JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is a great link. Point shooting is the best choice for CW holder shooting technique. Combat accuracy is what it is about. I think sometimes we loose focus of what the real world is like and what likely will be our reaction. See target and hit target. Though I try an practice a modified point shooting drill that involves two or three quick combat hits followed by one or two the the head "aimed". I don't carry it a lot lately but I have a 3inch barrel mdl 85 that I like to this drill with.

elkfish.
:)

There is a time and place for point shooting. Point shooting is not a one size fits all choice. Knowing where, when, and how is the key.

Exactly, very good post. As I've posted before;

Speed and accuracy work together, which is to get hit(s) as soon as possible.
Pressing the trigger at the speed needed to control the sights to hit your target is what it's all about.

If the threat is in anyway difficult to hit, you will need to slow down on the trigger and focus more on sight alignment.
If the threat is close and easy to hit, then…..this is no time for a bullseye type group, in fact, you need to be pounding shots into the threat as fast as possible and stop the threat NOW!

Most of the time you will be somewhere between the two above examples.

Your decision on how fast vs. how slow to press the trigger, how much front sight vs. combat look through and/or body index is based on two things, your perception of the threat situation AND your perception of your skill with your equipment.

For 95% of encounters you may be up against, it will be close up and personal. Just think of how close you stand from someone when you meet on the street, while in a car, or answering your door. These are just a few examples of why you should practice point shooting, as you won't have time to find that perfect sight picture...you need to get ta shootin'!

Most everyone I've spoken with who have been in close range shootings don't remember using the sights. There's a very good well kept secret about point shooting...there is no method! Once your body is focused on the threat, and your eyes are locked on to the target, your shots will go where you are looking.

One needs to practice contact distance out to where one thinks they can still be accurate and still have some speed doing it. This is where "your perception of your skill with your equipment."comes in.

Most everything can be practiced without firing a round. Then you must discipline yourself to keep from blasting away when you go shooting with friends. Every shot is now looked at as practice and another repetition, so that when the time does come where you need to use your skills, you can focus on the threat at hand not what's going on behind the sights.

Exactly, very good post. As I've posted before;

Speed and accuracy work together, which is to get hit(s) as soon as possible.
Pressing the trigger at the speed needed to control the sights to hit your target is what it's all about.

If the threat is in anyway difficult to hit, you will need to slow down on the trigger and focus more on sight alignment.
If the threat is close and easy to hit, then…..this is no time for a bullseye type group, in fact, you need to be pounding shots into the threat as fast as possible and stop the threat NOW!

Most of the time you will be somewhere between the two above examples.

Your decision on how fast vs. how slow to press the trigger, how much front sight vs. combat look through and/or body index is based on two things, your perception of the threat situation AND your perception of your skill with your equipment.

For 95% of encounters you may be up against, it will be close up and personal. Just think of how close you stand from someone when you meet on the street, while in a car, or answering your door. These are just a few examples of why you should practice point shooting, as you won't have time to find that perfect sight picture...you need to get ta shootin'!

Most everyone I've spoken with who have been in close range shootings don't remember using the sights. There's a very good well kept secret about point shooting...there is no method! Once your body is focused on the threat, and your eyes are locked on to the target, your shots will go where you are looking.

One needs to practice contact distance out to where one thinks they can still be accurate and still have some speed doing it. This is where "your perception of your skill with your equipment."comes in.

Most everything can be practiced without firing a round. Then you must discipline yourself to keep from blasting away when you go shooting with friends. Every shot is now looked at as practice and another repetition, so that when the time does come where you need to use your skills, you can focus on the threat at hand not what's going on behind the sights.

Agreed. Most people whether they realize it or not will instinctively point shoot at close range. That's why it's important to practice the draw stroke as well as dry fire and live fire. Too many don't.

When I was in my early 20's I wore out a CO2 powered BB pistol just walking in the woods and shooting offhand, no sights. Whatever was there, I shot at it - leafs on the ground mostly. If I missed I could see where the BB hit and shoot again until I zeroed in on the target.

I got to where I could hit just about anything within the range of that gun that way.

That's been a long time. I'm sure I've lost much of that skill. I should do that again.

If you look at the pictures of the grip on pointshooting.com he points the string hand index finger along the barrel and uses either the middle finger or weak hand index finger for trigger pulls. I tried this grip and it feels a bit odd. It may get better with time, but found no immediate better results from his method and using a normal grip. Also, the beavertail on my pistol aligns my index finger with the trigger. To lay it along the frame above the trigger, it has to point up relative to the barrel.
I don't know, perhaps he's trying to sell his patented point and shoot accessory.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top