JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you purchased a gun in Washington?? Did you or the FFL fill out that 3part form?/ If you did your gun is registered.

Yes and yes I filled out forms. However those forms went to the dealers vault and the Sheriff that ran the background...I think its the sheriff dept. Either way there was no registration that was on any public file. My background check was not faxed to every law enforcement agency in the state.

Yes and yes I filled out forms. However those forms went to the dealers vault and the Sheriff that ran the background...I think its the sheriff dept. Either way there was no registration that was on any public file. My background check was not faxed to every law enforcement agency in the state.
The NICS check they make to satisfy the Brady Law for every purchase does include the type of firearm and serial number.

That info is kept somewhere - "they" say they delete it but if you believe that then you will probably believe that the NSA isn't intercepting every byte that goes through US internet connections.

Yeah I thought about the idea of them "destroying" it after a period of time. I do not buy that but I do buy that I can take the gun I bought and sell, trade it in a private transfer the next day and with a bill of sale I am off the hook even if they come knocking.

40cal
I'll bet you'd get a LOT of attention if you open carried that pink pistol . . . What with you in your tight pants on your bike . . . I don't dare even visualize it!

Sheldon

So tell me - just how do you "register" a gun in Washington or Oregon??

As far as I know no government registration exists in either state.

Most states do not have a "gun registration" mechanism.

The obvious exceptions are states like California, Connecticut, D.C., etc. - but they are a small minority of the the states.

There is none required in Washington, but like I said - guns I carry for protection, that have the possibility to be used as such - it's a bit of piece of mind to pay the FFL fee and "register" it to my name.

I only do this with my carry pistols.

40cal
I'll bet you'd get a LOT of attention if you open carried that pink pistol . . . What with you in your tight pants on your bike . . . I don't dare even visualize it!

Sheldon

Sheldon, You already did visualize it by typing it in and thinking of it. As far as the pink pistol goes I figure I am much less likely to look like a gun nut in court when the DA holds up a pink gun rather than a big "black gun" that seems to scare people so much.

I would think that just by the color they would not peg me as a crazy gun guy that they see walking down the street in cammo with a black "scary" pistol. Also less likely that anyone I pass would know what it is if it somehow was showing out of my pocket.

And...You are welcome for the beautiful visualization. Stop asking for real pics though...kinda creepy.

There is none required in Washington, but like I said - guns I carry for protection, that have the possibility to be used as such - it's a bit of piece of mind to pay the FFL fee and "register" it to my name.

I only do this with my carry pistols.

Yes I agree with that train of thought. My main carry guns at the moment are my M&P 40 or my Kahr 40 for the warmer weather. Both of which are in my name so in the "system" wherever and whoever has that. If I have to use my carry I want no questions about how I got the gun and why it is not in my name.

40Cal
It would be to your advantage, if you end up in court, to carefully select your high heels. And make certain to CAREFULLY apply your mascara and lipstick.
CASE DISMISSSED!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

Have you purchased a gun in Washington?? Did you or the FFL fill out that 3part form?/ If you did your gun is registered.
No,no it isn't. It is NOT a registration.
I have never had a TITLE to any gun I have owned or have I had to go change the non existent title when I sold a gun I bought at a FFL
Guns are not "REGISTERED" in WA

Splitting hairs it seems.

A registration is by definition a list.

When you FFL your gun, it lists you as the owner.

Yes you can sell it and not FFL it, the bill of sale keeps you covered. You will have to submit it thru your lawyer though. If your on the national database as the last one to purchase or own the firearm, then those facts can be checked from a patrol car.

Splitting hairs it seems.

A registration is by definition a list.

When you FFL your gun, it lists you as the owner.

Yes you can sell it and not FFL it, the bill of sale keeps you covered. You will have to submit it thru your lawyer though. If your on the national database as the last one to purchase or own the firearm, then those facts can be checked from a patrol car.
How can you access it from a patrol car? Guess what, you can't. Unless the gun is stolen your everyday patrolman or dispatcher has no access to any information as to who owns a firearm. Some loses a rifle in the woods and it get turned it. Its treated like all other found property unless it listed as lost or stolen with another LEO agency. There is no firearm database to search to find the owner. You can find the owner by going thought the BATFE and ask them to hand search the records. They will physically go through sales records from the manufacturer to the FFL. Then the FFL will check their bound book for the purchaser.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top