JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks arakboss - I think it's important to get people to submit public testimony to the rules committee in addition to letters to the members. We don't want them to be able to cite a majority of "Anti" testimony as a reason to pass the bill to the floor. The email address for submission is:

[email protected]

Thanks All -

RKBA

Thanks arakboss - I think it's important to get people to submit public testimony to the rules committee in addition to letters to the members. We don't want them to be able to cite a majority of "Anti" testimony as a reason to pass the bill to the floor. The email address for submission is:

[email protected]

Thanks All -

RKBA
Good idea. I emailed some Senators to see if they would be accepting and reviewing testimony for hearing in Rules Committee. Somebody (maybe OFF) told they definitely would not be accepting in person testimony but they were unsure whether they would accept written testimony.

I sent off a round of SB 978-5 opposition letters last night:
1) A personal letter to Senator Roblan, since I have testified before him before
2) A group letter to all the other Rules Committee members
3) Committee testimony for the public record

For those not aware, the Senate Committee On Rules is chaired by the anti-gun zealot Ginny Burdick. She has long been a problem, pushing "sensible gun legislation" designed infringe on your rights and make you a criminal. She will do everything possible to get this BS legislation passed so now is not the time for us to let up. Contact every firearm owner you know and convince them to speak up NOW!

:s0107::s0143:

RKBA
I just sent this to Sen. Roblan:

Sen. Roblan,

It was explained to me, the difficult position you have been placed in regarding a potential vote on SB 978-5 in the Rules Committee. I understand you could be bumped from your committee seat depending on how you play this out. Your constituents in SD 5 and Oregonians from all across this State are depending on you to develop a strategy that will allow you to vote no and kill SB 978-5 in Committee. If you vote yes in committee, it will almost certainly assure passage of this abhorrent bill on the Senate Floor.

I think I can speak for most when I tell you it doesn't matter how you say you will vote leading up to a Committee hearing on SB 978-5 as long as you vote no when the Committee vote is taken. I am sorry the passage or defeat of this bill has fallen on your shoulders in the Committee vote but I have faith you will vote no when it matters.

Last Edited:
According to OFF, Senator Roblan may be planning to vote "YES" in the Rules Committee. That would mean the bill will go to the floor for a vote where it is likely to pass, even though he says he will vote NO on the floor vote. This way, he can ensure that the vote passes while still being able to say that he voted against it.

Recommended OFF strategy:

Please contact his office and tell him you don't care how he votes "on the floor" if he does not use his power to kill this bill in committee.

Roblan's Phone 503-986-1705
Roblan's Email [email protected]

Here is the full story from OFF:
Roblan's Game - Oregon Firearms Federation

More ideas from me:
It may be worthwhile to also try to get the following changes if nothing else:
1 - Add a grandfather clause to section 17 for firearms with serial numbers that were made before 1968. EDIT: Better yet, as noted in comments below, the grandfather clause should include "untraceable" firearm made before the date the act goes into effect (if it passes).
2 - Remove section 25 which allows public buildings to restrict CHL carry, or else we would have a hard time knowing exactly where we can and cannot legally carry concealed.
Technically speaking, cannot public buildings already "restrict" people from carrying in the sense that if they notice you carrying, they can ask you to leave? There is no legal recourse for them unless you don't heed their instruction for you to vacate the premises with your firearm after which point they can notify the police. That's what makes this bill so ridiculous. They want to jump all the way to having CHL holders arrested ON THE SPOT for simply doing what they're allowed to do in society. Even if it were made into some sort of crime, the punishment is not appropriate.

Technically speaking, cannot public buildings already "restrict" people from carrying in the sense that if they notice you carrying, they can ask you to leave? There is no legal recourse for them unless you don't heed their instruction for you to vacate the premises with your firearm after which point they can notify the police. That's what makes this bill so ridiculous. They want to jump all the way to having CHL holders arrested ON THE SPOT for simply doing what they're allowed to do in society. Even if it were made into some sort of crime, the punishment is not appropriate.

If you mean open carry I do not know the rules for that because I don't do it. If you are carrying concealed how would they know?

Owners of privately owned buildings are allowed to prohibit concealed carry. I think if they discover you are carrying concealed they can ask you to leave. If you leave, I don't think you've broken the law.

Today, if you have a CC permit, per ORS 166.360 (9), and per ORS 166.370 3(g) you may carry in a public building. The building administrator, even if he/she hates guns, may not prohibit CC. Public building is defined in 166.360 (9) as:

"(9) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility."

Even with a CC permit, you cannot CC in a court facility.

Link to current laws:
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

SB 978 will make it so schools, colleges, universities, hospitals, airports, etc, can prohibit concealed carry, but they don't have to prohibit it. This will mean you will not know before you go there if it's allowed or not, and by the time you find the sign you'll already be on the property and will have committed a felony. Thus, it creates a serious legal hazard. Also, it doesn't specify if the sidewalk outside the school fence is part of the school grounds - if you walk there are you legal? And it does not exclude the passenger pickup/dropoff area of an airport - is your gun in your car legal or not?

Text of SB 978 as currently written. See sections 25 thru 28 starting on page 35 here:
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/15678

Note: to Ceasefire Oregon open up your darn facebook page so I comment on your BS propaganda.

Thank you Ceasefire Oregon for this handy list. If anybody opposed to SB 978-5 lives in or near these districts please attend these events. It would be great if we could overwhelm the antis by numbers and call out the ridiculous laws in this bill:

Town halls in east OR, Salem, Phoenix, Portland, coast:
Sen. Roblan & Rep. Gomberg hold monthly video town halls on Fridays at community colleges. Email them for dates, locations, and times.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sen. Hansell & Rep. Barreto hold video town halls on 1st & 3rd Weds each month from Feb thru June. Meetings open to all. Boardroom, Pioneer Hall, 2411 NW Carden, Pendleton, 7-7:45 AM, May 1, May 15, Jun 5, Jun 19

Sat April 20, 1-2:30 pm, Sen. Dembrow, Reps. Keny-Guyer & Smith Warner, Portland Community College, SE Campus Community Hall, SE Division near 79th St

Sat April 27, Rep. Denyc Boles, 9 am, McDonald's, 5090 Commercial St SE, Salem

Sat April 27, Rep. Piluso & Sen. Monnes Anderson, 10 a.m., City Hall, 1333 NW Eastman Pkwy, Gresham (new location)

Sat April 27, Rep. Pam Marsh, 1-3 PM, Phoenix Plaza Civic Center, 220 N. Main St

Sat May 11 10 a.m., Rep. Tiffiny Mitchell, Pine Grove Community House, 225 Laneda, Manzanita

Sat May 11 2 p.m., Rep. Tiffiny Mitchell, Tillamook Cty Library (Community Rooms), 1716 3rd St.

Sat May 11, Reps. Margaret Doherty and Sheri Schouten. Contact [email protected] for time and location

I just sent this to Sen. Roblan:

Sen. Roblan,

It was explained to me, the difficult position you have been placed in regarding a potential vote on SB 978-5 in the Rules Committee. I understand you could be bumped from your committee seat depending on how you play this out. Your constituents in SD 5 and Oregonians from all across this State are depending on you to develop a strategy that will allow you to vote no and kill SB 978-5 in Committee. If you vote yes in committee, it will almost certainly assure passage of this abhorrent bill on the Senate Floor.

I think I can speak for most when I tell you it doesn't matter how you say you will vote leading up to a Committee hearing on SB 978-5 as long as you vote no when the Committee vote is taken. I am sorry the passage or defeat of this bill has fallen on your shoulders in the Committee vote but I have faith you will vote no when it matters.
I have sent many emails to Sen. Roblan and received a few replies from one of his assts but I received a reply today from the Senator to this email. "Thanks"

I didn't solicit a reply in my email so read in to it what you will. I am looking at it as a glass half full sign.

Last Edited:
Sheriff Palmer gives his 2 cents to Sen. Roblan.

Screenshot_20190420-212542.png

Ceasefire Oregon would like to set the record straight about SB 978. We were worried for nothing /s :
Yes, antique firearms are clearly and specifically excluded from serial number requirements, from minimum age of purchase, and for unfinished frames or receivers designed or intended for antique guns.
Another installment of setting the record straight by Ceasefire Oregon your true anti-friend to the end:
  • Yes, concealed carry license holders still can responsibly carry their guns in the parking lots of public schools and airports.
    • "Excludes parking lots or drop off areas of airports, schools, and other public buildings from area subject to public ordinances restricting ability to carry a concealed weapon." Staff Summary
This was sent in a Ceasefire email and was provided to me by a member here (thank you). The "Staff Summary" at the end of the statement appeared to be a non-functioning link, to what I have no idea. While the -5 amended version of SB 978 does offer an exemption for parking areas it does not offer an exemption for drop off areas at public buildings. This makes their statement a lie. This was a huge issue among those who provided testimony. It is another area where Ceasefire is taking notice and trying to ease Oregonian's concerns with misinformation. This obviously won't impact people adamantly opposed to the bill but it could dampen opposition among more neutral (less informed) firearm owners. Media does not appear to be interested in accurate reporting of these topics. I would like to be able to counter this information among this crowd but how?

Last Edited:
I will fire off a new round of emails emphasizing this point tomorrow. I am fine if he doesn't tell us how he is going to vote in committee as long as he does vote no when the committee vote happens. He may need to hide his intention of voting no in committee to protect his committee seat.

I'm sure if there will be any grand fathering . They will want registration.

Great job, thank you!

Sen. Burdick will even use blatant lies to advance her agenda:
"Senate Bill 978 accomplishes this balance by taking several crucial steps to ensure our community is safer from guns without regulating the ownership of any firearm or ammunition."

Please call out Sen. Burdick's lie publicly and privately, wherever you can find an audience, like here:
Ceasefire Oregon on Twitter

Ginny has lied and twisted information publicly for years since the begging if the universal background check scam.. If thou is to point it out they will be a extremist.,, so what is bad about a truth extremist ? Ask her and see what nonsense she comes up with.

According to OFF, Senator Roblan may be planning to vote "YES" in the Rules Committee. That would mean the bill will go to the floor for a vote where it is likely to pass, even though he says he will vote NO on the floor vote. This way, he can ensure that the vote passes while still being able to say that he voted against it.

Recommended OFF strategy:

Please contact his office and tell him you don't care how he votes "on the floor" if he does not use his power to kill this bill in committee.

Roblan's Phone 503-986-1705
Roblan's Email [email protected]

Here is the full story from OFF:
Roblan's Game - Oregon Firearms Federation

More ideas from me:
It may be worthwhile to also try to get the following changes if nothing else:
1 - Add a grandfather clause to section 17 for firearms with serial numbers that were made before 1968. EDIT: Better yet, as noted in comments below, the grandfather clause should include "untraceable" firearm made before the date the act goes into effect (if it passes).
2 - Remove section 25 which allows public buildings to restrict CHL carry, or else we would have a hard time knowing exactly where we can and cannot legally carry concealed.
Just sent mine off.

It sounds like they are working on an amendment for AB 978-5 to address the criminalization of possession of pre-1968 firearms. I was going to send out some letters regarding the section of the bill dealing with unfinished receivers/frames. It is likely the legislators current opinion of unfinished receivers/frames will be based on information provided in videos like this:

How would you suggest I counter this information?

Would a serial number have prevented this from happening ?
Regarding the CA shooting, they might argue yes as that guy tried to buy a firearm and was denied for some mental reasons. So he ordered the 80% receiver, plus other necessary parts and put together his own rifle. SB 978-5 wants unfinished (eg 80%) receivers/frames to be serialized and sold just like finished receivers/frames with background check. I am looking for a good argument as to why that won't help.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top