JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NRA, press, ACLU are strange bedfellows in NSA lawsuit

The National Rifle Association has often been at odds with the national press, and there have been times when the NRA has been critical of the American Civil Liberties Union’s attitude about the Second Amendment, but yesterday they all wound up on the same side in a lawsuit targeting the federal government’s phone data collection.

<broken link removed>

I've always thought that the ACLU and NRA should be in the same fights. A right to bare arms is a civil liberty. Of course, the ACLU tends to fight for the other rights.

These are the golden opportunities we the opposition need to make the best of between now and the 2014 elections. Just like the prez needs to be hammered on his co-sponsoring as an Illinois state senator an expanded Stand your Ground bill that included immunity from civil suits. It passed 116 to 2 nos. So in 2004 he was all for SYG. It's time the moderates in the country shift the balance back to the center. Same with Syria.... Most folks on both sides want nothing to do with that bear trap.

What you do is have one missile malfunction and it happens to hit Assad's limo. Blame it on sequestration and poor quality control at the GPS plant.

Brutus out

I've always thought that the ACLU and NRA should be in the same fights. A right to bare arms is a civil liberty. Of course, the ACLU tends to fight for the other rights.

I also think the same thing. Every suit the NRA brings should have ACLU backing and every suit over the 2nd Amendment that the ACLU brings should have NRA backing.

Oh, wait, the ACLU never supports the 2nd Amendment Right!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I also think the same thing. Every suit the NRA brings should have ACLU backing and every suit over the 2nd Amendment that the ACLU brings should have NRA backing.

Oh, wait, the ACLU never supports the 2nd Amendment Right!

That isn't actually true, the ACLU in Nevada does support 2nd Amendment Rights. They do this based on the local state contributors requesting it.

Of course, at the national level they don't support or unsupport it. They officially, last time I saw a statement from them, remain neutral on it. That may have changed of course. Haven't dug into it recently.

That isn't actually true, the ACLU in Nevada does support 2nd Amendment Rights. They do this based on the local state contributors requesting it.

Of course, at the national level they don't support or unsupport it. They officially, last time I saw a statement from them, remain neutral on it. That may have changed of course. Haven't dug into it recently.
Actions speak louder than words! Has the ACLU ever brought or joined in a true 2nd Amendment suit anywhere? If not then I'd say they don't support it!

Deen

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Actions speak louder than words! Has the ACLU ever brought or joined in a true 2nd Amendment suit anywhere? If not then I'd say they don't support it!

Deen

Actually, as I stated in Nevada they actually have done this.

ACLU of Nevada Opposes Bill Stripping Due Process Rights of Gun Owners | ACLU of Nevada
The ACLU Goes Shooting! | ACLU of Nevada

Sure, not much for one of the 50 chapters (I think there is one per state), but it is them supporting suits against anti-second amendment bills.

Last Edited:
Actually, as I stated in Nevada they actually have done this.

ACLU of Nevada Opposes Bill Stripping Due Process Rights of Gun Owners | ACLU of Nevada
The ACLU Goes Shooting! | ACLU of Nevada

Sure, not much for one of the 50 chapters (I think there is one per state), but it is them supporting suits against anti-second amendment bills.

OK, I stand corrected, but that was in 2009 and I haven't heard of any others. I'll go do some looking I guess.

On edit: Well I see that they're against the Zimmerman verdict due to "racial profiling". Seems like they (the ACLU) doesn't like self defense or "stand your ground laws".

To Members of Congress:

The tragedy of Trayvon Martin and his family is a symptom of the pervasive racial prejudice in our justice system. We urge you to pass the End Racial Profiling Act without delay to help get racial profiling out of law enforcement.
But law enforcement wasn't involved till after Treyvon was killed.

Deen
"Defender of Freedom" award

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews