JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone! I'm new here so forgive me, hell Im from California so y'all may not even have the answer. So here's the background, I am 20 years old and a service member in the USMC. I am currently building my first Ar15 which is legal for me to have. But the issue I've run into is that I can not legally buy an individual complete lower for fear of "turning it into a pistol" yet I am completely capable of buying an entire rifle. So my question is, should I ask my friends father Who has his own FFL to buy and "gift" me the lower? And what might be the hoops I'll be making him jump through for this? I don't want to put him on caution for me, he's a police officer with more on the line here.
Sincerely,
one poor sap living in liberal California.

Hello everyone! I'm new here so forgive me, hell Im from California so y'all may not even have the answer. So here's the background, I am 20 years old and a service member in the USMC. I am currently building my first Ar15 which is legal for me to have. But the issue I've run into is that I can not legally buy an individual complete lower for fear of "turning it into a pistol" yet I am completely capable of buying an entire rifle. So my question is, should I ask my friends father Who has his own FFL to buy and "gift" me the lower? And what might be the hoops I'll be making him jump through for this? I don't want to put him on caution for me, he's a police officer with more on the line here.
Sincerely,
one poor sap living in liberal California.

2 things: 1. Do not volunteer, 2 CYA.

You have access to legal services, make use of them. There are more questions you will have on the law.

(sorry, I have no known family who served in the Corps. None the less, Semper Fi )

Where are you stationed? If you're in 29 palms there is a gun store right outside the gate that will sell stripped lowers. He's a former LEO I believe.

Stripped lower is treated like a pistol under federal law, no one under 21 can buy one.
Even if you were "gifted" one, I don't beleive youd be able to have it xfered to you.

Either buy a complete "rifle" lower, or go 80%.

Yeah I thought about that, I DO have an 80% but it was sort of a scrap piece to practice milling it out. I'm looking to buy a lower from SharpsBros for my specific build.
Well. You are sort of out of options really. Being with your age and California law. In fact I don't even believe 80% is a good route to take in your state anymore as you are required by law to submit for a serial number to make it into a gun. Not that that law is being taken very seriously, but they appear to be using it to hurt lawful citizens.

Isn't a stripped lower considered "other" on the 4473? It is neither a pistol nor a rifle.

Just curious.

Call this shop. They will be able to answer your questions. He's a straight shooter and knows the laws. He will give you your options. Shoot me a PM if you want.

D7A1702B-1A39-4ADE-8895-FCFD0FC92F6B.png

There a few good dealers in Cali. If you were an MP it would be even better cause you would have federal LEO cress. Then you can conceal carry in Cali once you're 21 under HR218.

You can actually carry in all 50 states as long as you hold the credentials.

There a few good dealers in Cali. If you were an MP it would be even better cause you would have federal LEO cress. Then you can conceal carry in Cali once you're 21 under HR218.
I doubt he has the required years if he is 20.

Also in California no lowers are sold as "other" in the state's DROS system, they are transferred as rifle receivers under the state's software unless the person is roster-exempt. Franklin Armory is going to sue in March to change the Cal DoJ's software because it does not adhere to California law.
As far as being under 21, if you get a hunting license then California's under-21 rifle ban does not apply so you could buy a featureless or fixed magazine rifle. Also, read the ATF's guide for service member residency. Depending on your details (HOR in the DoD DEERS system, tax return filings, driver's license, voting registration) you might be a resident of your last state and might be able to legally buy a gun there. That does not mean you could necessarily bring it to California though.
California's gun laws are very complex, so don't expect FFLs to have the correct answers. Go to your base's legal assistance office instead of accepting legal advice from an FFL.

I doubt he has the required years if he is 20.

Also in California no lowers are sold as "other" in the state's DROS system, they are transferred as rifle receivers under the state's software unless the person is roster-exempt. Franklin Armory is going to sue in March to change the Cal DoJ's software because it does not adhere to California law.
As far as being under 21, if you get a hunting license then California's under-21 rifle ban does not apply so you could buy a featureless or fixed magazine rifle. Also, read the ATF's guide for service member residency. Depending on your details (HOR in the DoD DEERS system, tax return filings, driver's license, voting registration) you might be a resident of your last state and might be able to legally buy a gun there. That does not mean you could necessarily bring it to California though.
California's gun laws are very complex, so don't expect FFLs to have the correct answers. Go to your base's legal assistance office instead of accepting legal advice from an FFL.
like I said in my statement. Once he is 21.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top