JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't know if this is a repost, but I figured it was worth posting even if it is.

Oregon Firearms Federation

MORE MUCKRAKERS PILE ON.

A "reporter" for the Salem "Statesman Journal" is demanding ALL information of concealed handgun license holders.

Stacey Barchenger has contacted several sheriffs demanding "information about all people with concealed handgun licenses in Marion County, including all fields that are part of the CHL applications." (Emphasis added.)

This particular demand makes it clear that Barchenger is seeking not only names, addresses, phone numbers and references, but also the social security numbers of any license holder who disclosed it.

In Barchenger's demand letter, she says "Please understand that we seek these records for the purposes of public interest, and we hope that the spirit of openness in Oregon government will prevail." However Barchenger has refused to disclose the reason for the demand, and while making her demands "in the spirit of openness," doesn't even allow people to see the contents of her "twitter" page.

Most sheriffs are making good faith efforts to protect the privacy of license holders, but like hyenas in a feeding frenzy, we fully expect the "press" to use the recent court decision in Jackson County as an excuse to divulge sensitive information.

It's essential that we do all we can to make sure legislation is passed in 2011 to guarantee the privacy of CHL holders. In the meantime we suggest that you contact Barchenger and let her know that having a CHL does not make a person newsworthy and that you expect to have your privacy respected.

Stacey Barchenger
Statesman Journal
280 NE Church St.
Salem, OR 97301
503-399-6610
[email protected]

Maybe we should let the Statesman Journal editor know we no longer support his paper.In these times newspapers are fighting to keep the readers they have and to lose even a few really hurts...Robin

I stopped my subscription to the Oregonian many many years ago, never had one to the Statesman. I almost never watch ABC, CBS, NBC or PBS, nor MSNBC. It's been years since I let them brainwash me.
NBC's Law and Order telling everyone that Christians are evil and backwards, that tea party attenders are dangerous, that home schoolers are basically practicing child abuse by protecting their kids from the gang banger hallways that teach a theory as a fact and 5 year olds get to learn how to put a condom on a banana.

The world went one way and our family the other a long long time ago

Here is a link giving mailing and e-mail information about the Statesman Journal:

Statesman Journal - Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association

Owner is Gannett Co. Inc.

Publisher: Steve Silberman

Ex Editor: Bill Church

I would suspect that an e-mail to the Publisher and or Ex Editor would be a correct response re your displeasure about Stacy Barchenger's request for Concealed Carry data. They had to approve her move to get that data.

I guess if she is trying to get our information, it is only fair.

Stacey N Barchenger
1848 Drexler Ln NE
Keizer, OR 97303-2118

Parents:
Curtis Eugene Barchenger
Donna Lynn Barchenger

3758 78th Ave SE
Salem, OR 97317-9299
(503) 363-2551

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Good information:

But we need it for Steve Silberman the Publisher that approved this suit and Bill Church the executive editor who I am sure is part of the approval process.

Not positive this is the right guy, but he is in Salem.

Steven J Silberman Male | 50s
Illahe Hill Rd S
Salem, Oregon 97302 show full address
(503) 581-8283

I guess if she is trying to get our information, it is only fair.

Stacey N Barchenger
1848 Drexler Ln NE
Keizer, OR 97303-2118

Parents:
Curtis Eugene Barchenger
Donna Lynn Barchenger

3758 78th Ave SE
Salem, OR 97317-9299
(503) 363-2551

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Maybe if we picket in front of her house, she will more likely understand the importance of privacy. Just sayin.....

I sent a long email to her today.....hopefully she "gets it".

It would be better to contact their advertisers to let them know you will not be seeing their ads in that paper anymore due to their (lack of) privacy policy. Newspapers hate advertiser protests because it costs them money.

elsie

For years I have told them I didn't want their crappy liberal rag when they try to sell it to me in front of Wal Mart. I think I'll tell Wal Mart I won't be comnming in when that trash is in front of their door! I don't see petition gatherers there any more, I can't see how they can have paper trash there!
That paper always has the filty doonesbury and nothing conservative or honest.

I also contacted my local state representative, letting her know that giving criminals a shopping list of homes with firearms present, is probably not a really good idea...

So just a little over a week ago I emailed this Stacey person.....nice, 4 or 5 paragraphs explaining why I carry....legitimate reasons...(Threats, etc.)

Here's the response I finally got today. Smells stinky.....

J.S.L.,

Let me thank you for sharing your story. That is a perspective that no one else has shared with me. Please know that it is not my intent to publish your or any other CHL holders' name, address, SS, phone number, etc., as a result of my request.

I've copied and pasted the Statesman's response to inquiries about the CHL request below. Please contact me with any other questions.

Stacey

First, thanks for writing. We appreciate hearing from readers and the community in general on all issues of importance.

Second, we can understand your frustration if sensitive, private information were to be released.

However, it's important to put the Statesman Journal's request re: concealed handgun licenses in proper and factual perspective. A viral campaign to discredit the Statesman Journal's request unfortunately has caused unfounded angst and false conclusions.

The request was made in reaction to a Supreme Court ruling that makes basic information available to anyone. The Statesman Journal isn't alone; other news-gathering organizations and individuals also have made such requests nationally.

The request is part of a normal news-gathering process, no different than the court documents and public records sought by newspaper readers. (A perfect example is how the public has entrusted the Statesman Journal to seek documents regarding the Courthouse Square building project.) We requested this information as a reference for potential stories and not with the intent of publishing a list of concealed handgun license holders or their personal information.

The Statesman Journal has yet to receive any information re: concealed handgun licenses, and never specifically requested personal addresses or Social Security numbers. In fact, if the Statesman Journal had received Social Security numbers, editors and reporters would have asked why that personal information was obtainable. We understand policies are in place that keep that information private; and we'd expect that to be the case.

It's not our policy to report news without verifying facts and information. That's part of any credible news-gathering process.

Again, thank you for the inquiry and feedback.

Stacey Barchenger
Public safety reporter
Statesman Journal
280 Church St. NE
Salem, OR 97309
(503) 399-6610
Fax: 503-399-6706
StatesmanJournal.com/CapitolOffenses
Twitter.com/sjpublicsafety

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR