JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody had experience with the app here? Is it worth using the GPS with the OnX chip or does the app suffice? Can the app be used reliably when no cell phone coverage is present? What are the major drawbacks to each system? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I use the OnX on my phone, works great. You will want to download maps if you are in area without coverage. Nice big cell phone screen vs little GPS screen. GPS burns through 1 set of batteries per day. Buy cell phone battery charger like Anker brand. There are many more features when you buy all states vs just Oregon. It's a great app. I believe Randy Newberg on YouTube gets a 20% discount, discount code Randy20. Look it up on his video.

i didnt really like onx maps when it first came out. maybe its better now.

i use Gaia GPS for my iphone. i love it. its the only one i use now. can save 1000s upon 1000s of map tiles that can be used offline. storage depends on your phone storage. i have a 16gig iphone and i have probably a million map tiles saved.
Hiking App & Hiking Maps | Gaia GPS

also, if youre hunting with a buddy, check out gotenna. goTenna | Text & GPS on your phone, even without service.

also, if you buy one of those mini car battery jump starters, they usually come with a USB port to plug in a phone. talk about a lot of extra juice for the phone.

I use both.

GPS (Garmin-for me) is superior to just using OnX on your phone. It provides more options to mark and seems more accurate when you are in no pone service areas. However, for less than 1/3rd the cost of quality GPS the OnX chip is a pretty fantastic deal and it does work.

Here's also why I prefer GPS though. You can carry a spare set of batteries for your GPS and keep going without worrying. If you are just using your phone then you are also going to want to carry a portable charger and it's not like you get an immediate charge so chances of things going south as your phone battery starts to die means you better have paid alot of attention to your route, especially if you are in an unfamiliar area. :)

Ive used OnX, it works well but the only advantage it has over other cell phone GPS apps is it tells you who the private property owners name is... if thats something you need.

I use Backcountry Navigatore GPS app (BCN) on my phone and pay for the Accuterra map layer upgrade that shows public and private land boundaries. The app works much easier and more efficient than OnX for me and I have way more, virtually unlimited, other free map layer options than OnX. I wont be renewing my OnX subscription.

I transitioned from a dedicated GPS to a phone GPS app several years ago and have been pleased with the move. I particularly like planning on the computer (through the app's website) and then taking those notes/waypoints/etc with me on the phone. The apps provide more functionality and it's one fewer device to carry. My phone will carry a charge for at least a couple days in the wilderness in airplane mode and I carry a battery unit to recharge as necessary.

I think GaiaGPS and OnX are best of breed for the hunter. One of the Gaia employees did a side-by-side article comparing the two recently on their blog site. While not from an independent source, it will give you a nice overview. Search for "Gaia vs OnX," or similar. Personally, I use Gaia.

If you go Gaia, you'll need a premium membership to access all of the hunter-friendly layers. It's around $40/yr, which is less than OnX. Regardless of which app you use, look for the following features for hunting, in addition to typical topo, road, and satellite maps (Gaia and OnX have all, I believe):
GMU boundaries, public/private land, private land ownership (gives owner info), and Forest Service MVUM (motor vehicle use maps). Also nice to have are historical wildfire burn perimeters and logging clear cuts (Gaia has these for many western regions).

You can also upload shape files to these apps (at least I know you can for Gaia). For example, Idaho Fish & Game publishes shape files for all Access Yes! properties (program where private landowners allow hunter access). You can download them from IDFG, upload them to your app, and presto, you see the properties on your map. Pretty slick.

I started using OnX recently and like it for the landowner feature. If you have landowner tags, like I do about 50% of the time, it's good to know which pieces of property belong to the landowner whose tags you're using.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top