JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And the bad news is....
I had convo via email with Rosie at Sen. Roblan's office. To boil it down. He has made a commitment to vote yes on SB 978-5 in committee as long as there is a 16 count majority. I don't think this is part of a strategy to save his seat until the committee vote and then vote no in committee. She seemed sincere. She is frustrated that all the attn is being placed on him, but what does she expect since he could kill it. I told her as politely as I could that if he feels the bill is worthy of a yes vote in committee than he should vote yes on the floor as well. I also suggested, ah heck this would take to darn long to explain, here is the email I sent her:

The majority could make that case but Sen. Roblan could make the case he was voting his conscience and the will of the people. As was evidenced by the turnout at the judiciary hearing for SB 978-5, the constituency who know what's in this bill and care about their rights and property oppose this bill by large margin. It was nearly 5 to 1 showing by opponents and I observed this first hand. Many people including some in the Majority do not know what's in this bill and they are being misinformed by Ceasefire and other anti-gun groups, the media and even legislators. For example Sen. Burdick made this statement about SB 978-5 in the Mid-Session Update Senate newsletter published on April 18th: "Senate Bill 978 accomplishes this balance by taking several crucial steps to ensure our community is safer from guns without regulating the ownership of any firearm or ammunition."
I think you will recognize right away that Section 17 (2) criminalizes possession of many older firearms and that is regulating ownership firearms. So her statement is not accurate. I have wrote her office numerous times and received no response and the inaccurate statement is still in the newsletter: Mid-Session Update

The majority is only a majority by one for this bill and my guess is many of them don't know what's in this bill or how bad this bill will be for Oregonian's. I have had to educate Republican Senators on some of the in the weeds issues surrounding Section 17. I understand legislators have a huge workload this year with heavy duty subjects but SB 978-5 is not a bill to vote on based on soundbites and misinformation.

People have gone along with majorities throughout history and it didn't always turn out well. I would strongly urge Sen. Roblan to give this some thought and make extra time to meet with his constituents in his district. If he knows this bill is wrong but votes it out of committee because of a majority by one, he will not feel good about it. But if he thinks the bill is good enough to leave committee he should vote the same on the floor as he does in committee. It would not make sense to do otherwise.

I hope Sen. Roblan will visit with his constituents and reconsider his committee vote based on his feelings about the bill and not a commitment to a majority by one.

Something else to think about is, if every vote in committee had to be along party lines of the majority and minority what's the point of having it. The committee is there to get up close and personal with the bills and they should know the bills better than the floor assy. The committee shouldn't be a rubber stamp event. I am confident Sen. Roblan knows this bill is bad for Oregonians in District 5 and every other part of the State.

Please tell Taylor I am sorry for mixing up her name as Terry in my earlier email. I have been juggling a bazillion different names recently.And thank you for the communications. I will be at the capitol on Thursday and I'll stop by to say hi. Thanks again for your help.

Last Edited:
According to OFF, Senator Roblan may be planning to vote "YES" in the Rules Committee. That would mean the bill will go to the floor for a vote where it is likely to pass, even though he says he will vote NO on the floor vote. This way, he can ensure that the vote passes while still being able to say that he voted against it.

Recommended OFF strategy:

Please contact his office and tell him you don't care how he votes "on the floor" if he does not use his power to kill this bill in committee.

Roblan's Phone 503-986-1705
Roblan's Email [email protected]

Here is the full story from OFF:
Roblan's Game - Oregon Firearms Federation

More ideas from me:
It may be worthwhile to also try to get the following changes if nothing else:
1 - Add a grandfather clause to section 17 for firearms with serial numbers that were made before 1968. EDIT: Better yet, as noted in comments below, the grandfather clause should include "untraceable" firearm made before the date the act goes into effect (if it passes).
2 - Remove section 25 which allows public buildings to restrict CHL carry, or else we would have a hard time knowing exactly where we can and cannot legally carry concealed.

According to OFF, Senator Roblan may be planning to vote "YES" in the Rules Committee. That would mean the bill will go to the floor for a vote where it is likely to pass, even though he says he will vote NO on the floor vote. This way, he can ensure that the vote passes while still being able to say that he voted against it.

Please contact his office and tell him you don't care how he votes "on the floor" if he does not use his power to kill this bill in committee.

More ideas from me:
1 - Add a grandfather clause to section 17 for firearms with serial numbers that were made before 1968. EDIT: Better yet, as noted in comments below, the grandfather clause should include "untraceable" firearm made before the date the act goes into effect (if it passes).
2 - Remove section 25 which allows public buildings to restrict CHL carry, or else we would have a hard time knowing exactly where we can and cannot legally carry concealed.
Been emailing Roblan pretty regularly. Actually to the point his aid has requested folks stop as apparently he has received "thousands" of calls and emails. Will continue to contact this politician but in my experience by and large progressives aren't interested in points yo the contrary. They don't really care and

More ideas from me:
Been sending regular emails to Roblan, the last one telling him folks are very aware of the disingenuous nature and purpose of his actions as a shill for his political buddies. That most are, thanks to the computer age, aware of how sausage is made in the name of "progress". That if this turd is voted out of committee it will pass regardless of his for showy "nay" on the floor, and he's just pigeoned for the team. "For party not state" is the real name of their game and the underpinnings of these bad actors foundations are rotten and collapsing in on themselves. An even casual look over of the foster care tragedy, and browns "we'll appoint a committee" tepid response should set off alarm bells in the rational. Expect that it will all ultimately fall on deaf ears and eyes blinded by the arrogance of power. We'll see I guess.

Last Edited:
Just received this today from Sen. Roblan.

4ADAC6ED-8FA5-44BD-AE7F-6954F20FDDE3.jpeg

Arakboss,

Just wanted to say "Thank you" for all of your hard work and professionalism regarding this awful bill currently in committee. Your sacrifice of self and time are much appreciated.

I think if all of us who contact the legislators' offices would take the time to produce thoughtful, respectful communications that we would be surprised at how receptive some of them would be, and we only need a few that are willing to listen.

How can we get constituents in Sen. Roblan's and Sen. Beyer's districts more engaged in this battle to stop SB 978-5? Do they really give a rip in SD 5 & SD 6? Kevin from OFF may get an op-ed opportunity in the Newport Times, what about other papers in their districts. Are the FFLs speaking up about this? There is no FFL exemption for section 17 (2) firearm ban. Any clubs, ranges, etc who will get involved? Feels like we're grasping at straws.

Arakboss,

Just wanted to say "Thank you" for all of your hard work and professionalism regarding this awful bill currently in committee. Your sacrifice of self and time are much appreciated.

I think if all of us who contact the legislators' offices would take the time to produce thoughtful, respectful communications that we would be surprised at how receptive some of them would be, and we only need a few that are willing to listen.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. It's a team effort and I am trying to make up for all the years I neglected to be engaged. I know many of you have been at this for a long time and I am trying to do my part.

Thoughtful and respectful communications will definitely illicit more responses. It really stinks that we have to make these efforts to protect our rights that should have been settled centuries ago, but if we don't they will steamroll us in nothing flat. (bad pun intended)

Unfortunately I think only a few feel they can make a difference enough to actually take the time to fight these constitutional infringements.

Most people I know bury their head in the sand. The idea being if they don't pay attention it doesn't exist or they don't have to worry about it. Life is stressful, it's just one more thing to add to the stress.

I contend that freedom requires vigilance, even if it adds contention to an already contentious world.

Thank you all for not being apathetic.

It really stinks that we have to make these efforts to protect our rights that should have been settled centuries ago, but if we don't they will steamroll us in nothing flat.

Our rights were settled centuries ago:

Original Ten Amendments: The Bill of Rights
Passed by Congress September 25, 1789.
Ratified December 15, 1791.

And for centuries we have allowed them be taken from us. They will continue to do so until we collectively demonstrate a determined and dogged unwillingness to comply.

Our rights were settled centuries ago:

Original Ten Amendments: The Bill of Rights
Passed by Congress September 25, 1789.
Ratified December 15, 1791.

And for centuries we have allowed them be taken from us. They will continue to do so until we collectively demonstrate a determined and dogged unwillingness to comply.
Could get messy, just sayin'

The gal who wrote this article in Newport Times singing the praises of SB 978-5, sent me this email.
No reasonable person should oppose SB 978

NOW forwarded your comment about SB 978-1. Good question, and I am sure many have the same concern: Will be legal to possess pre-1968 firearms if SB 978 passes?

The phrase "in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 923(i)" found in SB 978-5 is intended to mean that SB 978 applies only to guns manufactured after 1968 because they are already required to have a serial number. It was not intended to mean that guns manufactured before 1968 were illegal if they were not serialized. Everyone agreed, however, that this is a significant issue worth clarifying for the public.

The Judiciary Committee's legal counsel will amend the Bill to clarify that unserialized guns that were legal due to manufacture date, etc., are grandfathered in. The Committee wants no ambiguity.

Best regards,
Monica Kirk, Steering Committee
Central Coast Ceasefire Oregon

I am not sure what she was replying to, but I may have emailed CCCO through their website. I have so many emails lately it's difficult to keep track. She is clearly missing the full impact of Section 17 (2) as it will also prohibit possession of home built firearms made at any time with untraceable receivers/frames as defined by Sec. 17 (1) (b). These home built firearms would not have legally been required to have a serial number simply to possess. And from the amendment she described that won't address the issue. I think her info is all screwed up anyways regarding amendment because the Judiciary Committee should be out of the picture at this point since SB 978-5 left their committee in -5 form. Trying to identify when a firearm was made will be difficult to do in the field and an amendment that tries to address pre vs post 1968 firearms would be difficult to implement.

Think guido was talking about forcibly removing the tyrants from their positions and returning the government(s) back to accountability to We the People, ya know, kinda the way those old guys who defeated a king intended it to be.
I figured that was what he meant, the point I was trying to make was that CA has gone way past the infringement we have suffered and there has been no accountability reset movement that has succeeded down there yet. Has there been a recent sucessful reset model that has happened in a US State in recent decades. I have seen a lot of "throw the bums out" type remarks lately and they are usaully accompanied by remarks about how all other efforts are useless. I may be too optimistic but I think our efforts are making some progress. I've said this before recently but look at all the bills that could have been shoved through Salem if we had all just sat on our hands. We may or may not be successful in defeating SB 978-5 but it could have been much worse, like SB 501 worse if nobody had resisted and proponents were left alone.

I would like to see a reset at the ballot box before we give up on current efforts. We have to remember that our opponents are not only sitting in Salem. They are a majority of the electorate that voted the bums in.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top