JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been buying old brass, projectiles and assembled ammo for a few years now and have a pretty good collection of these items which are corroded and or tarnished. The tarnish doesn't really bother me but the green corrosion is not something I want to spread around inside my dies or firearms. What is the best method to remove the greenish corrosion and prevent it from coming right back. I bought a bunch (about 2400) projectiles today, many of which look like the ones in the pic below. The green stuff is my main concern. I have similiar corrosion on other items I have bought previously including on brass cases.

20221021_135126.jpg

20221021_135109.jpg

If you use white vinegar (any works) and salt, it will clean copper like crazy. It works great on copper bottom pots/pans too. Some weird chemical reaction. Then I'd dry tumble them since you don't have a wet tumbler.

I will try that thanks.
Be careful! Use a diluted solution and don't allow it to sit on your brass for long. Rinse with water immediately and thouroughly. The vinegar will leech zinc from the brass and make your brass brittle. If you start to notice a pink hue to your brass, you've gone too far.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Although, for a "home" option I might go with ketchup instead. Much gentler and forgiving.

For low grade plinkers I would just dry tumble it with what you have then sort out any that make you wanna go "ewww..". ;)

Last Edited:
... The vodka will help disinfect them too!
NO joke! The last thing you need is someone you shot coming back and suing you for negligent exposure to some flesh eating bacterial infection, hu!!

...or save your vodka and just shoot em again so they can't complain. 🤣

If it was me I would wash in citrus juice, rince, dry, and dry tumble.
The only thing I would be careful is any exposed lead will have formed a white powder on them, this is Lead Oxide [ White Lead] it is the poison that can effect humans. Be careful of both the wash water and dry media. it will be full of the Lead Oxide. Wear rubber gloves and wash your hands!
The actual lead itself is not very dangerous, but the White Lead is! Good Luck DR

Today I soaked 500 147hst pulls from American reloading in brass juice and water and in about 2 hours they were soooooo shiny that I almost dont wanna shoot them. 1liter of water in a plastic bin and about 2 tablespoons of brass juice. No tumbling required. I have tumbled bullets before with the same mixture with great results. I'd avoid using pins though. I dinged up some .308 projectiles doing that

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top