JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw something recently about changing food habits. It was around the idea of making better choices.
Instead of reaching for potato chips grab some piece of veggie or fruits that is crunchy. The article stated to do it with your evening snack time to put the new habit/choice into motion. There's some science behind the evening snack time choice.
I wish I could remember where I saw it.
That might be a good micro habit and diet change.
Cheese or meat will satisfy the desire to snack and will hold you over. A carb will make you want to snack more and a veg will not last long.

Cheese or meat will satisfy the desire to snack and will hold you over. A carb will make you want to snack more and a veg will not last long.

To be even more specific a protein will be better.
My bad habit is snacking an hour or so before I sleep.
When I started back on a path of physical fitness 3 years ago I started doing a protein shake before bed. In about 3 months I shed 20lbs that wasn't budging prior to that change.
The shake cured my sweet tooth and gave my body the needed protein over night to repair itself.
Everyone Is different, so I don't expect my success to work for the next guy so much as it's an idea to share.

Last Edited:
Don't forget excersize too, there are a bunch of good ones for us fat boys, Mountain Climbers, Burpees, and the like, keep to low impact, and build your strength and cardio!

Best if you have access to a pool, Man Makers will burn the fat like no others, just take it easy, you can kick your own arse trying to do too many of them too soon, plus, you will end up with bat wings and thick neck, not always a desirable result!

So far, I'm down 33 pounds, goal is 190ish from 273!

To be even more specific a protein will be better.
My bad habit is snacking an hour or so before I sleep.
When I started back on a path of physical fitness 3 years agoI started do a protein shake before bed. In about 3 months I shed 20lbs that wasn't budging prior to that change.
The shake cured my sweet tooth and gave my body the needed protein over night to repair itself.
Everyone Is different, so I don't expect my success to work for the next guy so much as it's an idea to share.
For me fat is best. An ounce or two of cheese and a few ounces of summer sausage and no desire for snacks the rest of the night. I was never able to lose weight and keep it off until I increased the amount of fats in my diet. Seems strange when we have been preached calorie counting all our lives, but I've found that high fat, moderate protein, scant carbs results in the greatest weight loss and frankly no cravings. Sometimes I even forget to eat until I flat run out of energy.

When I first did Atkens years back I had to take periodic breaks. I found later through trial and error that Atkens was too high in proteins for me. The trick is to find the right combinations for your body. We are all a bit different in our needs and one size does not fit all.

I got down to 222lbs a couple of weeks ago and now I am back up to 229lbs.

I find sticking to the calorie tracking incredibly difficult. My latest thought is to start eating two similiar meals a day around 700 calories each (pretty much same meals everyday) and limit myself to two servings of coffee a day. In addition I will keep a photo of the four firearms, that I risk losing if I fail the weight loss challenge, nearby. If I want to eat or drink anything beyond the two meals and coffee, I will look at the firearms photo and ask myself, "do I want to keep my firearms or eat this?"

I'll give this strategy two weeks and see where I am at.

I still have 8 months but I have wasted a lot of time already.

I'm stuck at 290 right now but my pants are fitting looser and my wife says my gut is getting smaller. My thought is I'm eating enough to maintain my weight but getting more excersize so the fat is converting to muscle. I'm up to an hour a day of walking the dog plus a day in the yard once a week and chopping enough fire wood to keep the house warm.

I'm stuck at 290 right now but my pants are fitting looser and my wife says my gut is getting smaller. My thought is I'm eating enough to maintain my weight but getting more excersize so the fat is converting to muscle. I'm up to an hour a day of walking the dog plus a day in the yard once a week and chopping enough fire wood to keep the house warm.

It's nice to see numbers trend downward on a scale. Part of a healthy change doesn't always yield those results though.
Good job.

Last Edited:
Hang with it fellas, I'm making progress here on my weight loss goals! Went from 270 down to 249 in 4 months! Ya gotta regiment your diet and excersize it's the only way to be consistent and realize any gains!

I started last March and went from 210 down to 183. Goal was 175. I have been stuck for a number of months and starting today I'm pushing to the goal again. I was happy maintaining my weight and now it's time to get er done. I don't count calories. I eat what I want. I just eat less. My biggest hurdle is the late night snacking when I get off work. If I can knock that out I'll whip this thing.

"1-2 lbs/week is enough. Sustaining a 2 lb/week loss is difficult, might be too much. Furthermore, fat loss is never steady. That loss is almost entirely about nutrition. The reason to include exercise, or fitness training, is to minimize muscle loss while getting rid of the fat burden."
Dr. Joy Bliss

My waist has shrunk. Took a hike up to my ridge line trail and the glock was pulling my pants down until I tucked in my pull over hoody. Time to punch a new hole in my belt.

Only a couple of patches of snow left.

My trail held up well over the winter. I had to cut a couple of trees that fell across the trail. Heading back now to help neighbor fill pot holes. Winter wasn't kind to gravel roads. More reloading silliness after work is done.

20220409_084212.jpg

20220409_082618.jpg

20220409_083443.jpg

I am going to switch up the diet to a low carb high protein diet for a couple of weeks and see if I can kick start the weight loss again. After a couple of weeks going low carb I am going to try and do a week of a really low calorie fasting (maybe 500 calories a day). For the low carb high protein diet I will aim for less than 50 grams of carbs a day and get the rest of my calories from protein and fat.

I have flirted with breaking the 220lb barrier but then hit 222 again after getting home from cabin trip. I drank a six pack of tall ice beers and nearly an entire fifth of Capt Morgans during my three night stay.

Calorie restriction is hard these days. So many choices and so little willpower. The food producers and sellers really know how to get me (and others) to buy and eat their products.

221 yesterday, 220 this evening I am expecting 219 before the weekend is over. Protein, protein, protein.

Edit: It's likely water weight but I am still calling it progress.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top