JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for being engaged. I attended the meeting with Rep. Nearman today after dropping off some thank you cards to various Senate offices. @LethalLovebird chased me down after I dropped off thank you card for Taylor and Rosie at Sen. Roblan's office. I guess he had been meeting with Sen. Roblan He said the card was well received by the ladies. Anyways back to meeting. It was sort of a bust as Rep. Nearman was not prepared to do history of guns presentation so he took some questions and did a presentation on budget stuff. I am thinking we need a better attempt at weekday rally. The hallways on the house side were crawling with some union group in green. They were everywhere in big numbers.

Jeff Kropf and Rep. Post each spoke after Rep. Nearman left. The one thing I learned is that we need to make our letters connect with the legislators on an emotional level. Like the school kids do but with substance. Womens stories will get more sympathy so if you know any women that can offer up a good heart tugging story that relates to laws proposed in SB 978-5, ask them to share their story with legislators.

Stories about how vulnerable they well feel since their public building were they work will prohibit guns if this law passes. Ladies in janatorial business who clean public businesses at night and will no longer be able to carry.
All great points. Nice meeting you!!

Here is my reply to Monica Kirk:

Monica, thank you for the letter.

I thought that the Senate Judiciary Committee was done with SB 978-5 as they passed it through their committee in the -5 form? It was expected that any further amendments would happen in the Rules Committee where the bill currently sits. Regardless, it will be very difficult to amend this bill in a way that will prevent possession of many Oregonian's firearms from being criminalized.

I will take your word for it, that the bill's authors did not intend for possession of firearms manufactured in the US prior to 1968 and firearms imported in to the US prior to 1968 to be criminalized. But this leads me to wonder if other impacts that will result from passage of this bill are unintended.

Section 17 (2) will also criminalize possession of home built firearms that are not serialized in accordance to the federal regulations required by Section 17 (1) (b). These home built firearms are currently legal to build and possess. They do not require any serialization unless they are transferred. In that case the feds offer a method for the builder of the firearm to add a serial number so the firearm may transferred legally. SB 978-5 offers no grandfathering of these firearms or method for serializing them to comply with SB 978-5.

There are many thousands of these firearms in this State. Law abiding Oregonian's have invested a lot of time, labor and money in to these custom built firearms. It should not be acceptable to any honest and fair minded Oregonian that we criminalize the possession of these firearms they worked hard to create. Washington State just passed a similar "untraceable" ban law (SHB1739) but they grandfathered in all untraceable firearms manufactured before July 1, 2019. While I also disagree with that ban, this was a more appropiate method to prevent criminalizing previously lawfully owned firearms.

I would like to see proponents of this bill have a much better understanding of the negative impacts SB 978-5 will have on Oregonian's across this State. There has been a lot of misinformation shared by proponents and legislators in attempts to promote this bill. That is not acceptable to me and shouldn't be to CCCO members either. I would encourage your group to review the information you put out about SB 978-5 and make sure it is accurate and not misleading. Misrepresentation is not a healthy way to promote legislation.
I guess Monica didn't want to engage in facts, here is her reply to my reply:
Please call the Office of the AG or Speaker Prozanski. I agree that information must be accurate, and I am not authorized to speak on behalf of the Attorney General or Legislative Counsel.

I guess Monica didn't want to engage in facts here is her reply to my reply:
Please call the Office of the AG or Speaker Prozanski. I agree that information must be accurate, and I am not authorized to speak on behalf of the Attorney General or Legislative Counsel.
Speaker Prozanski? AG? She sure didn't have a problem spouting her 3rd hand knowledge in the Op-Ed she wrote. The Newport News Times needs a fact check dept.

I met with Beyers today, I scheduled a meeting with for tomorrow with Prozanski. I have already set an appointment with Manning as well. I'm in both of their districts. I have concerns with Beyers, we need people in his district.

arakboss, lethallovebird, I'm wondering if you've asked these legislators (face-to-face) the following simple question:

Where are the data and statistics that prove, or even simply indicate that, in any statistically significant way, Oregon has a problem and needs SB 978?

Specifically, where are the data and statistics that indicate
  • firearm serial numbers have been used to solve crimes
  • home-made firearms have been used in crimes
  • concealed handgun licensees have caused firearm-related injuries while carrying their firearms in public places, or have committed crimes with their firearms
and so on.

I don't want to hear generalities about "gun violence", I want to hear them defend the bill with specifics.

I'd really like to know their answers, because to me it's clear: Oregon does not have a problem.

Also:

How easy is it to get an appointment with a legislator, and how much time do they typically give you? Perhaps you can quickly describe the process and your experience to-date, how you prepared, what transpired in the meeting, tips, etc. This would be good info for others contemplating this route.

Thanks for your efforts.

Last Edited:
arakboss, lethallovebird, I'm wondering if you've asked these legislators the following simple question:

Where are the data and statistics that prove, or even simply indicate that, in any statistically significant way, Oregon has a problem and needs SB 978?

Specifically, where are the data and statistics that indicate
  • firearm serial numbers have been used to solve crimes
  • home-made firearms have been used in crimes
  • concealed handgun licensees have caused firearm-related injuries while carrying their firearms in public places, or have committed crimes with their firearms
and so on.

I don't want to hear generalities about "gun violence", I want to hear them defend the bill with specifics.

I'd really like to know their answers, because to me it's clear: Oregon does not have a problem.

Also:

How easy is it to get an appointment with a legislator, and how much time do they typically give you? Perhaps you can quickly describe the process and your experience to-date, how you prepared, what transpired in the meeting, tips, etc. This would be good info for others contemplating this route.

Thanks for your efforts.
It's funny you mention that. Rep. Post and Jeff Kropf said that many of the legislators don't respond to common sense and that if you could tie your arguments for or against with an emotional story that will go much further in influencing them. I think that is harder for men to do but we can probably fake that emotion in writing.

It's funny you mention that. Rep. Post and Jeff Kropf said that many of the legislators don't respond to common sense and that if you could tie your arguments for or against with an emotional story that will go much further in influencing them. I think that is harder for men to do but we can probably fake that emotion in writing.
Sorry, I meant asking them face-to-face in your meetings (just edited the post to make this clear) and not letting them avoid the question with generalities. Since the data they need to justify SB 978 either doesn't exist, or exists and proves there's no problem, I was curious how they would respond.

Last Edited:
Sorry, I meant asking them face-to-face in your meetings (just edited the post to make this clear) and not letting them avoid the question with generalities. Since the data they need to justify SB 978 either doesn't exist, or exists and proves there's no problem, I was curious how they would respond.
It would be interesting to see how they would respond in person. I imagine it would be similiar to the responses they have given in the townhalls. If they don't feel capable of a response they will probably duck the question by saying they will look in to it, ect. If you are having trouble getting your legislators to meet with you, Jeff suggested you find out when they are in hearings and hit them up as they are leaving the hearing. You could try for in district meeting too. I imagine 30min is the most you will get with scheduled meeting.

If you are familiar with current district make up, do you think he will get booted out next election or is that area filling up with his type of voters?
He was the principal at Marshfield High School in Coos Bay Oregon. If his politics are anything like his leadership in the school I would not trust him as far as I could throw him.

Thanks for being engaged. I attended the meeting with Rep. Nearman today after dropping off some thank you cards to various Senate offices. @LethalLovebird chased me down after I dropped off thank you card for Taylor and Rosie at Sen. Roblan's office. I guess he had been meeting with Sen. Roblan He said the card was well received by the ladies. Anyways back to meeting. It was sort of a bust as Rep. Nearman was not prepared to do history of guns presentation so he took some questions and did a presentation on budget stuff. I am thinking we need a better attempt at weekday rally. The hallways on the house side were crawling with some union group in green. They were everywhere in big numbers.

Jeff Kropf and Rep. Post each spoke after Rep. Nearman left. The one thing I learned is that we need to make our letters connect with the legislators on an emotional level. Like the school kids do but with substance. Womens stories will get more sympathy so if you know any women that can offer up a good heart tugging story that relates to laws proposed in SB 978-5, ask them to share their story with legislators.

Stories about how vulnerable they well feel since their public building were they work will prohibit guns if this law passes. Ladies in janatorial business who clean public businesses at night and will no longer be able to carry.
A couple of points I forgot to mention, Sen. Winters health is not good and it's possible she could miss votes because of this. This could mean that we would need two more democrat Senators besides Roblan and Johnson. Finding one more seems difficult enough but two would seem very unlikely. A member here suggested we target Sen. Monnes-Anderson. I will let him explain why. I told him I was skeptical because she had her name all over a bunch of anti gun bills but what do we have to lose. She might be a great person to practice the sob stories on. If you know any doctors nurses or staff who conceal carry at ohsu maybe they could provide a good story.

A couple of points I forgot to mention, Sen. Winters health is not good and it's possible she could miss votes because of this. This could mean that we would need two more democrat Senators besides Roblan and Johnson. Finding one more seems difficult enough but two would seem very unlikely. A member here suggested we target Sen. Monnes-Anderson. I will let him explain why. I told him I was skeptical because she had her name all over a bunch of anti gun bills but what do we have to lose. She might be a great person to practice the sob stories on. If you know any doctors nurses or staff who conceal carry at ohsu maybe they could provide a good story.

Good grief - these folks are amateurs! Just like the Montana senator that missed the Kavanaugh vote because of a wedding. How difficult can it be for these people to vote over the phone or internet! Are they incapable of figuring this out?!

Interesting info from you guys. I think close races on a district level is way more doable than a state wide official such as K.B. at least to start with. Most recalls are a monumental fail but I would be very happy to collect signatures if there is no restrictions on residence as I don't live in his district. I've attended the recent rallies, submitted testimony to the senate committee and individuals, made phone calls to the bendable Democrats highlighted here..time is very short. I don't know what else to do short of winding up in the jailhouse and losing the rights I'm fighting to keep.
The more I th
I have not found the vote count "by district" yet. Those in power have made it difficult to remove them (see recall manual), and our side would need to be ready for the next step in the process when the recall is successful.

https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/RecallManual.pdf

From page 13 of the recall manual:

Recall Election

If the public officer does not resign within five days, the election must be held no later than the 35th day after the last day for the public officer to resign. The elections official completes the recall process by coordinating with the county elections official to schedule and conduct the election. Each recall ballot will include all of the following:

 the chief petitioner's reasons for demanding the recall exactly as submitted by the chief petitioner on form SEL 350;

 an exact reprint of the public officer's statement of justification from form SEL 352, if submitted;

 the question – Do you vote to recall from the office of ?

With the elected official's name printed in the first blank space and the public office held by the elected official printed in the second blank space;

and

 area to record yes or no vote.

The elections official will provide a copy of the results to the public officer.

If the recall election is successful the position becomes vacant and is filled in accordance with state statute or local charter or ordinance

If the recall election is unsuccessful, the public official remains in office and any additional recall petitions that are filed against the same person during the same term must be accompanied by a deposit that is equal to the cost to conduct the first recall election.

Per page 4 of the recall manual we can also go after other officials: :) Know of any vulnerable anti judges?

Public offices that are subject to recall

State Public Offices:

 Governor, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, Attorney General, State Senator, State Representative, Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries (Labor Commissioner), Judge (Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Tax Court, Circuit Court and a County Judge who exercises judicial functions), and District Attorney are subject to recall. The State Elections Division is the filing officer for the Recall Petition for these offices.

Local Public Offices:

 County Commissioner, Justice of the Peace, County Clerk, County Assessor, County Treasurer, Sheriff, elective city positions, and elective special district positions are subject to recall. The County, City or District is the filing officer for the Recall Petition for these offices.
About 63,000 voted in his 2016 Senate race. Assuming the same amount voted in the 2018 governers race, that means you would need about 9500 verified signatures to get recall on the ballot. 32,000 vote for Roblans opponents so you would need maybe a little over a third of them to sign recall petition. That actually sounds doable.

Edit: over $50,000 was spent trying to recall Prozanski in 2015 for about the same amount of required signatures. They failed, barely.

Last Edited:
Ol' Kate Brown is in trouble too!! There was an article in the Eugene-Register guard about her walking back her promises to the unions about not messing with PERS and the unions are hopping mad!!!

firearm serial numbers have been used to solve crimes

THIS! Michael Bane said publicly he's friends with many forensic experts and they stated they rarely if ever are used for this purpose! Which leaves only one reason in his mind we have them. Registration and confiscation and I agree with him.

This fantasy that serial numbers help solve crimes is just that, a fantasy.

Oregon legislators legislate based upon emotion, not logic and fact, what could possibly go wrong there?

The more I learn about the inside workings, the more I'm convinced the State Capital building needs to be exterminated and the vermin removed. Time for a fresh start...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads