JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my travels around the Lapine area...
That's kind of the thing right there.

I'm warning up to LaPine. It's totally coming along. There is a cool new distillery, a few cool food carts, and at least two decent coffee stands. That is all in addition to the "State of Jefferson", "Trump 2024", and "Let's Go Brandon" flags. And meth, let's not forget the meth.

There IS a reason that houses cost about half of what they do in Bend and it's not just the weather...

I am open to a new perspective from any of our LaPine friends. And would even pop for a coffee drink to hear it. I'm pretty close. :)

View attachment 1274551

This is what I might expect as a response, in that instance.
Interesting. I've provided small/short (not overly long) recommendations to people I see carrying in a goody manner, or making obvious signs they are carrying guns and they've all been received very graciously and often spark a conversation where they want a little more input than I originally provided.

The people I've generally had the negative reactions from, were the people who considered themselves very educated "gun people" (often ex-military) who give me a critique of something I am doing or have set up a certain way and when I provide a polite rebuttal with sound evidence as to why what I am doing makes more sense than their recommendation, they get personally offended and hold a grudge.

Examples:

Ex-marine told me putting a 3x9 variable scope on a 16" barrel AR instead of a red dot like I had done was dumb and scopes only belonged on 18" or longer barrels. and then I pointed out to him that the velocity difference between 2 inches of barrel was about 100fps and didn't make a significant difference, but me being able to see at 3x9 vs 1x made a giant difference.

Shooting class going through drills that involved reloading and re-engaging targets. I use the slide lock lever to drop the slide with pistols. It's faster than slingshotting it (fact). Trainer wanted me to sling shot it, I told him I wasn't going to train in a manner that was less efficient and even though I could very competently reload that way, it wasn't beneficial to use that method. He made the arguement "well that's how they teach it in the military and this is my class." I retorted, "that's because they are training primarily people who've never touched a pistol before and they have to try and make them successful with whatever will work best for that population, if you are unwilling to accept that a reload can competently done with using the slide lock, simply refund me my payment for this class and I will leave, otherwise lets move past this and continue with the class." He decided the money was more important than his poor training arguement.

I made the claim that a Glock 29 10mm recoils less severe than a Glock 27 .40 sw when shooting regular 10mm loads which often are near .40 sw power anyway. A guy who considered himself very knowledgeable a out guns thought I was dumb as hell. I point out, the G29 has a heavier slide and spring and if a 10mm cartridge is loaded about the same as a 40sw being fired in a lighter gun with a lighter slide and lighter spring, it (by laws of physics) would recoil more.

I could go on, but why - the point is. When encountering other humans it is helpful to act like everyone can teach you something, but sometimes that something is that they have nothing they can teach you about that given subject - and I do my best to not waste time on people like that.

Interesting. I've provided small/short (not overly long) recommendations to people I see carrying in a goody manner, or making obvious signs they are carrying guns and they've all been received very graciously and often spark a conversation where they want a little more input than I originally provided.

The people I've generally had the negative reactions from, were the people who considered themselves very educated "gun people" (often ex-military) who give me a critique of something I am doing or have set up a certain way and when I provide a polite rebuttal with sound evidence as to why what I am doing makes more sense than their recommendation, they get personally offended and hold a grudge.

Examples:

Ex-marine told me putting a 3x9 variable scope on a 16" barrel AR instead of a red dot like I had done was dumb and scopes only belonged on 18" or longer barrels. and then I pointed out to him that the velocity difference between 2 inches of barrel was about 100fps and didn't make a significant difference, but me being able to see at 3x9 vs 1x made a giant difference.

Shooting class going through drills that involved reloading and re-engaging targets. I use the slide lock lever to drop the slide with pistols. It's faster than slingshotting it (fact). Trainer wanted me to sling shot it, I told him I wasn't going to train in a manner that was less efficient and even though I could very competently reload that way, it wasn't beneficial to use that method. He made the arguement "well that's how they teach it in the military and this is my class." I retorted, "that's because they are training primarily people who've never touched a pistol before and they have to try and make them successful with whatever will work best for that population, if you are unwilling to accept that a reload can competently done with using the slide lock, simply refund me my payment for this class and I will leave, otherwise lets move past this and continue with the class." He decided the money was more important than his poor training arguement.

I made the claim that a Glock 29 10mm recoils less severe than a Glock 27 .40 sw when shooting regular 10mm loads which often are near .40 sw power anyway. A guy who considered himself very knowledgeable a out guns thought I was dumb as hell. I point out, the G29 has a heavier slide and spring and if a 10mm cartridge is loaded about the same as a 40sw being fired in a lighter gun with a lighter slide and lighter spring, it (by laws of physics) would recoil more.

I could go on, but why - the point is. When encountering other humans it is helpful to act like everyone can teach you something, but sometimes that something is that they have nothing they can teach you about that given subject - and I do my best to not waste time on people like that.
I tend to expect the worst in every situation. This has left me with a long history of pleasant surprises. I defer to your positive nature, and sincerely admire your contributions. My guess is that you have strong leadership qualities.

I tend to expect the worst in every situation. This has left me with a long history of pleasant surprises. I defer to your positive nature, and sincerely admire your contributions. My guess is that you have strong leadership qualities.
I understand your viewpoint and I agree that psychologically the deficit (or surplus) between expectations vs disappointment can make it easy to have a cynical outlook and be occasionally pleasantly surprised rather than have an optimistic outlook and be regularly disappointed.

I think that having categories for people make it easier. If you kind of divide people up into different boxes with respect to what you are talking about, you can easily differentiate between when it is time to listen, and when it is time to quickly end the conversation and be more productive elsewhere.

In my line of work (education) I work very independently, but at times have to or need to collaborate with others. Nearly all my colleagues are female. Not my preferred dynamic, but it is what it is. We just prioritize things differently. I want to be efficient and do the talking necessary to move forward with the goal that needs to be achieved, they want to have a 'hen party.' When it comes to work, experience they have at least a decade more time in the job than I do. They have experience that I do not have. It doesn't mean that all their experience is useful, but it is a possibility and a likelihood that they experienced some things that I could learn from without having to learn the hard way. So I ask questions relevant to the information I think is useful and try to give them the floor to share "anything" because they could share something I hadn't thought of. Open ended questions are really helpful, "in the years you have been teaching, what were some things you experienced or learned that made a big impact for you being a successful teacher."

I try and find the people who seem to be doing something really well and ask them questions about it.

I've likely lost the audience with this diatribe, but Bruce Lee had a extremely pertinent quote, and it went something like this -

Take in what is useful and makes you stronger/better, reject what is not and doesn't.

Even my administrator who I think it is a majorly incompetent dickhead still serves as a learning example, even if that example is what not to do or be.

The first problem was that you listened to a Marine!
:s0140:

Ok seriously… I respect people that served but not always the individual. A quick story to explain in a different situation but along the same lines.

Worked for Alarm installation company etc. Boss said," I have been doing it for the last 26 years like this!"

My response," just because you been doing it that way for 26 years doesn't mean that it's the only way."

He still uses my suggestion to this day and that was 20 years ago. That's how people should look at things.

The first problem was that you listened to a Marine!
:s0140:

Ok seriously… I respect people that served but not always the individual. A quick story to explain in a different situation but along the same lines.

Worked for Alarm installation company etc. Boss said," I have been doing it for the last 26 years like this!"

My response," just because you been doing it that way for 26 years doesn't mean that it's the only way."

He still uses my suggestion to this day and that was 20 years ago. That's how people should look at things.
The problem was that I didn't listen - or at least he perceived it to be a problem.

I get that, I've been the "why" guy in every job. I learn what they want done and then once I am competent I ask questions about why things are done a certain way and not another method thar I perceive is better.

If everyone always did things they way the people before them did them, we'd still be living in caves. To inquire is to think.

I dunno why, but I always seem to get in trouble when I OC.

1662879180005.png

I understand your viewpoint and I agree that psychologically the deficit (or surplus) between expectations vs disappointment can make it easy to have a cynical outlook and be occasionally pleasantly surprised rather than have an optimistic outlook and be regularly disappointed.

I think that having categories for people make it easier. If you kind of divide people up into different boxes with respect to what you are talking about, you can easily differentiate between when it is time to listen, and when it is time to quickly end the conversation and be more productive elsewhere.

In my line of work (education) I work very independently, but at times have to or need to collaborate with others. Nearly all my colleagues are female. Not my preferred dynamic, but it is what it is. We just prioritize things differently. I want to be efficient and do the talking necessary to move forward with the goal that needs to be achieved, they want to have a 'hen party.' When it comes to work, experience they have at least a decade more time in the job than I do. They have experience that I do not have. It doesn't mean that all their experience is useful, but it is a possibility and a likelihood that they experienced some things that I could learn from without having to learn the hard way. So I ask questions relevant to the information I think is useful and try to give them the floor to share "anything" because they could share something I hadn't thought of. Open ended questions are really helpful, "in the years you have been teaching, what were some things you experienced or learned that made a big impact for you being a successful teacher."

I try and find the people who seem to be doing something really well and ask them questions about it.

I've likely lost the audience with this diatribe, but Bruce Lee had a extremely pertinent quote, and it went something like this -

Take in what is useful and makes you stronger/better, reject what is not and doesn't.

Even my administrator who I think it is a majorly incompetent dickhead still serves as a learning example, even if that example is what not to do or be.

Condensed thusly….

"Separate the wheat from the chaff."

I'm warning up to LaPine. It's totally coming along. There is a cool new distillery, a few cool food carts, and at least two decent coffee stands.
If a 'cool new distillery', food carts and coffee stands is 'coming along' I wish it would have stayed 'gone'.

I see lots of new people moving in, increased traffic, and lots more crowding and with regard to new people I am seeing a similar 'pattern' to what Bend experienced when the same thing began there.

Some interesting 'demographics' as to some of the people moving in as well....

If a 'cool new distillery', food carts and coffee stands is 'coming along' I wish it would have stayed 'gone'.

I see lots of new people moving in, increased traffic, and lots more crowding and with regard to new people I am seeing a similar 'pattern' to what Bend experienced when the same thing began there.

Yea that could possibly mean California intruders. And with that comes the inevitable decline: loss of freedoms, poeple getting offended by everything, no respect for their neighbors or fellow man, lawlessness, the lazy and lawless are rewarded at the expense of those trying to produce/excel etc. Portland Fe used to be a nice place. I don't think it can ever come back now. I see painted on the wall the other day, "kill all car drivers".

So, Lapine is getting "woke"? Man, my condolences.

Yeah, Bend used to be one of my favorite places on Earth about 40 years ago.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top