JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got back from a shopping trip in the Gorge:
No Smokeless Powder
1 BX 55grn .224

So my question is:
Is there a single rifle powder I can use on 223, 308, 270 Win. Preferably a ball powder as that is easier on my 50 YO powder gizmo

I would vote Varget also. I know the 4895 will work for the 308 and 223 but I have no experience with the 270.

Good luck on your search powder is hard to find right now,

Varget and H4895 are two of the most versatile I've ever used, but it isn't going to be a very good choice at all for the .270 Win. Both the 270s I have reloaded for like a much slower burn rate than either Varget or H4895 - H4831 is ideal for the .270.

Whatever you go with, a single powder choice is going to really be a compromise in either the .270 or the .223.

I have yet to find anything approaching the perfect powder for any variety of rifle cartridges. Thus far I've found 4 powders that are perfect for loading either .223 or .308, nothing that really performs in both and at the same time has a low cost. Anything slower than 4895 won't work in .223 or .308, anything faster than H335 won't work in .308. Typically I use H335 or varget in .223 and varget and IMR3031 in .308. If I'm loading blasting ammo, I load 335 in both. Varget is kinda've a pain to use with .223 as the large powder geometry pretty much prevents you from running a max load. As a consequence I've switched over to using TAC for my match/hunting .223 loads, and still using 3031 for the .308.

I hear you.. I can get by with Red-Dot though for everything from .25acp to .44 magnum.. and then reduced 30-06 etc. It's not absolutely optimum for about anything but will do very well for about anything within reason.

"One Powder Too Rule Them All?"
Yes if you remove the "Rule" from your question.
I too have used red-dot for everything, not real efficient for some and messyto work with but it works. Better is IMR 3031, cleaner to process and burn, still only be average results on the 223 may require compacting. Also consider IMR 4198 but may have to work up some loads on your own as it wont be listed in some calibers and I frankly have not tried it on 223 but it woorks great on .270 through to 45-70.

Some interesting comments here. Since I don't have anything but bolt guns for centerfire rifles, I see the limitations the marginal powders can have for semi auto's. Still, its fun to see just what you can use to push a projectile down the bore when your life or game isn't dependant on it. Read some of the odd mixtures Elmer Kieth came up with to keep shooting when powder or the money for it was hard to come by.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top