JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you seriously considering putting in a fallout shelter?

• Considering? Done already! I don't care how "modern" your house is, get to your shelter ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh hell ya I am. Advanced plans underway. Where's my shovel ...

• Yes, but progress is slow. Getting there.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Eh, cross my mind, but not so sure.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nope.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • No and totally unnecessary.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • (Burp!) Muh outhouse iz gud containment sis-em...

• There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
It's kinda funny. Do you think you will be warned that in 20 minutes a nuclear warhead is headed your way?o_O

Are folks going to move into their fallout shelters since there won't be any warning?

If government wanted you to live then they would have a plan for your survival, the government has a plan for its survival.

If you live that close to ground zero - yeah, nothing short of moving away is going to help.

Otherwise, people have survived nukes and lived on for decades.
John Wayne and another 90 people on the set of The Conqueror lasted nearly 20 years, but they were over 100 miles from the detonation.

John Wayne and another 90 people on the set of The Conqueror lasted nearly 20 years, but they were over 100 miles from the detonation.
I would be lucky to survive another 20 years from now without any nukes.

One way I look at it is if I find survival after a nuke so intolerable, I can just take an overdose of my muscle relaxants.

Not preparing to survive without knowing if survival is tolerable or not, seems silly to me.

I would be lucky to survive another 20 years from now without any nukes.

One way I look at it is if I find survival after a nuke so intolerable, I can just take an overdose of my muscle relaxants.

Not preparing to survive without knowing if survival is tolerable or not, seems silly to me.
Spending a lot of my limited lifespan and money on unlikely doomsday scenarios seems silly to me.

But if building bomb shelters and vacuum packing beans is a hobby that gives you satisfaction - by all means.

Spending a lot of my limited lifespan and money on unlikely doomsday scenarios seems silly to me.
True, but I would not be prepping just for one unlikely scenario, I would be building a "safe room"/gun room/root cellar/etc. - adding on some extra effort/expense to make it more survivable IF a nuke happened to hit the PNW. I.E., the plan is to have this room there even if all nukes disappeared from the earth right now.

OTOH, I have a question for those that infer/imply/assert that they don't want to survive a nuclear war; what are you going to do if we have a nuke war? Immediately commit suicide when the TV broadcasts a warning to take shelter? Wait for it to happen and then commit suicide shortly thereafter? Sit it out and see what happens?

I am betting most will try to survive regardless of what they think they might do at this moment.

True, but I would not be prepping just for one unlikely scenario, I would be building a "safe room"/gun room/root cellar/etc. - adding on some extra effort/expense to make it more survivable IF a nuke happened to hit the PNW. I.E., the plan is to have this room there even if all nukes disappeared from the earth right now.

OTOH, I have a question for those that infer/imply/assert that they don't want to survive a nuclear war; what are you going to do if we have a nuke war? Immediately commit suicide when the TV broadcasts a warning to take shelter? Wait for it to happen and then commit suicide shortly thereafter? Sit it out and see what happens?

I am betting most will try to survive regardless of what they think they might do at this moment.
Well, I'm not going to move out of a place I like to live just in case it is inside the blast or fallout radius of a hypothetical nuclear weapon. Nor am I going to restrict my movements to only as far as I can walk back to my cache of supplies/shelter.

It isn't that I don't want to survive a nuclear war - I'm making the point that no one is likely to survive a nuclear war, and the only difference is if you survive for a second or a year. Most of the ways to die afterwards are painful and heartbreaking.

Luckily, the likelihood of a nuclear war are so low that I really don't have to waste any processor time pre-planning my demise.

What always blows me away when I read forums like this is the obsession with survival of science fiction-y situations by people that have so little belief in science that they actively engage in the breeding of increasingly deadly viruses. Why not just decide that radiation is a leftist conspiracy? That's more convenient.

No need for a fallout shelter. When they tore down my old grade school I bought one of my old desks and will simply dive under it like they taught me all those years ago.

And now my real answer: If your area gets nuked you are going to die. If not instantaneously then by radiation sickness. A fallout shelter only puts off a lingering death due to starvation even if you avoid the radiation. It's basically a snooze button.

I think it was about 73 or 74 where my dad scared the living daylights out of me by talking to his friend about the reversal of the magnetic poles and how he was thousands of years overdue. From what I can remember that disaster of the day scenario was supposed to happen at almost any moment and would result in the earth mediately stopping and then reversing rotation flinging everything across the room to smash into the wall. Of course that was before I discovered that the world was shaped like a record and not a ball so, that took a lot of the stress away of it but anyway, the point is I've lived through enough of these in the world is ending storylines to not really be worried about nukes at this point

My wife has been looking to move out of the city. Son has been pitching a premade shelter that is a converted container that is easily dug and emplaced. Wife is leaning to it, you can use it as a root cellar as well. Being inside of the city, I feel that a fallout shelter would be useless here.

It looked like a good value. A quick search on "premade or prefab fallout shelter" should get you lots of different ones to view. You can spend a lot of $, but it's likely that even a 4" blast door will fail in a near hit. So could be a good thing for a country living group. Predicting what type and size of munitions will head our way is next to impossible, if enough missiles fly, everyone on the planet will literally all be dead, some sooner, most later.

Last Edited:
I have read a few stories about iodine being hoarded in European countries because of concerns regarding possible radiation fallout..
This will probably be the next hand-sanitizer / paper towel type shortage in the U.S.

I have no plans to move away at this time. The entire Puget Region are all primary targets so if we survive the nuclear blast we probably die from radioactive fallout. Not sure what Russia and China are planning but Cascadia Subduction Zone might be a target and there is also the Yellowstone super volcano. Probably will not nuke Yellowstone but if they succeed in making super volcano erupt it will create a huge ash cloud that will surround the earth for years.

No. My closest neighbor is half a mile away and even if a city in Central Oregon is hit, I'll be far from the blast zone. I'll deal with fallout as necessary. Chances are so slim that I'd be better off planning for the eventual lotto winnings.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top