JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It really depends on what you plan to use them for.
I like to use them to transport to and from the range to avoid dings and scratches from transporting. I NEVER use them to store firearms. (Ask me how I know!)
We use the socks when putting the orange guns into the bulk case for Hunters ed. Once again to help protect. But if it was wet we dry and do not put in socks. Socks are a good way to get rust and trap moisture.

they have their place but just be aware of the drawbacks as well.
Silicone treated socks have never let me down. In a damp environment they won't absorb moisture and also allow the firearm to "breathe." I've stored most of my finely blued rifles for well over a decade in those socks and never had a spot of corrosion despite my safe being in a less than ideal location.

Are gun socks (the silicone treated ones) a good idea up here in the rainy pacific northwest? Are there any brands I should avoid?
I keep them on my guns going to and from the range, and if in cases for short periods after cleaning. Have done so for years, worth the few bucks they cost. I also throw a 20g dessicant in bottom of sock to absorb moisture.

Last Edited:
Silicone treated socks have never let me down. In a damp environment they won't absorb moisture and also allow the firearm to "breathe." I've stored most of my finely blued rifles for well over a decade in those socks and never had a spot of corrosion despite my safe being in a less than ideal location.
I agree and have had similar experience

I'm in Michigan.
We have a stoopid law that long guns must be in a "case" when transported in, or ON, a vehicle.
The courts have declined to define "case", therefore we have Michigan Cases...cardboard box, old bed sheet, Saran Wrap....what-ever. Makes a "case".
I keep a gun-sock handy for the sudden sale deals, or transport, or what-not.

Joe
Who comes up with these silly laws?

:confused:

Wearing one right now.
Any chance your're a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan? 🤣

shutterstock_1291095706-copy.jpg

I like them for storage to/from the range. Can get up to 10 handguns in one double rifle hard case and this protects them if they for some reason were to bang against each other like had to brake suddenly.

I would like to find some non-stretchy rifle socks. Too many snags on front sights, rear sights, scope objective, scope turrets, scope mounts, sling swivels, etc.

Getting one one looks like I am wrestling a python.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top