JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My issue is not with your standpoint, or disagreeing with open carry.

It is with your bubblegumty attitude towards fellow gun owners.

And I am not confusing open carry with those events. I'm confusing in-your-face politics that DONT work, with those in-your-face politics that DID work. Think about if everyone open carried. If EVERYONE just started open carrying. At all times. The public would simply have no choice but to accept it. In-your-face politics.

And I am not confusing open carry with those events. I'm confusing in-your-face politics that DONT work, with those in-your-face politics that DID work. Think about if everyone open carried. If EVERYONE just started open carrying. At all times. The public would simply have no choice but to accept it. In-your-face politics.

My attitude? Did I use foul language to make my point? It is about my disagreeing with those who want to force the issue of open carry. I don't believe that is is an important issue, I don't believe it is a good use of "in your face" politics, and I don't believe that it is being sensitive to our image. It isn't about being PC ( an over used term ) but about respect. Respect to others who perhaps on the fence about gun issues, about respect to those who fought long and hard to make Oregon a "shall issue" state, and respect to those business owners who wish not to have to deal with people who do not respect others.

I am interested in who actually started this Open Carry nonsense in the gun world. My guess is that it was most likely a person or persons who would like to see CHL disappear, some group with a anti-gun agenda, knowing that the "non" issue would be picked up by more radical gun aficionados and perhaps escalate. That is my guess. Until proven otherwise, I am going to believe that a vocal minority demanding open carry are just poor dupes in the anti-gunners agenda. It is too wide spread and quick growing to be otherwise.

Believe whatever you want.

But just because someone open carries does NOT mean they need their "Ego stroked". That is the attitude I am referring to. That you're so much better because you don't open carry. Because everything you do to promote firearms is better than someone who tries to open carry. That's piss poor, friend.

"If one is constantly feeling the need to demonstrate that he is a big boy with a gun, perhaps he really not ready for that responsibility."

"18 years of concealed carry has done me fine, brought others into the fold, and is less obtrusive. But my ego doesn't need the stroking that perhaps others do."

"I find it sad that what I and others have done in the last two decades can so easily be unhinged not by the antis, but those who feel the need to "kick it up another notch"

If anything, I think that statement is best aimed at yourself.

Maybe, but EVERYONE is not going to open carry, so the argument is moot. The realty is it serves no real purpose other than to possibly get the public to think those who carry shouldn't...open OR concealed. But whatever.
People can do it if they want as far as i am concerned. People also have a right to cuss, fart and spit in public. It is their RIGHT after all. Maybe if everyone did it, everyone would accept it? But i see no real purpose or good in it either. Some things are better done in private....including carrying.

I stick by my opinion. Did I say all who open carry are doing so to stroke their egos, not at all. But I do believe that many who do are doing so for that reason. I see no reason and am expressing my opinion just as you have been expressing yours. I am just able to do so without having a filter change out my words. Just doing something based on the reasoning that we have a right to do so isn't always the best thing, and yes, I think the best thing is to carry concealed. See ya later John Wayne

I also Wrote them this email

To whom is may concern:

My name is Wesley Slusser, I was recently shopping in one of your Stores (your Albany location) and I was Open carrying my firearm. I was told by one of your employees, (he was very nice and considerate) to remove my firearm, and to please put it in my car and then return to finish my shopping. I am curious as to what your policy is regarding this Issue, Open carry, as it is legal to do so the state of Oregon.

Thank you for you time on this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you.

sincerely

Wesley Slusser

Clean up some of these sentences, minor grammatical issues, and look into how you convey your message. I would recommend rewriting many of the sentences, as they tend to run on. May I suggest reading up on "Monroe's motivated sequence," to develop your message effectiveness.

Here is an article you may have an interest in.

http://www.writinghelp-central.com/article-complaint-letter.html

CCW is better ...Don

Well, sometimes flexing your legal rights is a good thing. Just because you say that it's "better," doesn't mean it should be illegal.

I agree CCW is better. Why advertise to the bad guys that you're armed? you've lost the element of surprise and you surely will be the first target of an armed assailant. Keep it hidden and nobody's the wiser
My 2c

I'll agree CCW is alot better in certian areas but I think OC Is ok in Certain places as well.. I guess I like OC Better cause I dont have Many Clothes that allow me to CCW. But I have Been Buying more button up shirts and summer clothes that accommodate my CCW

oc! to my understanding a lot of the backing that went into the fight for this law, or issue,( if you want to call it that) is a lot of travelers that were stopping in the rest areas,or had experianced a breakdown on the road, with their family, and rv's,or just being around the general public, often felt threatened by passerbys or people just screwing with them,OC , kinda give them the upper hand , an lets take into point that with OC, you don't have to have a permit, but CC you do, and lets take into account that our 2nd ammendment gives us the right to bare arms in case of an unruley goverment, not to look baaaaad walking around in bi-mart, and oregon state gave us the BASIC RULE , for speed limets,but we keep screwing with that one, and watch it dissapear, this is only my opinion, but i do find it easier in life, to understand !! , then to be understood, nuff said,rusobr2

Just for me, (and I'm not expecting anyone to agree,) I don't open carry unless I'm in the woods.

There are many anti-gun people, and I see no reason to get "in their face" about it. Why antagonize them or remind them that people carry, or even have guns?

About the store's corporate policy; I think it's irrelevant. I'm betting that even if they have a corporate policy stating it's OK for you to OC, (or don't have one saying that it isn't) that the local manager could still get you arrested for trespassing and make it stick. He might get in trouble with corporate, but at the moment the police arrive, he's the dude with the authority on the property. Corporate most likely would back him, because they sure don't want to get sued for false arrest. They do have the right to tell you to leave, policy or no.

Corporate policy isn't a law. The right of the property owner or his agent to tell you to leave is the law.

$.02

I'm not a lawyer.

I have had the OC discussion with many LEO, and professional legal individuals.

As far as I have been told and understand, they cannot kick you out for open carry UNLESS they have a sign posted that says, 'No open carry permitted' or something to that effect.

I may be wrong.

I live in Washington and I got my CWP a couple months after turning 21. I turned 40 in March. I've been doing this for 19 years now and just in the last few months I have been OCing ALOT! Due to the warmer weather I find it to be more comfortable. I have not had one single person make a negative comment to me about it. I have noticed some second looks and sideways glances. I just smile and say hello. I agree with the comment that more people should OC. Will everyone, probably not. Should more of us, I think so. If you just go about your business and don't make it an issue then no one else will.

I have gotten many possative comments, the funniest of them was when I went to the dump. The guy next to me says, "I bet no one tries to steal your garbage!" As we unloaded our vehicles we had a good conversation about gun ownership. He said that he has been thinking of getting a CWP and I encouraged him to do so and explained my reasoning to him. If I had not been OCing I don't think I would have had the opportunity to have that conversation and hopefully bring another into the ranks.

Do what you are comfortable with but dont look down on others that choice the other option.

Did you ever get a reply to the email? I have used that email address with concerns about customer service at the firearms department in a particular store (two clerks walked past me more than once while I was standing there at the ammo counter for about 20 minutes). I did get a reply reasonably quick and the matter was resolved (at that time). The person asked for my phone number so the manager of the store could call me.

Nothing wrong with OC. I further more agree that people need to be deprogramed from the idea that the gun is the devil and that people that own them are crazy dangerous people.

That said if somebody asked you to leave their buisness with your gun you should comply politely.

As far as I have been told and understand, they cannot kick you out for open carry UNLESS they have a sign posted that says, 'No open carry permitted' or something to that effect.

I may be wrong.

If only it were so... But it's not.

As many others have commented, the smart play when asked by a private business to leave is just to leave. If you want to make it a "learning moment" for the business owner, do it afterward when you are no longer armed.

You help us all by being polite; you make it tougher for us all if you are assertive.

I'm not a lawyer.

I have had the OC discussion with many LEO, and professional legal individuals.

I may be wrong.

On private property they can kick you out for anything they please an that is how it should be.

"Sorry sir but we don't allow people that wear striped shirts with plaid shorts"

On private property they can kick you out for anything they please an that is how it should be.

True, within certain limits. And that too is how it should be. ;)

I was at the Greenbrier resort one time many years ago, and they had a sign at the entrance to the lobby. "Proper Attire Required. Attractive Golf Sweaters Permitted." Made me wonder if the manager was scrutinizing fashion tastes and throwing people with ugly golf sweaters out. It beats the signs that used to appear all over the place, "Whites Only."

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews