JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy carp. !

I read the title of this thread and I thought it was about another backdoor gunban scheme..

😱
Right? I was thinking the new ODFW Director was promulgating new rules already. I only wondered if that was one cartridge per tag or per season. :confused:

"No lead," then "No copper," then only natural rock bullets that match the geology of the 5 acres you are allowed to hunt.

:)

Bruce

One rifle?
Ok, a Model 70 Safari Grade in .375 H&H.
Can use anything from a ~220grn with reduced loads to ~350grn. that'll rock you back.
Hunt any game anywhere.
Probably the closest thing to a "do anything" rifle that's ever been made, in a cartridge that's available all over the world.

Last Edited:
A good bolt action in 30-06 with a quality 3-9x40 scope. It would cover everything deer, pronghorn, elk, bear and cougar. I don't think it would work well on small game. My custom O3A3 springfield would cover my needs. A JC Higgins model 50 also comes to mind.

Last Edited:
One gun...one cartridge ...is a fun exercise...and neat to see what folks pick.

However....firearms ain't one size fits all.

That said...
One would be sitting pretty good for hunting North American game with a
.30-06 rifle...
12 gauge shotgun...
And .22 rifle.

And with that said....
While all three of those would work...that could get boring if that was all someone had.
Choices...are one of the things that make firearms interesting.
Andy

If you only had the three guns I bet they would all be sighted in. I have thought for me to become a really good shot that I needed to get rid of 4/5 of my rifles and to focus on the ones left. Whats the fun in that.

Winchester XPR in .270 Win. I grabbed one unbelievably cheap from BiMart. They were on sale and the cashier knocked another $50 off for some unknown reason.

I realize that they are not at the top of accuracy, but it fit me so well and balanced just right, that I fell in love. Removable magazine helped.

The .270 Win has become an afterthought to many people. The time of everyone carrying one to hunt deer, bear and elk seemed to have disappeared.

The cartridge is very easy to download and upload depending on what you are hunting. One of the most versatile cartridges ever made.

If you only had the three guns I bet they would all be sighted in. I have thought for me to become a really good shot that I needed to get rid of 4/5 of my rifles and to focus on the ones left. Whats the fun in that.
I have often thought that would be a wise move. I will be 77 on June 3 and thinking of paring down my collection. This new law that requires a person to have an FFL if they sell guns for a profit is worrisome. I don't think it will hold water but what I think doesn't matter.

Winchester XPR in .270 Win. I grabbed one unbelievably cheap from BiMart. They were on sale and the cashier knocked another $50 off for some unknown reason.

I realize that they are not at the top of accuracy, but it fit me so well and balanced just right, that I fell in love. Removable magazine helped.

The .270 Win has become an afterthought to many people. The time of everyone carrying one to hunt deer, bear and elk seemed to have disappeared.

The cartridge is very easy to download and upload depending on what you are hunting. One of the most versatile cartridges ever made.
I agree Pete, 270 is a legendary cartridge for sure. That's all my grandfather ever used and I grew up watching many many deer and elk fall to a 130 grain core lokt.

For me I would have more fun being a crack shot with only 1 rifle than mediocre with 3...

Ok I'll play.
I used to be 3006 fan. Since I've shooting 300 WBY that would be my choice. All that being said.
Guns are like pots and pans. Sometimes you need a frying pan and than a stew pot. Depends on what you're cooking.
No fun cooking with one pan or pot. With one rifle or one pistol either ;)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top