JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Correct me if my math is off. But an average adult cougar kills an average of 45 ungulates a year to live (USFS). There are well over 6400 cougars in Oregon (ODFW) and growing. Thats 292,500 ungulates a year to feed a cougar population thats growing not declining or even close to endangered.

ODFW puts a cap on cougar kills at 970 a year, total for the state: https://myodfw.com/cougar-quota-zone

With deer and elk on the decline, and predation having a huge impact on that. Especially when ODFW is dependent on game tag sales for deer and elk and considering the great difficulty of cougar hunting and the low success rate... Why is the cougar quota for the state so low?

I always heard it was one kill per week which if you take 365 days and divide by seven is 52.

With all the stinking federal holidays anymore, maybe the cougars take those days off.

Animals are forced to change their habitat, our house, in Lincoln City You have to be cautious You don't hit a deer when you're driving down the street in town.

The commercial showing the cougar trees by dogs and shot Started it all. This state will never go back to having common sense hunting laws.

Yeah, I have the feeling this is driven by anti hunting politics. Ive been searching but cant find the article where, IIRC, I read that Kate Brown appointed the majority of ODFW officials.

Another thing I found is supposedly Oregon counts kittens in their cougar population counts which some suggest isn't a fair count because supposedly kitten mortality is too high (ok then why the increasing numbers). After some deep web digging I found an ODFW report (pg128) citing an adult only population, statewide for 2015 (most current it showed) was 3291 adult cougars, so at approximately 45 ungulates a year average thats 148,095 ungulates... still a huge impact on herd populations.

I always heard it was one kill per week which if you take 365 days and divide by seven is 52.
I used the USFS link I cited above suggested 1 kill per every 6 to 12 days so I split it in the middle. I imagine it can be highly variable but even if I went with the lowest kill count estimate for adult cougar estimates (see my last post above this) thats stil 98,730 ungulate kills a year which I think is still a significant impact in ungulate populations that are on a decline.

I killed 14 cougars in 2022, I personally think odfw is underestimating the number of adults. I see alot of good survival rate on kittens too
yeah, it doesnt seem like kitten mortality is high enough if the total population is increasing.

Whats the best way for a total beginner to hunt cougars here, legally?

yeah, it doesnt seem like kitten mortality is high enough if the total population is increasing.

Whats the best way for a total beginner to hunt cougars here, legally?
Find there kill and sit on it. I've had them come back to there kill up to 5 days this time of the year. Summer time normally 2 feedings. Calling can be productive also and running a bait station works well too. Beaver is the bait of choice

Find there kill and sit on it. I've had them come back to there kill up to 5 days this time of the year. Summer time normally 2 feedings. Calling can be productive also and running a bait station works well too. Beaver is the bait of choice
finding a cougar kill sounds as difficult as finding a cougar. Especially in the coast range where I could hunt them any given weekend. I think I found a kill in an Eastern Oregon elk hunt 2 seasons ago, but it wasnt buried but scattered... (could have been a wolf kill). Ive never specifically looked for them though.
If you have a call to recommend I might be into buying one. And how long do you call for in one spot?

I use a hand call called a critter call. I would make a long set, probably a hour. When we have a fresh snow I'd drive roads tell I cut a fresh track then walk in on them and make a set
I'll check out the Critter Call thank you. I like the idea of a hand call as I cant afford an electronic call right now. I have a cheap one and not confident in it.

Ya I have a fox pro that i never use. All my coyote calling is done with the same call. 438.jpg

Ya I have a fox pro that i never use. All my coyote calling is done with the same call. View attachment 1341951
Ive heard Fox Pros were one of the best electronic calls. I bought a very cheap (50 bucks) handheld electronic call a year ago when a cat showed up on my trailcam. I tried it last season when the hunting was so slow I lost confidence Id see any deer. I didnt know what I was doing though, and doesnt sound like I was calling long enough, if the call was authentic.
Its interesting that your coyote call brings in the cats...

Bears, cougars, bobcats, fox, coyotes, deer and elk. Almost been ran over a few times by cow elk. One of my biggest blacktail was taken while calling coyotes. The doe that he was following came to see what all the noise was

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews