JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We used it last year in Wyoming. It's way better than a regular gps. We downloaded a free trial for the week we were there. This year we are going to buy a subscription. Highly recommend it.

100% yes.

I have the google earth overlay and it has been an amazing resource.

I'm researching handhelds and once I figure out the winner, I'm getting the Oregon chip for it.

I ended up getting it its $30 for the year and with the code randy it ended up being $24. And just the small amount of time using it I can see it being good. But I'll just use my phone and not waste money on a GPS device.

$30 seems very cheap to me relative to the amount of time it takes to figure out landownership by comparing various maps with satellite imagery etc. I'll definitely be looking into this.

100% yes.

I have the google earth overlay and it has been an amazing resource.

I'm researching handhelds and once I figure out the winner, I'm getting the Oregon chip for it.
What is an Oregon chip? Do u need it to use ur phone with onX? Do old crusty gps units work with onX?

Both they have chips for GPS device but an app for your phone that can also be used on a desktop or tablet which makes it so easy to look up when at home or in the field.

What is an Oregon chip? Do u need it to use ur phone with onX? Do old crusty gps units work with onX?
The chip is a state specific SD card that gets inserted into a GPS. I'm not familiar with anything other than Garmin units.

You can pick broader maps from them for handhelds.

They also have lists of which handheld units work with their maps.

I have a software version that I bought and loaded to my computer. I can only use it on that computer, that I know of. It works with Google Earth which I also had to load to my computer. Once I open Google Earth I can run the X Maps overlay.

I have no idea on how to get X maps to work with a smart phone. You may want to lurk around their website a bit and see if they have a product for that.

I'm not certain what the annual service is either.

Looking at their site. Looks like they don't even offer a software based google earth overlay anymore like what I bought.

I did buy mine about 5-6 years ago if that counts.

I'd be curious if the app needs cell service to work or if you can download sections of maps to run the app on a smartphone or tablet when in the woods.

Looking at their site. Looks like they don't even offer a software based google earth overlay anymore like what I bought.

I did buy mine about 5-6 years ago if that counts.

I'd be curious if the app needs cell service to work or if you can download sections of maps to run the app on a smartphone or tablet when in the woods.
It works off cell service, GPS, and you can download the map if you are worried you wont get either of the two. It's a complete different thing now than it was 5-6 years ago. I still use google earth cause it uses natural forest road names better than onx I mean after using it I can tell but at first it was giving names that where on a county map which threw me off.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top