Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NRA files amicus in ACLU'S phone snooping lawsuit

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

NRA, press, ACLU are strange bedfellows in NSA lawsuit

The National Rifle Association has often been at odds with the national press, and there have been times when the NRA has been critical of the American Civil Liberties Union’s attitude about the Second Amendment, but yesterday they all wound up on the same side in a lawsuit targeting the federal government’s phone data collection.

NRA, press, ACLU are strange bedfellows in NSA lawsuit - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

and people complain the NRA doesn't do anything for gun owners.

3. hoody

hoody Tigard/Beaverton area Active Member

You know you've gone too far when the ACLU and the NRA can agree you've gone too far. I picture an angel and a devil on each shoulder, BOTH yelling in your ear "Don't do it!"

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

I've always thought that the ACLU and NRA should be in the same fights. A right to bare arms is a civil liberty. Of course, the ACLU tends to fight for the other rights.

5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

These are the golden opportunities we the opposition need to make the best of between now and the 2014 elections. Just like the prez needs to be hammered on his co-sponsoring as an Illinois state senator an expanded Stand your Ground bill that included immunity from civil suits. It passed 116 to 2 nos. So in 2004 he was all for SYG. It's time the moderates in the country shift the balance back to the center. Same with Syria.... Most folks on both sides want nothing to do with that bear trap.

What you do is have one missile malfunction and it happens to hit Assad's limo. Blame it on sequestration and poor quality control at the GPS plant.

Brutus out

Dunerunner and (deleted member) like this.
  6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I also think the same thing. Every suit the NRA brings should have ACLU backing and every suit over the 2nd Amendment that the ACLU brings should have NRA backing.

Oh, wait, the ACLU never supports the 2nd Amendment Right!

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Morpheus

That isn't actually true, the ACLU in Nevada does support 2nd Amendment Rights. They do this based on the local state contributors requesting it.

Of course, at the national level they don't support or unsupport it. They officially, last time I saw a statement from them, remain neutral on it. That may have changed of course. Haven't dug into it recently.

8. deen_ad

Actions speak louder than words! Has the ACLU ever brought or joined in a true 2nd Amendment suit anywhere? If not then I'd say they don't support it!

Deen
    Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

9. Bacchus

Bacchus The Republic Active Member

Looks like an opportunity for the ACLU to bask in reflected glory.

10. Morpheus

Actually, as I stated in Nevada they actually have done this.

ACLU of Nevada Opposes Bill Stripping Due Process Rights of Gun Owners | ACLU of Nevada
    The ACLU Goes Shooting! | ACLU of Nevada

Sure, not much for one of the 50 chapters (I think there is one per state), but it is them supporting suits against anti-second amendment bills.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  11. deen_ad

OK, I stand corrected, but that was in 2009 and I haven't heard of any others. I'll go do some looking I guess.

On edit: Well I see that they're against the Zimmerman verdict due to "racial profiling". Seems like they (the ACLU) doesn't like self defense or "stand your ground laws".

But law enforcement wasn't involved till after Treyvon was killed.

Deen
    "Defender of Freedom" award

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"