JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
THANKS, I've enjoyed many good memories.
Rrrrright.......even when/while just looking and/or shopping there.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
What a shame. Such an awesome place to browse and pick up random stuff. Still have several mil surp jackets that I've bought over the decades.

This does not surprise me in the least bit... because 80% of what they carry... are new Chinese import crap, and about 10% the same camping/outdoors stuff you can find for the same price at Bi-Mart, Sportsman, Cabelas.. and the remainder being overpriced stripped milsurp clothing. At least, that was my impression last time I was up there a few months ago.

Only place in town that carried Mexican wrestling masks.. buy once, cry all the time!
No stretchy pants? Sometimes a man just wants to wear stretchy pants…..

IMG_1447.jpeg

We used to go to Andy and Bax when I was a kid in the '60's and then for my Mom we'd got to The Import Emporium (I think that was what it was called).
I'm sad to see it go. That's part of the real Portland. Pretty much everything else of the real Portland is gone now too. Every bigger city used to have one of those stores. There was a "smell" to them. I'm sorry now that we haven't been there to look around in a long time. :(

Imagine the theft problem they must have with the homeless camps surrounding the store.
Many years ago I worked a couple of blocks from that store and the homeless bums were always around, but there was a code among them that they lived their lives in the shadows on the most part, and at all costs, try to stay out of the reach of the Portland Police.
They were alcoholics for the most part, and being locked up without booze for a couple of days was torture for them.
I learned a good lesson about wino bums from a store clerk that worked at a store called "Corno's Fruit Market".
While shopping there one afternoon, I saw a wino steal a bottle of MD 20/20 and hurriedly walk out the door.
When I told the clerk, he told me that he wouldn't do a thing, as he seen a desperate wino being confronted at the door and had broken the bottle and cut up an employee while trying to get away.

Last Edited:
Imagine the theft problem they must have with the homeless camps surrounding the store.
Many years ago I worked a couple of blocks from that store and the homeless bums were always around, but there was a code among them that they lived their lives in the shadows on the most part, and at all costs, try to stay out of the reach of the Portland Police.
They were alcoholics for the most part, and being locked up without booze for a couple of days was torture for them.
I learned a good lesson about wino bums from a store clerk that worked at a store called "Corno's Fruit Market".
While shopping there one afternoon, I saw a wino steal a bottle of MD 20/20 and hurriedly walk out the door.
When I told the clerk, he told me that he wouldn't do a thing, as he seen a desperate wino being confronted at the door and had broken the bottle and cut up an employee while trying to get away.
Ah yes! CORNO'S! Back when Portland weird was cool.

Ahhhh the smell of musty canvass and moth repellant!
The place I grew up with was in Murray Utah. Just a couple three miles from where we lived. "Allied Development". What a great place! Their motto was.. "If we don't have it, You don't need it!"

Man, that sucks! We used to always make the trip to Portland JUST to visit the three business's in that neighborhood, Andy & Bax, Next Adventure, and Oilly Damion, covered Most outdoor needs on one short block!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top