JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Technically you were not kicked out you were asked to cover it if you had a jacket or something.

And IMO

out of courtesy when asked to put it away thats what you should have done and end of story not a big deal your rights were not being stepped on. You were stepping on their rights by disputing it. maybe i should park in your driveway and then when you tell me to leave i can tell you its legal and then write you a letter asking your policy about parking in your driveway.

most of us know that Bi mart is very 2nd amendment friendly they offer the best prices on ammo and $2 off at expo guns hows

A lot of sporting good stores when bringing in a rifle to have it bore sighted will have you leave it at front door counter and a employee takes it to the gun counter.

I know we have to stand up for our rights but we also have to respect others rights . We will be judged by how we conduct ourselves.

If you want to make it a "learning moment" for the business owner, do it afterward when you are no longer armed.

You help us all by being polite; you make it tougher for us all if you are assertive.

I agree in general with the point you make here about doing it after you are no longer armed, however I would like to say that if asked to leave you could say as nice as you can with a big smile on your face, "Would you like me to purchase what I came here to buy first or would you like me to leave right now?" By doing this you are informing him that he is about to lose your business at the moment. If he says that he would like you to leave right now, again be as nice as you can with an even bigger smile telling him, "I have really enjoyed shopping at your store in the past but it seems that I will have to take my business elsewhere from now on and I will be telling everyone I know to take their business elsewhere also. Have a great day!" Then leave. You have just informed him that he is about to lose ALOT of business. If he says that you can finish your shopping first then say, again with a big smile, "My right to carry a firearm is very important to me. In the future will I be welcome in your store with my firearm or should I take my business somewhere else, where they are understanding and supportive of my Constitutional rights?" Put it back on him to make a decision. If he says that you are not welcome with your firearm in the future then tell him, "Thank you for the wonderful shopping experiences in the past, but I'm going to take my business else where. I'll be sure to tell all my friends to do the same."

This is what I would do.

*disclaimer: what I am about to say is not meant toword any one person, it is only a general comment.

I am getting really tired of people not standing up for their rights and taking the easy way out of situations just because there might be some small risk of personal sacrifice. As with the example above, you can be assertive without being offensive. You don't have to tuck your tail and run just because someone confronts you. Another example that I read in another thread is when stopped by a LEO for a "courtesy check". When informed by a LEO that he is doing a "courtesy check" say to him, "Thank you for your concern, but everything is alright. May I go now?" If he asks to see your drivers license ask him, "Do you have cause for pulling me over, or may I go now?" The term "cause" is a legal term. You are putting the LEO on notice that you understand your rights. Of course he has no cause because he was doing a "courtesy check", if he had cause for pulling you over he would have stated so when he first started talking to you. If he wants to continue then ask for him to call his shift sargent to the location. One time I even asked the LEO if he was on duty. When he said yes, I asked him, "Are you supposed to be on fishing trips while on the clock or may I go now?" LMAO You should have seen his face! Then again I asked, "May I go now?" ALWAYS end your questions with "may I go now?".

This of course is only my opinion, however I refuse to have LEO's play games with me. If they have cause GREAT, if not, then leave me the **** alone!

Right now I'm only 20, and even though I have taken the CCW class, have the certificate and everything, I cannot apply for my license until I turn 21. I live in Tigard so this means I cannot open carry either, at least not around where I live. Every weekend, however, I go shooting at the CVSC range in Dundee. Usually I do not bother to remove my holsters if I want to grab lunch or supplies on the way there or back. Anyway, just putting the argument of convenience out there.

Additionally, I don't think the average criminal is going to touch a guy visibly carrying a gun. Remember that criminals are opportunists, not strategists. Why bother risking my life for the $20 in his wallet when I can just as easily mug this other unarmed guy? What if he's a plainclothes cop? Do I want to be a cop-killer too? The only time I can think of where the criminal would try and shoot you first is in the very rare case of a psycho mass shooter or something.

Once I do get my license I will probably CC during the week (school, work, places where I care more about getting kicked out) and OC on the weekend, shootin' range, out for food with friends, etc. At least occasionally anyway. I'm kind of interested to see how people react or if they even care at all. Final argument for OC that I think people have posted in here already is to just make people more aware that normal people have guns and they aren't something to be afraid of.

It is sometimes best to win a battle with understanding. Because we have a legal right to OC in public doesn't always mean that we should. It too often can be interpreted by non-gun owners as bullying or egotistical. I OC on occasion but I don't make it an issue, and I certainly don't OC if it puts people on edge. Conceal it, save the OC for the rural areas that have a better understanding. We will win by changing hearts one person at a time.

This is the best advice on open carry. Folks that open carry because the law says they can are usually just trying to make a point. "I open carry because I can...whether others like it or not."

When we have the option to conceal carry...I see no reason to open carry. Open carry intimidates a lot of people...to me it just sends the message...."neener, neener, neener."

Personally I feel Open carrying is actually the better option from a defensive stand point. It is much quicker to draw your weapon from an open carry belt holster then to have to dig it out of concealment. That is why I prefer open carry over concealed. It has nothing to do with "neener, neener, neener" as you said Weathertaker. This isn't the school yard play ground is it? :D

I agree in general with the point you make here about doing it after you are no longer armed, however I would like to say that if asked to leave you could say as nice as you can with a big smile on your face, "Would you like me to purchase what I came here to buy first or would you like me to leave right now?" By doing this you are informing him that he is about to lose your business at the moment. If he says that he would like you to leave right now, again be as nice as you can with an even bigger smile telling him, "I have really enjoyed shopping at your store in the past but it seems that I will have to take my business elsewhere from now on and I will be telling everyone I know to take their business elsewhere also. Have a great day!" Then leave. You have just informed him that he is about to lose ALOT of business. If he says that you can finish your shopping first then say, again with a big smile, "My right to carry a firearm is very important to me. In the future will I be welcome in your store with my firearm or should I take my business somewhere else, where they are understanding and supportive of my Constitutional rights?" Put it back on him to make a decision. If he says that you are not welcome with your firearm in the future then tell him, "Thank you for the wonderful shopping experiences in the past, but I'm going to take my business else where. I'll be sure to tell all my friends to do the same."

This is what I would do.

Sigh…Can you maybe think of someone other than yourself in this situation? Think about it. You’re some low level manager making a couple bucks over minimum wage. You’re stuck restocking the Sugar Smaks in the cereal isle on a nice day when along comes some shmuck with freakin gun on his belt. Customers are giving the OC dude funny looks and now as the manager, you have to go over to the guy and politely ask him to cover it up or take it outside because that’s your job. You do so and Mr. I Have a Point to Make smiles and makes you go through some long condescending bunch of BS that you just don’t care about. All you want to do is get the shift over as quickly as possible, but this guy wants you to get all worried about him taking all the freak business away. Get real.

You’re not standing up for anyone’s rights. All you’re doing is reinforcing the idea that people who have guns are jerks. In this case he would be right.

Just because you smile and are polite when you speak, does not mean you’re automatically nice and inoffensive. You’re just being a polite condescending a$$hole. Kinda like I’m being here. :winkkiss: See, polite, but not nice.

Sigh…Can you maybe think of someone other than yourself in this situation? Think about it. You’re some low level manager making a couple bucks over minimum wage. You’re stuck restocking the Sugar Smaks in the cereal isle on a nice day when along comes some shmuck with freakin gun on his belt. Customers are giving the OC dude funny looks and now as the manager, you have to go over to the guy and politely ask him to cover it up or take it outside because that’s your job. You do so and Mr. I Have a Point to Make smiles and makes you go through some long condescending bunch of BS that you just don’t care about. All you want to do is get the shift over as quickly as possible, but this guy wants you to get all worried about him taking all the freak business away. Get real.

You’re not standing up for anyone’s rights. All you’re doing is reinforcing the idea that people who have guns are jerks. In this case he would be right.

Just because you smile and are polite when you speak, does not mean you’re automatically nice and inoffensive. You’re just being a polite condescending a$$hole. Kinda like I’m being here. :winkkiss: See, polite, but not nice.

You sure are doing a lot of finger pointing, rushing to judgment and outright name calling. Just remember you don't speak for me, you only speak for you! ;)

It's entirely possible he is a nice guy that happens to open carry a gun and is not a:

"Selfish, shmuck, jerk, offensive, condescending, a$$hole"

You’re not standing up for anyone’s rights

Wrong! he is sticking up for his rights!

I've always been of the belief that once you make personal insults the remainder of your argument is pointless.

I have to admit, he's speaking for me too. If I saw anyone but a uniformed Police Officer, State Trooper, security guard, FBI Agent, etc. etc. open carrying in a public commerce space, I would wonder what the **** is wrong with them.

A big part of any "right" is having the common sense and prudence about exercising it.

I have to admit, he's speaking for me too. If I saw anyone but a uniformed Police Officer, State Trooper, security guard, FBI Agent, etc. etc. open carrying in a public commerce space, I would wonder what the **** is wrong with them.

A big part of any "right" is having the common sense and prudence about exercising it.

Common sense isn't the same as a social taboo. Just because our society is afraid to see guns, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person carrying. That very mindset is what is causing gun owners to only be on the defensive, which is causing us to lose all of our rights altogether.

I think the most productive thing that can be done with the right to open carry is not just to open carry, but to do trash pick-ups and other activities. It always has a positive response, even to the local news outlets, which makes the biggest difference.

Going against societal norms with no nefarious intent should not cause a reasonable person any concern. Nobody without the confidence should do it themselves. They definitely shouldn't berate the one who does though just because it doesn't fit in with their view of propriety.

Would you care to see my Penis?

Just because our society is afraid to see a penis, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person hanging out. That very mindset is what is causing nudists to only be on the defensive, which is causing us to lose all of our rights altogether.

I just feel more comfortable with my scrotum and penis out in the air.

Going against societal norms with no nefarious intent should not cause a reasonable person any concern. Nobody without the confidence should do it themselves. They definitely shouldn't berate the one who does though just because it doesn't fit in with their view of propriety.

Would you care to see my Penis?

Just because our society is afraid to see a penis, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person hanging out. That very mindset is what is causing nudists to only be on the defensive, which is causing us to lose all of our rights altogether.

I just feel more comfortable with my scrotum and penis out in the air.

That would be nefarious and criminal. Carrying a firearm is neither. Come up with a better argument, please.

Common sense isn't the same as a social taboo. Just because our society is afraid to see guns, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person carrying. That very mindset is what is causing gun owners to only be on the defensive, which is causing us to lose all of our rights altogether.
I agree with this but...
I think the most productive thing that can be done with the right to open carry is not just to open carry, but to do trash pick-ups and other activities. It always has a positive response, even to the local news outlets, which makes the biggest difference.
WTH is this? Poor people are bad but gun owners who carry are good? I'm sorry but that is flat psychotic!

As I've said several times in this thread. There is nothing wrong with open carrying and contrary to what some here seem to believe our society does need to see guns on good people. Unplug the entertainment news people that is programing you to think illogically.

Everybody here is a gun owner right. Are some of us bad because we choose to carry? Are only the ones that carry openly bad? Are we all psychotic because we own guns in the first place? The answer to all of those questions is clearly NO! Except for the fact that I'm sure we have at least one Psycho here because there really is one in every crowd (My sisters crazy for example)

Really! people do try to clear your mind of such nonsense, like people who carry are paranoid or on edge, **** they must be crazy!?!? These judgments are ridiculous.

I carry almost always and when people ask me why or attempt to tease me about it I struggle to explain to them that violent crimes happen everyday in the world and though the odd's are remote that somebody might try to victimize me, family, friends, or other wise good people It does indeed happen and I have no desire to be victimized or see somebody victimized. This is no way makes me paranoid, in fact it just means I'm realistic, love myself, family, friends, and value good people. But what do I know I do own an old pickup too so I guess I'm ignorant poor white trash right. You know a BAD GUY! Gee Wilikers Wally how'd i ever get a job at Intel in Hillsborro...

no need for a better argument. this could go on forever. I have no interest.

I enjoy firearms and reloading, and I practice my rights as a citizen in accordance with the law. I don't need to shove my business into everyone else's face, regardless of what the law says I can or cannot do.

I seek neither an identity nor approval, and see no reason to retract my earlier comments.

There are also Plain clothed officers as well.. I actually had a police officer ask me a few days ago while in line at a store what agency i worked for... lol... When I told him I was not a cop he just laughed and said oops. we chatted a bit about guns and people who open carried and wat he thought about the issue and then went out separate ways.

no need for a better argument. this could go on forever. I have no interest.

I enjoy firearms and reloading, and I practice my rights as a citizen in accordance with the law. I don't need to shove my business into everyone else's face, regardless of what the law says I can or cannot do.

I seek neither an identity nor approval, and see no reason to retract my earlier comments.

How can you compare exercising a right to doing something criminal?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top