JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a great letter. Thanks.

It still doesn't make any sense to me, because even with OR as the conjunction, that second statement doesn't make any reference to physical location not being on my person, just that I need to be in the vehicle with the handgun OR it needs to be locked up out of sight when I'm not.

No it makes sense. It reads like this:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: EITHER The pistol is on the licensee's person, OR the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, OR the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

The second part "the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there" is what allows for the pistol to not be on your person.

Silly about WA law, that Open Carry is legal, except in a vehicle. Then you must unload it & put it where the operator/passenger can't reach it, unless you have a CPL, in which case it must be on your person.

They reason that, if you have a CPL, and a passenger who does not have CPL, and your pistol is not on your person, that the passenger would have access to the weapon.

Clear? Not so very. . .

Silly about WA law, that Open Carry is legal, except in a vehicle. Then you must unload it & put it where the operator/passenger can't reach it, unless you have a CPL, in which case it must be on your person.
They reason that, if you have a CPL, and a passenger who does not have CPL, and your pistol is not on your person, that the passenger would have access to the weapon.

Clear? Not so very. . .

I am not sure where you get this information, as it is false. If you do not have a WA CPL the only stipulations are that the firearm be unloaded and not concealed on your person.

For example. Remove the magazine and round from the chamber. Duct tape the magazine to the grip. Duct tape the gun to your forehead. This is legal. No where in the RCW does it state that the firearm must not be within reach.

RCW 9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top