JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watch the History Channel's "Alone" series... pretty impressive what survivors can do with a tarp and some branches!!
Yeah, i've watched the 1st season so far... some good ideas, some bad ideas...

Is it sound proof? I snore. Dead giveaway.
Hahahahahahaha I doubt it :rolleyes: might make people think a Sasquatch is sleeping nearby :p

Yeah, i've watched the 1st season so far... some good ideas, some bad ideas...

It gets better... some folks want to be out of the rain and off the ground, with shelter for their cooking fire, others just seem lazy. Later when they are starving, they won't have the energy to improve the way they live.

It gets better... some folks want to be out of the rain and off the ground, with shelter for their cooking fire, others just seem lazy. Later when they are starving, they won't have the energy to improve the way they live.
I was surprised that the guy who seemed to thrive, quit before the other two... the one who made a canoe, a yurt, a string instrument, traveled the most.. comparatively.

I was surprised that the guy who seemed to thrive, quit before the other two... the one who made a canoe, a yurt, a string instrument, traveled the most.. comparatively.

I thought that guy would win... but then he just suddenly decided he had done everything he wanted to do. The one that got me was the guy that quit right away because of the bears... tooooooo funny!

I thought that guy would win... but then he just suddenly decided he had done everything he wanted to do. The one that got me was the guy that quit right away because of the bears... tooooooo funny!
Yeah
.. wasnt he a cop from California? :rolleyes:

The others... I can sort of understand.. especially the guy who quit when he lost his firesteel but.. thats why ya have back ups or know what flint looks like... guy who quit because of mountain lion or bear being right in his camp... he shouldve moved and looked for a different camp site.... the one whose mother had cancer... I do totally get. What if she pass away and hes not there w his family... that gets real hard.
The guy who got sick because he didnt boil his water.. and only filtered through sghygum(spelling?) Moss... well.. I'm honestly surprised he didn't boil the water anyhow :confused: what surprised me was how long the kid stayed.... even though he practically wasted away and should have quit earlier for his health....

It did make me seriously reconsider some of my priorities regarding equipment and shelter for such situations.

My next shelter project? Not sure yet. I have 9 yards of approx 58" wide 1.1oz Silicon coated polyester (no stretch, good UV protection) in a rather bright green woodland patterned fabric... I could make a large 7ft ish by 7.5ft by 6 ft 9 inches height pyramid shelter, again floor less, or an even bigger hammock shelter using the Winter Hammock Tarp plan... (approx 13 ft roof line A frame).. or two much smaller shelter tarps.. but again, I'm not sure. The fabric was a one time production from Ripstop By The Roll...

Edit: on 2nd thought... I just did a graph paper mapping of something.. with 9 yards of 5 ft wide fabric, I can make a 6 sided pyramid/teepee with a slant height of between 8 and 9 feet, depending on if I wanna do peak vents or not.. and a base height of between 7 ft and 7 ft 10 inches... with a long diagonal measurement of almost 10 feet... it basically would be a circle 10 ft in diameter around a regular hexagon. Basically a very tall pyramid. Probably could sleep more than 2 people... I'll have to see what materials I have for the reinforcement of the center pole.. which likely would be either the aluminum poles or a single steel pole.. I have used wide webbing pockets for pole supports before, that may be a better idea.. also likely need to get noseeum mesh for the peak vents too. Debating on if I want to have space for a stove jack or not... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
what surprised me was how long the kid stayed.... even though he practically wasted away and should have quit earlier for his health....

He wasn't my favorite guy... it's hard to remember after having watched all four seasons, but I do remember thinking he was kind of a snot or something, anyway not liking him.

He wasn't my favorite guy... it's hard to remember after having watched all four seasons, but I do remember thinking he was kind of a snot or something, anyway not liking him.
Its the kid who brought a bow and some arrows... and howled w the wolves... and complained about not being able to fish... when he could have moved his camp to a better location...I'm starting on the 2nd season though. Been reconsidering what to do with the 9 yards of the green woodland camo 1.1oz silpoly fabric from Ripstop By The Roll, it was an one time production run... no longer available from them in this color of camo unfortunately. Do I use as much of it up in one freaking huge tent/shelter, or do I make more than 1 tarp/shelter?

So I acquired the tent pole pieces needed for the USGI inverted V..turns out they're STILL too short (by 5-6 inches per side) for the main peak :oops:. Whoops. Used it on the back, to pull out the center loop to make more room, and used a steel tarp pole on the main peak, even though its canted; it works to give me maximum space inside.
Uses 8 to 9 stakes (9th stake for the doors); 2 long pieces of paracord. I am thinking maybe I should make shock cord loops for each tie out; so that I can put the L stakes in without worrying about them rotating and losing the hold.... obviously a quick set up here. I guess I should look into finding good collapsible tarp poles that's not a bright color or shiny. DSCF2120.JPG DSCF2121.JPG DSCF2122.JPG DSCF2123.JPG DSCF2124.JPG DSCF2125.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top