JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem is that so far, I haven't read or heard of any companies claiming the balloons and objects and suing the US DOD for the shoot downs?
Perhaps they don't want to get a bill for $800k in missiles + fuel, + tanker, + time, plus ? from the feds.

Honestly it could be just some hobbyist balloon(s) that got away from him and he wrote it off and just let it go. People build crazy flying stuff all the time. We used to fill balloons as a kid with acetylene and light the strings on fire and let them go. Boom! Or could be some outfit doing atmospheric research. Who knows.

Perhaps they don't want to get a bill for $800k in missiles + fuel, + tanker, + time, plus ? from the feds.

Honestly it could be just some hobbyist balloon(s) that got away from him and he wrote it off and just let it go. People build crazy flying stuff all the time. We used to fill balloons as a kid with acetylene and light the strings on fire and let them go. Boom! Or could be some outfit doing atmospheric research. Who knows.
Maybe some super-high altitude test balloon did its thing and then eventually started descending. They could come down anywhere.

Maybe some super-high altitude test balloon did its thing and then eventually started descending. They could come down anywhere.
Russia apparently has a balloon facility on the Kamchatka peninsula. The photos of that site on internet look like traditional weather balloons though. Who knows what kinds of things people send up there, whether private individuals, companies, scientific organizations, or countries. Need a simple anti-ballon drone and shoot them all down. I'm surprised they didn't use a predator drone or something actually.

Last Edited:
Wonder how much it cost to build a device similar to what was hanging underneath the balloon.... not sure of the other objects if they aren't balloons?

Fairly sure that the technology and hardware were not cheap consumer grade equipment... especially if the Intelligence Community says that the first device was sending signals of sorts as well as having some specific signatures?

How long before we're asking Zelensky for some of our missiles back?

"Holy crap! 99 RED balloons?! CHINA IS ATTACKING!!!" - President Squirrelhead Kidsniffer von Poopypants

Wonder how much it cost to build a device similar to what was hanging underneath the balloon.... not sure of the other objects if they aren't balloons?

Fairly sure that the technology and hardware were not cheap consumer grade equipment... especially if the Intelligence Community says that the first device was sending signals of sorts as well as having some specific signatures?
Not talking about the Chinese balloon, only the other reported one with string hanging down but nothing attached. Not enough info to tel much of anything (except pilot descriptions posted above).

Need a simple anti-ballon drone and shoot them all down. I'm surprised they didn't use a predator drone or something actually.
Fulton recovery rig repurposed to capture balloons? May as well, recover potential intelligence and confiscate things... :rolleyes: I mean, it IS this government's thing... to threaten confiscation of private personal property and devices... in addition to Eminent Domain :rolleyes:

Fulton recovery rig repurposed to capture balloons? May as well, recover potential intelligence and confiscate things... :rolleyes: I mean, it IS this government's thing... to threaten confiscation of private personal property and devices... in addition to Eminent Domain :rolleyes:

Change the rules of Punkin Chunkin to include altitude and accuracy.

Repurpose Lawn Darts as ammo for rail guns.

A couple well funded examples. I wonder how many community colleges or engineering tech colleges have launched stuff in the air? Or rocketry/other hobby groups? Or individuals? I saw on eBay or Amazon (can't recall) a Mylar metallic ballon the size of a car for $239.

Here is a replica of a car that's a balloon.

Last Edited:
_nc_ohc=izg5YF07g-wAX_9SB39&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

So it's looking like we've spent millions shooting down used car lot balloons and the like over the past week and a half?

Oh well… I guess it's still a more prudent use of resources than Ukraine.

AAAA7FC0-C72C-4555-AC07-999FBE2E483E.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR