JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I rely on my son who uses a Garmin Oregon ( older model Oregon) and an Onyx chip. Costly but worthwhile. I think it is more reliable than the IPhone Onyx App system I use. For that too work you need to download where you are going to be before you go in. Garmin is also a nice thing to have when you realize you left your glasses at the last waypoint - lunch spot and need to get back to it easily. Son uses rechargeable batteries but depending on the length of your trip you will want extra batteries with you on your hunt and at camp since you do go through them.

I have heard great things about the Montana too.

And lastly, prior to Garmin and later Onyx, I got lost in the Coast Range despite having hunted the same area before. I am an experienced backpacker and hunter and had a compass and map. Found my way out before dark but it was unsettling for the three or four hours I was lost and unsure of the way out. Son was not sympathetic during subsequent years hunting when I used trail tape (and yes, we take it down on way out) until he got lost himself hunting forest grouse. He was able to climb to a high point and get cell service and was able to get his bearings and walk back. He found his skidder road but was using his headlamp to get to his vehicle. He bought his Garmin a few days after that.

some people do better with the push button models than the touch screens
ymmv

You bring up a good point. I guess the only way for someone to know for sure is to try one of each. I didn't know if I'd like the touch screen on my 550, but it's been surprisingly good. I also really like the camera on it. That was one of the main features I liked about the 550, plus it's not too big or too small. It also links up to satellites pretty easily. It works great on cloudy days. I've packed it around the woods a lot during deer and elk seasons. Here are some of the pics I've taken with it:
w2tM09l.jpg
3gTP1m5.jpg
LLATmUF.jpg
WKchg0o.jpg

My party uses Rhino's, I have a few as I keep upgrading. I haven't gone to the 600 series w/the touch screen but one of our group has and doesn't care for it. Doesn't work w/gloves and is more challenging to use for some folks vs the push button models. I'm probably going to have to go that way though as my 2 530's are behaving very strangely lately, one of them won't turn off unless I pull the battery. The rubber antennae cover is coming out of the other one and the older models aren't really worth reviving. I'm not dissapointed in them though given what I put them through and really like the polling feature and being able to see where everyone is.

Phone is they way to go. More map options and runs of GPS or download maps. The garmin's is old technology and I feel like it's a waste of money. The chips are limited. Just my opinion. I had no issues the last 2 years even in deep Canyons

Phones don't work in the wilderness areas we hunt, in fact getting service requires an hour drive to the top of a bluff. Limited contact w/the SO's which works out pretty ok for us guys :) Except the time my mom passed away, didn't know it for 2 days then when we got service ALL of our phones went crazy.

Your phone has a GPS receiver that works completely independently of the cellular receiver. The GPS receiver even works when you're in airplane mode, which is how I carry it when in the wilderness to save battery.

There are several GPS mapping apps you can use on your phone instead of a dedicated GPS device like a Garmin. OnX has a phone app version. Gaia GPS is another good app for hunters.

The only thing you must remember is to download the maps of where you're going to your phone while you're still at home with a high-speed Internet connection. Once you have the maps on your phone, your GPS receiver shows you your location on the maps (without the need for cellular connection).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top