JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tonight while trying to remove the flash hider on my Ruger GSR the barrel turned about an 1/8th of an inch. Flash hider is on TIGHT!How big of a deal is this? Will it have to go back to Ruger or will a gunsmith be able to fix it? Ruger customer service is closed for the night and not knowing is driving me nuts. Picture is looking at the top of the rifle where the barrel meets the receiver.

image.jpeg

"Hey Ruger, advise on this picture..."

;)

$.02
Barrel shouldn't have come unscrewed in the first place. Unless you had gun in vice and a 3' extension.

If I had been in the situation, put the FH back on to reset the barrel (maybe it would re-calibrate), then clamp barrel between two pieces of UHMW (or something) in a bench vise, then remove FH. No worries.

Then again, always clamping the barrel in a vise to remove the FH is good thinking :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
More disconcerting than the barrel being moved is the fact that it was loose enough for you to be able to move it without special tools. Like someone else said, that barrel shouldn't ever move without the use of a good barrel vise and action wrench. Looks like it was never torqued correctly (or at all) from the factory.

Sending it back to Ruger was a good call.

Not meaning to come across a smart alec, but given the distance of the barrel, torquing on the FH, without first clamping (preferred is as close to the FH as possible) puts a lot of force (twisted flex) in the length, which in-turn can seriously damage the natural form in the shape. To also the accuracy.

Rifle arrived at Ruger yesterday. Got a phone call today and they are sending me a brand new one free of charge. Got an email this afternoon saying it is on the Fed Ex truck. I know who will be getting my money from now on! More than impressed with their customer service

Rifle arrived at Ruger yesterday. Got a phone call today and they are sending me a brand new one free of charge. Got an email this afternoon saying it is on the Fed Ex truck. I know who will be getting my money from now on! More than impressed with their customer service
In light of the retarded SB941, does Ruger transfer the new serial numbered firearm to your name? From a Phloyd & Ginney perspective, it would seem a new BGC would be required.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews