JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hum, don't have a vintage 1911 with me, but I might know a feller who does, and would probably be up for the challenge, so I'll supply the ammo for All! What say you @Kruejl up for a challenge with old school cool fighting irons:D

Mentioned earlier was "candle" shooting, snuff out the flame leaving the candle itself intact...

Did this a couple of years ago with my brother in law... First time was a pillar candle, snuffed it out with a G19 I used to carry... it took a few shots to get it, that was a blast.

Then he challenged me to a dinner candle using his Ruger single six, put the flame out on the second shot, leaving enough wick intact for a relight...

He's since decided to restrict challenges to horseshoes...

[QUOTE="MountainBear, post: 1977391, member: 2749"?]I've only seen a few guys who could get to prone and get the shot off in time.[/QUOTE]

Is there a prize category for time required to get back up? :oops:

The challenge is (with centerfire rifle, no optics, obviously) from a low ready, with a loaded rifle, assume a firing position and make a hit on a 6" round target at 100 yards within 5 seconds flat.
Can the 'firing position' be any? I know I can do this with a 30-30 in the kneeling position in this amount of time.

Can the 'firing position' be any? I know I can do this with a 30-30 in the kneeling position in this amount of time.

Yes, kneeling, sitting, standing, prone. Just make the hit. The last time I shot the challenge, the steel was painted black. I thought I could do it to (I was wrong ;)).
I know (having done it) I can hit an 8" circular plate. I shoot it standing offhand. I just haven't hit the 6" yet.

As the guy who came up with this says, it's not a drill. It's not something to go to the range and try again and again until you succeed. It's something to try after you spend time working on your fundamentals of marksmanship, something a lot of us neglect when we are at the range.

I've seen a group of 30 shooters run this exercise. All are gun guys, most are pretty heavy collectors, some are very decent shooters. All missed their first time through. Three out of 30 hit on their second try...

We used to compete in the 'charging bloon' shoot. Ten bloons were tied to the lower target backstop rail with strings about four or five feet long. You then took your trusty bolt-action, five-shot bundook and shot them from the standing position as they bounced around - from 100 yards - with any centrefire calibre you fancied using.

Fastest to do it won the prize.

'snot as easy as it sounds.

tac

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads