JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Chapman Gun Kit screwdriver set. This was recommended to me back in the 1970's and has come in handy so many times. The bits for this are hollow ground, and resist camming out of a screw slot. Sometimes you find very slender slots in screws; some of the Chapman bits are ground thing to accommodate these. I don't know if they still make the 9600 kit that I first bought. Later, I added supplementary sets for hex (Allen) fasteners, and in the recent past, Torx. I've also bought single bits of the numbers that I've broken, and spares of those most likely to break. It came with a couple of cross tip (Phillips) bits, but those are not all that common on firearms. Butt plates, mostly. So I never bought a set of cross tips -- but I ought to, as this kit does see some use outside firearms. The Allen and Torx aren't often seen on firearms (mostly scope mounts). There aren't all that many Phillips tip sizes so I guess I just figured on regular screwdrivers for those when needed.

PA080208.JPG PA080209.JPG PA080210.JPG PA080211.JPG PA080212.JPG

The Chapman Gun Kit screwdriver set. This was recommended to me back in the 1970's and has come in handy so many times. The bits for this are hollow ground, and resist camming out of a screw slot. Sometimes you find very slender slots in screws; some of the Chapman bits are ground thing to accommodate these. I don't know if they still make the 9600 kit that I first bought. Later, I added supplementary sets for hex (Allen) fasteners, and in the recent past, Torx. I've also bought single bits of the numbers that I've broken, and spares of those most likely to break. It came with a couple of cross tip (Phillips) bits, but those are not all that common on firearms. Butt plates, mostly. So I never bought a set of cross tips -- but I ought to, as this kit does see some use outside firearms. The Allen and Torx aren't often seen on firearms (mostly scope mounts). There aren't all that many Phillips tip sizes so I guess I just figured on regular screwdrivers for those when needed.

View attachment 1738489View attachment 1738490View attachment 1738492View attachment 1738493View attachment 1738494
That's a good kit to have. Chapman and Grace still make their gunsmithing tools in the US. Many/most of the gun tools you'll find nowadays are made in China, and they have the quality you would expect from tools made in China. I have a USA-made Grace screwdriver and punch kit that I've been very satisfied with.

They have a more complete one now, and it's only $88.

They have a more complete one now, and it's only $88.
$88 in year 2023 money might be less than whatever I paid in year 1974 money.

I like those newer plastic cases. It looks like there are empties for extra bits that you might add later. What I need now is a separate case for the many extra bits I've added. I'll go to their website and see if they offer such a thing.

I see from the Youtube video they still make the 9600 set.

It says, "Great for ... sewing machines" Oh man, you don't ever want to work on one of those. Better to go to sewing machine school in Italy for three months. Too many moving parts that all have to be in a certain position at a certain time to work correctly together, each having its own adjustment.

$88 in year 2023 money might be less than whatever I paid in year 1974 money.

I like those newer plastic cases. It looks like there are empties for extra bits that you might add later. What I need now is a separate case for the many extra bits I've added. I'll go to their website and see if they offer such a thing.

I see from the Youtube video they still make the 9600 set.

It says, "Great for ... sewing machines" Oh man, you don't ever want to work on one of those. Better to go to sewing machine school in Italy for three months. Too many moving parts that all have to be in a certain position at a certain time to work correctly together, each having its own adjustment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top