JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That boat sailed a long time ago. Everyone and their brother makes an AR pistol now. Olympic was one if not the first though. It was still a piece of crap like all their other guns . Their making that pistol did tip the ATF into banning the import of "armor piercing ammo" from China because they were looking for an excuse to do just that.

This is just the beginning, tons of manufacturers are going to close. The market is flooded, and only manufacturers who are making new and innovative products will remain and the old gaints of the Industry. Things like how DDI was bought up by PSA. Im just waiting for the cheap Aks again! And all those ex-military M9s to hit the US market.

Although I think it's sad to see them go they have never been a contender in the AR market (in my opinion). I remember my first Oly upper I bought around 25 years ago. I was disappointed with it (compared to the Colts and Bushmasters) and in the 25 years since I have never seen anything from them that changed my opinion. I think it's a miracle they have lasted till now.

They didn't build junk. They just built stuff that was boring and just a bit overpriced for the quality

Even considering all that, I hate to see them close the doors.

They built junk. Their CAST AR-15 lowers were dreadful garbage full of voids and their early 90's uppers were so overgassed that I burnt up 3 sets of gas rings before I finally broke down and welded up the gas port and redrilled it to the correct size.

Olympic arms are not all that bad. I am sorry to see them go as the were one of the first to put ar15 clones on the market for civilians and they are from the NW. They actually made some pretty accurate barrels problem was in order to do that they had to step away from mil spec and match bolts to the barrels precisely which meant if you switch bolts you could have head space issues. The issues were probably not severe enough to be considered dangerous however they would cause functioning issues.

So by buying a complete OLY rifle, it was not wise to switch out the BCG or use the BCG from an OLY to another. This causes a headache to those wanting to switch out parts. And perhaps the tight tolerances may have been the cause of some malfunctions in new guns.

It also seemed they may have cut corners to produce affordable rifles and still make a profit so they came out with budget lines thus leading the more complaints. I have only owned one complete Oly rifle and I had no issues with. I have owned some of their barrels but I did have issues mating bolts to a couple of them. I did find Oly to have some of the most accurate stock barrels I have ever shot.

In today's market with companies like PSA putting out Ar15 for under $500 it is going to be hard for many companies to compete. I had said in another post that the ar15 market is bound to implode on itself as there are so many machine shops producing ar15 rifles due to the demand caused by our former president's threats to ban them that it was just a matter of time regardless of who won the presidency that the supply would surpass the demand.

Wait a minute

An 1100rd case for $90 was a high price because of hoarding pre brady bill !!! WTF!!!!!! I mean I remember 1000rds for 99$ but damn. I should have been stockpiling ammo instead of buying guns.
Yeap, that is what my dad did at the time. Still shooting 22lr and such from back then to this day.

I remember when it was Olympic Arms, Colt and Bushmaster in the AR game. Olympics were not known for quality and I never gave them any of my business.

They built junk. Their CAST AR-15 lowers were dreadful garbage full of voids and their early 90's uppers were so overgassed that I burnt up 3 sets of gas rings before I finally broke down and welded up the gas port and redrilled it to the correct size.
I never bought anything from them, but as I got into Black rifle it was plain to see that Oly was considered one of the worst manufacturers.
Once they put their fails behind them, they should have re-grouped under a different name.
The Olympic brand name was ruined.

I never bought anything from them, but as I got into Black rifle it was plain to see that Oly was considered one of the worst manufacturers.
Once they put their fails behind them, they should have re-grouped under a different name.
The Olympic brand name was ruined.
Yeah I was gunna say,someone may want there tooling but nobody is gunna pay for that name:D
I wonder if the cost of retooling to compete was part of the decision?
Well not too sad about it but hope the folks working there find jobs easy enough

I never bought one of their items, having heard too many negative reports. The present market is positively awash in AR offerings now, so I suppose it isn't surprising their hanging it up.

Just caught this on another site, they did make some good guns and barrels.

My 1st AR back in 1990 was an Olympic and one he!! of a gun and deadly accurate!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top