JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
JAFO, please. From top to bottom, hunting to military, personal to political, it's all about power. Pretend it's not, if you like, but my guess is that you have a handgun or a rifle, and sleep better for it. The whole basis for the Second Amendment is power based.

Glockguy, what about you would make me feel good.... if I saw you in Bi-Mart with your gun on? How would I know just by looking that you are one of the good guys? Seriously, how would I know?
Is there something about you that would tell me to be at ease? To tell me that you had training, judgement, and a reason to have a firearm with you?
I would like you to tell me, and all of "us", why I should trust you to be carrying a firearm in your car, on your person, in a place of commerce, when I don't know you from Adam? In a place where almost everyone else is unarmed, why should I trust the only guy with a holster outside his pants?

At least a CC permit shows some training, a background check... open carry just shows that you somehow obtained a firearm and that you feel the need to wear it.

Now you're debating and that's a good thing! :s0155:

JAFO, please. From top to bottom, hunting to military, personal to political, it's all about power. Pretend it's not, if you like, but my guess is that you have a handgun or a rifle, and sleep better for it. The whole basis for the Second Amendment is power based.

Being able to defend oneself and wielding power are not the same thing. But you can go ahead and pretend they are. I hope you feel very powerful. Don't let fear run your life though. Let it make you aware.

Glockguy, what about you would make me feel good.... if I saw you in Bi-Mart with your gun on? How would I know just by looking that you are one of the good guys? Seriously, how would I know?
Is there something about you that would tell me to be at ease? To tell me that you had training, judgement, and a reason to have a firearm with you?
I would like you to tell me, and all of "us", why I should trust you to be carrying a firearm in your car, on your person, in a place of commerce, when I don't know you from Adam? In a place where almost everyone else is unarmed, why should I trust the only guy with a holster outside his pants?

At least a CC permit shows some training, a background check... open carry just shows that you somehow obtained a firearm and that you feel the need to wear it.

First of all, a person's ability to excerise their 2A rights (OC, CC, etc.) are not dependant on wether or not you (or anyone else) trust them or not, or if you "feel good" about it.

Secondly, the way I see it, "bad guys" generally wouldn't carry openly anyway... the key to their success is the secrecy of their moves and motives... else they get thwarted in their endeavors.

Thirdly, I agree with you (to some extent) on excerising some decorum with OC... there is a time and place for everything, and I know that can be subjective. I wouldn't (for instance) open carry if I was going to be in the middle of a group of small children in any sort of setting... it would be a distraction (unless it was teaching them about weapon saftey), and I wouldn't OC (usually) in church either out of respect for keeping a peaceful environment to worship. I guess the bottom line is, "proper decorum" is dictated by any particular society you find yourself in... kinda like "sticking out your pinky when you drink from a tea cup", sort of thing.

Im sure you drive a car... Im sure you have a license to drive that car.. Soo that must mean you are Properly Trained how to operate that Vehicle correct.. So we are all to assume you never speed... Never break the law.. You dont Tail gate... you obey every law, correct? How many People do you hear about Dying every day in some sort of vehicle related accident? I know Iv heard of at least 3 or 4 a week... When We get our licenses we are required to read a book take a test and Pass a driving test.. But yet we Still hear about all these impatient and careless drivers that still cause people to die everyday.. and your right if you look at me and saw me OCing how would you know I had proper training? you wouldn't you would assume I did because i have taken the responsibility of carrying a fire arm.. just as you do when stepping behind the wheel of your car. Iv have trained with law enforcement officers on how to use my handgun properly in all different kinds of situations, but none of you would know that by just looking at me. But then again.. I wouldn't know you had a license to drive just because you are behind the wheel of a car. But Since you are taking the responsibility of getting behind the wheel, that means you are willing to take your life and everyone else's life on the road in your hands. Which is something billions of people in the world do each day. So I would assume the same. If i saw someone Open carrying a handgun. that they are properly trained and know how to use their weapon, and is willing to use that weapon when in time of need.

Maybe you should go buy a hot wheels car and put it in your pocket, that way we all know you have the proper training and a license to drive it... cause driving a car just shows that you somehow obtained a vehicle and that you feel the need to drive it.

J

Well, for one............It would still be in his holster and NOT pointed at YOU.

You may want to avoid the Dockside Saloon on Front Ave in Portland. I see people OC in there all the time............It's a bar...........

Sure, it was not ever late at night, and sure, they could have been cops/FBI/ATF..............I don't know, they looked similar to the guys I was drinking beers with at the time.
No uniform or badge showing.

I usually go to bed early, so I only drink during Happy Hour.

Well, maybe a little beyond:s0114:

I don't think it is unreasonable to say there may be some situations where OC is not appropriate. However, like most things we free humans have different views on what is appropriate and therein lies the rub. We all have the right to free speech but we pick and choose when we use it. Similarly with OC. We do indeed have that right but is it always appropriate? That's all speelyei is saying as I read it.

Should I OC when I'm coaching youth sports? Guessing not a good idea. Can you imagine the uproar? Should I wear Speedos to a wedding? I can but is it appropriate? Some simply don't like to be told they can't do something and that is a different thing altogether but I sense that is part of the outrage here.

The fact is it is unusual to see gun toting citizens and definitely more so in certain settings. Until that changes there are going to be conflicts, even among 2A believers. Doesn't mean anyone is a traitor, means they have their own opinion. I would hope people form their own opinions, have the ability to understand a situation and don't blindly follow an ideology.

Now if your opinion is that you need to carry whenever you want to carry and damn the torpedos, fine. I might not agree, might think you're exercising poor judgment. But damn if it doesn't matter what I think. You have that right just like those guys who do wear plaid pants.

I wish ALL citizens could get to the point where they believed there were inappropriate places to OC (besides everywhere like the antis). This to me implies the opposite is also true. That OC IS appropriate, or not unusual, as people go about their daily lives except in certain situations, like many of the things we do.

Would you care to see my Penis?

Just because our society is afraid to see a penis, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person hanging out. That very mindset is what is causing nudists to only be on the defensive, which is causing us to lose all of our rights altogether.

I just feel more comfortable with my scrotum and penis out in the air.

Going against societal norms with no nefarious intent should not cause a reasonable person any concern. Nobody without the confidence should do it themselves. They definitely shouldn't berate the one who does though just because it doesn't fit in with their view of propriety.

I actually agree with this, especially on these hot summer days. I got nothing to hide, I'm quite proud of my manly bits and who knows... maybe some cute girls will like what they see. Pants are for the weak! :D Don't be prudes!

I don't think it is unreasonable to say there may be some situations where OC is not appropriate. However, like most things we free humans have different views on what is appropriate and therein lies the rub. We all have the right to free speech but we pick and choose when we use it. Similarly with OC. We do indeed have that right but is it always appropriate? That's all speelyei is saying as I read it.

This is a good point. For me, I would find it inappropriate to OC when at work or when I'm trying to look professional. But if I'm just hanging out on the weekend, it doesn't matter as much what other people think so I'd rather choose the more comfortable option. I'm not a big fan of pocket guns, and I'd rather OC a fullsize CZ-75 than CC a kel-tec. Also I think if you dress nicely with a collared shirt and are clean-shaven most people will just assume you are a plainclothes cop as other people have noted in here. Also, OC should definitely be fine when I'm out hiking on one of the many trails scattered throughout the state.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top