JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some might remember - I'm on a personal quest to shed pounds and inches doing high protein low carb eating. I've lost over 10lbs so far (not great, but not bad) and I've been slowly phasing some carbs back into my diet to avoid binge eating on them. I'm still limiting the carb intake pretty well but allow myself whole grain bread on a sandwhich, and certain fruits. Doing my research into how to change my eating habits I've been blasted from many directions with "oatmeal" - it's supposed to be a wonderful food that's got good protien, complex carbs vs. simple carbs, and is touted by everyone to be great for shedding fat and adding muscle. I've had dieticians tell me I should be eating the stuff daily, body builders saying the same, and of course The Internets sings the praise of oatmeal heartily.

I've never been a huge fan - except for oatmeal cookies, or oatmeal sprinkled on good bread. They tried making me eat oatmeal as a kid and it was a food that tested me resolve and the nerves of my parental figures. They might have gotten me to choke down half a bowl of the stuff once a year as a gesture of good faith...

I've watched videos and read recipes for making "good oatmeal" but it all tastes the same - bland, boring, and a bit gross.

I don't drink milk - haven't been able to drink liquid milk since I was 5. It's not lactose intolerance per se - I can eat the bejesus out of cheese and ice cream, but plain liquid milk comes back up in curdled form almost as soon as it touches my lips. So the recipes that call for adding milk are out.

Likewise - there's fruits I just cannot stand the taste or texture of - bananas, raisins, dates, peaches, plums... and these seem to be staples in most oatmeal concoctions.

I'm trying not to eat much in the way of simple sugars - so the only way I could choke the stuff down in it's cereal form before is out (heavy on brown sugar, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and light on actual oatmeal)

I have come up with one way that ain't too bad - it's still not great from a taste perspective but I was able to eat a bowl without wishing for a quick painless death.

Instead of doing the boiling water soak method - I decided to try an oatmeal pilaf, as it were.

I toasted two handfuls (prob half a cup) of oats in butter in the skillet until they browned, then added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, two pinches of nutmeg, half a teaspoon of ground ginger and stirred it in, toasting for a minute longer. Then I added a cup of hot water, covered and let it simmer for ten minutes. When it was puffy I drained the excess liquid, toasted it again for a minute, then transferred to a bowl. I added half a chopped honeycrisp apple, and a drizzle of raw honey over it. I realize the last two items are simple sugar forms - but I was at my wits end on how to consume this stuff. The apple and honey at least offer other nutritional value compared to white or brown sugar. I'm probably going to Atkins hell for it though.

There's got to be other ways to eat oatmeal that aren't horribly bland, horribly mushy textured, or smothered in sugary goodness. Does anyone have any suggestions that exclude the foods I listed above that I can't eat?

I even tried just eating a handful of dry, raw oats yesterday and after washing it down with half a liter of water, I was about to embrace the sugary hands of early onset diabetes and heart disease thinking about this being the way to eat breakfast from now on. Super food or not - there's got to be a better way to eat this stuff.

I eat steel cut oats from Bob's Red Mill, got a huge bag of them from Costco. While at Costco buy one of the big boxes of Almond Milk. I cook the oat using the boiling method. Once its down to the consistency that I like I take them off the stove and add the almond milk. Since you don't like normal oatmeal fixings try freezes dried strawberries or apples. Costco again has a bunch of dehydrated fruit, cherries, blue berries and Strawberries that would go well with that ever choice of sweetener you choose.

I eat a lot of oatmeal. I fill a bowl up half way, add water till the top of the pile is floating in the bowl. I then add about 4 tablespoons of splenda and stick it in the microwave for two minutes. When it comes out I add some "I cant believe its not butter" spray that comes in a bottle (zero calories) I dont spray it, just open up the bottle and pour some one. Then I put just a dab of brown sugar and some raisins. Its one of my favorite comfort foods when its done right. It tastes slightly better with a bunch of real butter and all brown sugar rather than getting most of the sweetness from Splenda but its pretty darn good the less calorie intensive way. I dont care for it plain but it does not take much to doctor it up to where I would eat it three meals a day. Good luck, Hope you find something that works for you.

I love oatmeal! I eat plain, dry Quaker oats out of a cup with a spoon!o_O
Try using those Quaker oats as a filler in lean ground beef. Add an egg, diced onion, and a little olive oil. S&P to taste. Form pattys and fry in a little olive oil, non-stick pan.
Oats can be used as a topping for baked deserts. Mix oats with a little brown sugar sprinkle on the low fat treat and bake.
Cook oatmeal mush, spread out and let cool, fry portions in a little olive oil and serve with Smuckers sugar free maple syrup. Again, use a non-stick frypan.

I eat a lot of oatmeal. I fill a bowl up half way, add water till the top of the pile is floating in the bowl. I then add about 4 tablespoons of splenda and stick it in the microwave for two minutes. When it comes out I add some "I cant believe its not butter" spray that comes in a bottle (zero calories) I dont spray it, just open up the bottle and pour some one. Then I put just a dab of brown sugar and some raisins. Its one of my favorite comfort foods when its done right. It tastes slightly better with a bunch of real butter and all brown sugar rather than getting most of the sweetness from Splenda but its pretty darn good the less calorie intensive way. I dont care for it plain but it does not take much to doctor it up to where I would eat it three meals a day. Good luck, Hope you find something that works for you.

I do pretty much the same thing but instead of the butter spray I use unrefined coconut oil, It adds a slight coconut taste and is suppose to be good for you too, I also use craisins in place of raisins. Dang it now im wanting a big bowl of oats!.

I use rolled oats in things like meatloaf instead of bread crumbs
Also, try adding rolled oats to Stove Top Stuffing made the usual way.

Rolled oats also can be added to moist baked stuff like zucchini bread and carrot cake. It is also good for crumble topping pies and cobblers.

You could also try other grains like barley. or cream of wheat.

Some might remember - I'm on a personal quest to shed pounds and inches doing high protein low carb eating. I've lost over 10lbs so far (not great, but not bad) and I've been slowly phasing some carbs back into my diet to avoid binge eating on them. I'm still limiting the carb intake pretty well but allow myself whole grain bread on a sandwhich, and certain fruits. Doing my research into how to change my eating habits I've been blasted from many directions with "oatmeal" - it's supposed to be a wonderful food that's got good protien, complex carbs vs. simple carbs, and is touted by everyone to be great for shedding fat and adding muscle. I've had dieticians tell me I should be eating the stuff daily, body builders saying the same, and of course The Internets sings the praise of oatmeal heartily.

I've never been a huge fan - except for oatmeal cookies, or oatmeal sprinkled on good bread. They tried making me eat oatmeal as a kid and it was a food that tested me resolve and the nerves of my parental figures. They might have gotten me to choke down half a bowl of the stuff once a year as a gesture of good faith...

I've watched videos and read recipes for making "good oatmeal" but it all tastes the same - bland, boring, and a bit gross.

I don't drink milk - haven't been able to drink liquid milk since I was 5. It's not lactose intolerance per se - I can eat the bejesus out of cheese and ice cream, but plain liquid milk comes back up in curdled form almost as soon as it touches my lips. So the recipes that call for adding milk are out.

Likewise - there's fruits I just cannot stand the taste or texture of - bananas, raisins, dates, peaches, plums... and these seem to be staples in most oatmeal concoctions.

I'm trying not to eat much in the way of simple sugars - so the only way I could choke the stuff down in it's cereal form before is out (heavy on brown sugar, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and light on actual oatmeal)

I have come up with one way that ain't too bad - it's still not great from a taste perspective but I was able to eat a bowl without wishing for a quick painless death.

Instead of doing the boiling water soak method - I decided to try an oatmeal pilaf, as it were.

I toasted two handfuls (prob half a cup) of oats in butter in the skillet until they browned, then added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, two pinches of nutmeg, half a teaspoon of ground ginger and stirred it in, toasting for a minute longer. Then I added a cup of hot water, covered and let it simmer for ten minutes. When it was puffy I drained the excess liquid, toasted it again for a minute, then transferred to a bowl. I added half a chopped honeycrisp apple, and a drizzle of raw honey over it. I realize the last two items are simple sugar forms - but I was at my wits end on how to consume this stuff. The apple and honey at least offer other nutritional value compared to white or brown sugar. I'm probably going to Atkins hell for it though.

There's got to be other ways to eat oatmeal that aren't horribly bland, horribly mushy textured, or smothered in sugary goodness. Does anyone have any suggestions that exclude the foods I listed above that I can't eat?

I even tried just eating a handful of dry, raw oats yesterday and after washing it down with half a liter of water, I was about to embrace the sugary hands of early onset diabetes and heart disease thinking about this being the way to eat breakfast from now on. Super food or not - there's got to be a better way to eat this stuff.
Heavens to Betsy.. perhaps try shedding a couple verbs too. Yea, oatmeal sucks and you'll probably drop a couple if you eat that stuff. true story

Oatmeal is better cooked in less water. The dryer effect. You need some animals milk on it. Tablespoon of brown sugar. But. Low carb diets don't include oatmeal brother. I shredded 38 lbs dropping carbs. I gained 25 back. Maybe I should of did what you are planning by having some carbs along the way.

Last Edited:
I eat my oatmeal (Mc Cann's Irish steel cut) with a scoop of ISO Pure zero carb protein powder after my morning workout. Though I don't mind oatmeal, I do this more for a time saver. The protein powder comes in various flavors, Choc, Van, Strawb & Cookies and Creme.
You might try something like this if you lift weights etc. for exercise.

Chopped nuts can be added to oatmeal. Vanilla or almond extract. Just about any fruit that you want. Coconut. Yogurt. Bacon bits. Chopped herbs. Granola. Pumpkin puree. Grated zucchini. Scallions and cheese. Yeast. Seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin, etc).

The liquid is pretty changeable, too. You can cook your oats in a broth/stock. You can add coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, cream, etc.

Chopped nuts can be added to oatmeal. Vanilla or almond extract. Just about any fruit that you want. Coconut. Yogurt. Bacon bits. Chopped herbs. Granola. Pumpkin puree. Grated zucchini. Scallions and cheese. Yeast. Seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin, etc).

The liquid is pretty changeable, too. You can cook your oats in a broth/stock. You can add coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, cream, etc.
Nasty!

I'm not a fan of fake. I like mine plain, usually steel cut, with a spoonful of real maple syrup. If there's a fruit in season, I'll add it instead of the syrup, usually in addition to a cut of butter melted in. I do love a bowl of hot oatmeal on a cold morning.

I guess if your watching calories fake stuff is needed? I eat healthy and this includes all real foods. Including lots of real butter, bacon, and other good stuff.

I don't have much advice for folks trying to shed weight, but one thing I have always felt was true is that a good active life and real food will equate to a healthy body.

My wife's a registered dietician too, so I guess my food habits reflect hers. That and I've always been athletic. However good real food decisions and more activity is always a good thing. Trying to loose weight or not.

I Prefer Old Fashioned, Rolled Oats, to any cut Oats, or "Oatmeal" ...

Yes, there is a World of difference in them, and all of the various Oat Products.

My prefered method to make it for Breakfast is:

Start water boiling. Drop in the Rolled Oats, stiring while the Oats get into the water.

Now, as I live alone, my cooking gear, is Geared to indevidual porportions, for instance, I cook in a Titanium Varga Brand 750 ML "Sierra Cup", I mention this only for the reason of cooking times vary by cooking vessel.

As soon as the water is absorbed, (fine science, tuning water:eek:ats ratio) I then add in: Dry Powdered Milk, Adam's Brand, or other Peanut Only, no additives, PNB, and for me, a tab of butter, real, not margerine. I have not eaten margerine in years. Yucky stuff... Cows were created to give man Butter. I only use a small amount, sort of like oiling it... You could do that as well!!!

The Instant Dry Milk adds a amino acid balance to the oatmeal as well as PNB. A fuller Protein if you will...

By all means experiment!!!

philip, in the BoonDocks of Oregon, the Wet Part.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top