JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not a lot of press on this in the news but Oregon is currently in the process of finding a new director to lead the ODFW. Does anyone know if there is any public input on this decision?

Below is an article from an anti hunter perspective, to give you an idea of the impact the new director will have on the future of hunting and fishing in Oregon?
"
To make this vision a reality, the commission – along with the new director – will need to secure new sources of funding that are not tied to consumptive uses of wildlife.

The new director should be someone with a conservation background, not an old-school "wildlife management" degree who looks to the best science to guide policy. For instance, we now know and appreciate the presence of wolves, mountain lions and other predators in our ecosystems. "

Don't worry about a thing @Koda

Here is a statement from the ODFW press release announcing Melcher's retirement:

"The Commission will work closely with Governor Kotek's Natural Resources Office to recruit a new ODFW Director," Wahl continued. "We seek a director with a strong record protecting and managing our fish, wildlife and habitat assets, and one who will be an exceptional leader creating a vision for ODFW's work that meets the challenges Oregon faces from accelerating climate change and biodiversity loss impacts, and threats to our cold water sources."

Kinda makes me tear up. Or throw up. :confused::( I think there will be much less focus on achieving management objectives in game populations, and much more focus on left-wing priorities/payoffs. Maybe Shemia Fagan is still looking for a job.

I'm surprised Oregon hasn't banned domestic cats yet, with their depredation of bird species.
Why would the state ban domestic cats? Oregon is a predator friendly state and seeks to stay that way through embracing the public trust doctrine. Cat Karen and Bird Beth are usually one and the same. Match made in heaven right? In the name of "public trust"?

Why would the state ban domestic cats? Oregon is a predator friendly state and seeks to stay that way through embracing the public trust doctrine. Cat Karen and Bird Beth are usually one and the same. Match made in heaven right? In the name of "public trust"?
Because domestic felines are a leading cause of "biodiversity loss" among song birds. Stemming biodiversity loss is one of the objectives stated by the commission.

Because domestic felines are a leading cause of "biodiversity loss" among song birds. Stemming biodiversity loss is one of the objectives stated by the commission.
They were killing one owl to save another owl. Then found out that it didn't make a difference and they were just out killing owls.

There is a public comment period and an opportunity to ask questions at one of the meetings, but since it's online I think you have to submit in advance. Their website sure doesn't make it easy to figure out what's happening on which dates.

This will not have a happy ending. Liberal logic will restrict hunting, so the Wolves and Cougars have plenty to kill. More tags where game is scarce to lower hunter success, and on it goes. Let Wolves manage our game animals, that's what a new director will do.

Probably hire that guy who was just "doing a study" & "looking for hunter feedback" on lead free ammunition, but claims is "2A proponent"...

Has headed lead free ammo programs for 10 years, IIRC.

This state needs to introduce feline control hunts.
Think of the extra state revenue to be had with annual kitty tags.and expanded food cart menus.
MEOW 🙀

I'm sure they'll find someone as competent as the OFD chair. Totally decimate communities with idiotic policies and not give two chits about what happens to hard working Oregonians and their homes or way of life. Wouldn't surprise me if they hired the idiot that started IP28.

Songbirds aren't the only victim population of house cats. When the Pheasant numbers plummeted in the Willamette Valley (Hwy 26 near North Plains used to harbor multiple Roosters visible on both sides of the highway), an ODFW Biologist (when they were allowed to form scientific conclusions) said the absence was directly related to the proliferation of house cats that came with the increased development in the area. No silent predator of that size existed previously.

Keep your cats in the house. On my property they are on a VERY brief amount of borrowed time.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews