrier should be a jerk, but they also don't answer to the world or answer to some stranger on the street. No way - No how!

If I OC, I'm responsible to have to take the time out of my day and defend what I do to some strangers personal questions pro or con?

No, I'm a good pro-gun ambassador, but that's not being an ambassador.

That's something altogether different..

I dont think I would be interested in discussing my side arm with a stranger in the grocery store. It just doesnt seem like the time or the place. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone that open carries is looking for attention. In the woods or at the range, no problem.

It sucks that the sight of an open carry in public draws so much notice/attention, from anti's and gun owners a like. It brings out a lot of strong feelings all around. This, among other reasons is why dont open carry in town.

It sucks that the sight of an open carry in public draws so much notice/attention, from anti's and gun owners a like. It brings out a lot of strong feelings all around. This, among other reasons is why dont open carry in town.
Agreed, plus the OC'r wouldn't know friend or foe until said person approaching was well within personal space.

I have always found it strange, the people who are afraid of objects [mostly firearms]. Its like the firearm is going to shoot them all by itself or the firearm is going to cause the person to shoot some one. Cars kill and injure more people than firearms, but strangely few people seem to fear them. Probably because they see cars all the time, but now days, seldom see firearms being carried.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews