JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like criminals aren't following the laws - I thought SBR's weren't allowed in WA state? :rolleyes:

I'm confused as to how this could happen. :confused:

I'm positive it happened because firearms aren't illegal in the entire state. It's these loopholes that allow these illegal SBRs to be imported from other areas. We must close the SBR loophole. :rolleyes:

I'm positive it happened because firearms aren't illegal in the entire state. It's these loopholes that allow these illegal SBRs to be imported from other areas. We must close the SBR loophole. :rolleyes:

UUUMMM SBR is ILLEGAL in ALL of WA.........

Of course there are a few that were grandfathered in from prior to 1994.

I think you guys might be taking the description too literally - a "short barreled rifle with a pistol grip" doesn't necessarily imply the legal definition of an SBR i.e. an NFA gun.

How is a "short barreled rifle" not a short barreled rifle?

Just because the press calls it a short barreled rifle....It might be legal under the law, but to a reporter, it might "look" short...for example, I think the M4 has a short barrel. It isn't legally an SBR, but that puppy is shorter than I would like in a rifle. (I'm a Luddite and like the A1 series)....

Anyway, it might be a perception thing with the press (like "assault" rifles, Saturday night specials, etc).

Just like every gun in the news is either an AK-47 or a Glock.

It was probably a Ruger Charger?

How did the reporter miss working in the word assault? I was expecting to read the guy had a short barrel AK-47 assault rifle/weapon made by Ruger.

I heard the SPD spokesman on NPR yesterday say it was a Mini-14. So, I take it that 'short-barreled rifle' is the new boogey-man to under-educated journalists.

Accordng to the story he gave apparently gave little to no resistance, and he told the LEO's what he had without too much prodding.
IF I was a felon, I think telling the cops I had a gun on my possession would be the last thing I'd ever do.

Maybe he was tired of trying to live on his own with the felony record, or possibly was unable to get work or find a stable place to live.
Maybe he intentionally committed another felony just so he could be sent back to prison.
Some felons seem to find life inside a better arrangement than living on the outside.
Just another side thought of the wonderment of it all.

The others mentioned in the article that were arrested didn't put up much resistance either.
Seems pretty strange to me, but crazier things have happened.

GQ

As others have stated this is a description offered by the press - who are often not experts on gun laws.
The gun in question may or may not meet the legal definition for an SBR, I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume as much from the very limited information present in this article.

journalists-guide-to-guns-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads