JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Food myths busted: dairy, salt and steak may be good for you after all.

I wish you the best of luck. I started in March and have lost 28 pounds. I want to get to 35 down. All I have done is eat less of the same foods I always eat. I have issues with my shoulders, back, and knees that prevent serious exercise so I chose to eat less. I stalled out when I ended up in the ER for heat exhaustion and severe dehydration. I am still 25 pounds down but stuck there. Getting my will power back to stop snacking has been hard. I never set a goal time frame and as long as I don't go back up I'm pretty happy with my progress. I am finding now I am eating a third of what I used to and still not dropping weight......dangit, a mans got to eat!!!

I wish you the best of luck. I started in March and have lost 28 pounds. I want to get to 35 down. All I have done is eat less of the same foods I always eat. I have issues with my shoulders, back, and knees that prevent serious exercise so I chose to eat less. I stalled out when I ended up in the ER for heat exhaustion and severe dehydration. I am still 25 pounds down but stuck there. Getting my will power back to stop snacking has been hard. I never set a goal time frame and as long as I don't go back up I'm pretty happy with my progress. I am finding now I am eating a third of what I used to and still not dropping weight......dangit, a mans got to eat!!!
You might try a cheat week to break through the plateau.

Not to steal arakboss's thunder....

I hopped back on the "no sugar" train last week and then started intermittent fasting this week. I restarted some cardio work while at the gym, trying to spend a mile on the treadmill alternating between a run and walking for a mile. Similar to a HIIT type of activity.

I have shed 7 pounds so far.

Not to steal arakboss's thunder....

I hopped back on the "no sugar" train last week and then started intermittent fasting this week. I restarted some cardio work while at the gym, trying to spend a mile on the treadmill alternating between a run and walking for a mile. Similar to a HIIT type of activity.

I have shed 7 pounds so far.
Dang 7 pounds, that is nuts. Great work and I am glad to have some more company on the weight loss train.

Dang 7 pounds, that is nuts. Great work and I am glad to have some more company on the weight loss train.
I am aiming for 185. I seem to hit the wall at 200.
The next few weeks should be telling if i can break through. It helps that i timed this unintentionally with hunting season.
My food intake while in the woods is limited and really is just basic stuff that is actually really good for a person. Coupled with some good hikes it should accelerate the weight drop.

I dropped my calorie allowance from 2090 to 1950. I am going to reset my calorie allowance each month to my estimated BMR based on my current weight at the time. By the time I reach 175lbs my BMR should be about 1680 calories.

I'm at 1500 calories a day and still stuck on the wall. All the calculators show I need just under 2000 calories a day to loose weight and need 2221 a day to maintain that new weight or 2300 a day to maintain my current weight. I have switched the calculator over to a person that does zero exercise or activity and my calorie intake to lose weight is still 1600...I'm under that every day.

I'm going to have to switch up things I guess. I do not want to stray off what I have been doing though. I'm not going to buy special foods or supplements as I want to stick with foods I normally eat. If I cannot get it off with foods I normally eat I will just put the weight back on once I stop with whatever it is I used to get the weight off.

I'l have to think about what will work for me to switch things up. I have limited foods to eat as I have IBS and I need food in my gut to help with my vertigo......sucks to get old! :s0114: :s0114: and I'm not really that old yet!

I'm at 1500 calories a day and still stuck on the wall. All the calculators show I need just under 2000 calories a day to loose weight and need 2221 a day to maintain that new weight or 2300 a day to maintain my current weight. I have switched the calculator over to a person that does zero exercise or activity and my calorie intake to lose weight is still 1600...I'm under that every day.

I'm going to have to switch up things I guess. I do not want to stray off what I have been doing though. I'm not going to buy special foods or supplements as I want to stick with foods I normally eat. If I cannot get it off with foods I normally eat I will just put the weight back on once I stop with whatever it is I used to get the weight off.

I'l have to think about what will work for me to switch things up. I have limited foods to eat as I have IBS and I need food in my gut to help with my vertigo......sucks to get old! :s0114: :s0114: and I'm not really that old yet!
This worked for me in the past. Try taking a diet break, don't go hog wild but eat until you feel satisfied (don't count calories) for a couple of days. Depending on what you have been eating you might put on a few pounds but it will be mostly water weight. Then get back on your diet plan and see if that kick starts it for you.

I'm here......to cheer you on.

you_can_do_it.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Sometimes eating a few days away from a diet can restart the weight loss.

I would also look at your protein and carbohydrate intake. Sometimes you need to turn the macros upside down for a minute to keep progressing. There is some solid information out there about all of this.

Another angle you might want to look at is that a lot of the calculators for calories and dieting dont take in unique circumstances that everyone has. So taking into account your IBS you might need to cater to that issue in order to keep the weight loss moving.

I'm rooting for you arkboss. Replace bread and flour products (ie, wheat thins, etc etc etc)with protein and you have this easy. Protein may be grass fed beef, organic chicken fish products (I've done the "safe tuna" Costco has and put a squirt of mustard and yogurt on it - no bun of course). It works.

Don't go back to eating grains and you'll keep it off. Eat stir fry, soups and other similar things and you'll be good to go.

Rooting for @arakboss and the others! A few thoughts:
  • Plateaus happen. If you are stuck for what you feel is too long do something to shake things up by changing diet or exercise.
  • It's not a zero sum calorie game, it's a body response game. The human body, like all successful machines, is full of feedback mechanisms. Anything that increases metabolism will result in weight loss. Decrease calories too much and your metabolism will drop to the point where you might actually gain weight.
  • Pay attention to how your body responds to what you eat.In particular:
    • If you eat something and your energy level increases, eat more of it. You have boosted your metabolism and are burning fat.

• If you eat something and it lowers energy then your body is busy converting it to fat. Eat less or no more of it.

• Make sure you eat enough dietary fiber to aid in digestion. I suggest salad and other non starchy vegetables like members of thr cabbage family.

• What goes in must come out. Evacuation should be as effortless as taking a leak and cleaning yourself should be minimal. If you have it dialed in TP should be little more than a spot check.

• A great starting point is whatever meat you like along with non starchy vegetables. Don't worry about fat content but minimize, as in scant, the amount of carbs. Eat until you are full. In a few days you will likely not be thinking about food all the time and will likely have to remind yourself that you need to eat. There are some people who do better with a higher carb weighted diet, but most of them don't have a weight problem. Just pay attention to how your bidy responds to what you eat.
  • You need some exercise, especially if you are sedentary. Building muscle helps to burn fat since muscle requires more calories to exist. On the other side, don't focus the cardio portion on lungs but on blood flow through ALL parts of the body instead. The more blood flow, the more the hungry muscles need to consume calories.
  • Increased exercise along with better nutrition will sometimes result in temporary weight gain. Don't let an uptick in weight or a plateau get you doen, just dog it out.
When I ate the way I was told by diet and nutrition "experts" I gained weight and felt like bubblegum. When I told them to FO I finally started losing weight. I am currently nearing the 150 lbs of weight loss mark since I took control. Even though I eat a lot of red meat and now get at least 2/3 of my calories from fat my lipid panels are optimal.

Nice progress.

I decided to have a cheat day on the weekend and ate a normal sized meal Saturday and Sunday for dinner and then I'm back on the portion control the rest of the time. At least I'm not going backwards and this change up should kick start the process again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top