JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found a 5 gallon bucket past half full of fired .308's that needed resizing. Just finished a little bit ago.
I decap and resize separately from reloading so as not run lubed cases through my reloader. Using RCBS water soluble lube. Still need to run them through the Dillon trimmer but that's the easy part.

I finished up 1,000 lake city 308 recently myself. Pretty sure they'd been fired through a machine gun because DAMN they were extremely difficult to resize!!!

Got that. The easy ones were from a bolt gun. The empties from the Fal and CETME that had run hot were a b*#!h. More than a few I backed out and gave some extra lube.
These last lake city 308 brass were the sole reason I decided to plop down $$ for an annealing machine. Glad I did too. There was an EXTREMELY noticeable difference in the way they shot after I annealed them. Went from an average of 1 1/2" groups down to a best group of .469" and .620" respectively. Work hardened brass sucks bubblegum!

Got that. The easy ones were from a bolt gun. The empties from the Fal and CETME that had run hot were a b*#!h. More than a few I backed out and gave some extra lube.
Yeah, it's pretty bad when you're straining to resize with imperial sizing wax and a rock chucker press!

I finished up 1,000 lake city 308 recently myself. Pretty sure they'd been fired through a machine gun because DAMN they were extremely difficult to resize!!!
Back before 2012 I bought 1K of LC 1x fired for what I thought was a screaming deal. They had all been through a MG. Crimped primers, two to five of every 100 had rips in the case or some kind of crunch on the shoulder from the extractor. Of those that made it through to usable for reloading, I probably have tossed a lot more due to lo0se primer cups. Looking back, wasn't such a deal after all.
Something satisfying, looking at a pile of clean, shiny, sized brass waiting for primers, powder and projectiles.
Even happier when the final product is standing silently in its case, waiting to be fired.

I have 2 boxes of Lapua 308 brass and ~100 Nosler & Norma cases that someone left on a hillside, set aside.
I call them my "rainy day brass" because when I get tired of or disgusted with LC, Ⓧ (circle with x brass), PP, R-P, FC, and S&B, I'll pull those out.
I suspect I'll be a lot older when that happens.

I have always passed on anything fired out of a CETME/HK91/G3/etc with the fluted cylinder. I was under the impression the flutes worked the brass excessively during the first firing that it wasnt worth the time as it would end up with cracked case mouth much faster than a case fired out of a non-fluted chamber.

Machinegun brass...:s0124:

Im half-way through an 18 pound 5.56 range-brass project now; small base resized and de-primed.

Trimming them to 1.760"; 100 cases at a time...

One thing I notice when decapping civilian .223 brass for the first re-use; where the milspec brass has very little resistance when the decapping pin is raised out of the case neck, the civilian brass has much, much-more resistance on the internal sizing component of the pin....

Maybe milspec brass is easier on the decapping pin withdrawl because of the anealing...:s0092:

Edit: I usually lube inside the case necks of civilian brass with a q tip; 1 case neck of every 5.

Fun

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads