JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, this is mostly so I can gripe about how uncomfortable most sub compact single stack pistols feel to me.
I don't have big hands, but the way the grip angle hits my hand just feels horrible. I don't get this with bigger pistols.
Thus far the only subcompacts I can get a comfortable grip on is the Springfield XDS and the G43. I need a gun I can carry if I want, the Savage 1907 won't cut it like I'd hoped.
I think I want to get a G43X, but I've never shot a Glock. I really like my Sig P226, but that pistol would only really work for open carry on me.

Should I go a little bigger and get a compact P series Sig Sauer, or should I try a couple Glocks at the range first? Where is a good place to try a few Glocks and Sigs on the West side of town?

Also, I don't want to hear anything about the S&W M&P, feels like I'm holding some sort of border trim, and I don't want to have to "get used to it"...

The Ruger LC9s with the flat baseplate works for me.

suOHbQH.jpg

OP i think you may favor the new G43X or the G48. The grip is that goldiglocks spot. Glock isn't too hard to learn i'd just seriously swap out the stock plastic sights for some trijicons or get a model that comes with factory night sights tbh.

Best advice is to go into a LGS and finger a few models, find the one that fits your hand best and roll with that. Also check walther and HK vp series for ergos.

Wow, a Savage 1907, that's pretty retro! What caliber?
It's .32 acp and the smallest pistol I can shoot well, that I know of. Unfortunately it is known to accidentally discharge when hit the wrong way, particularly while holstering...

@E4mafia , I have tried the VP9, but I'd rather a P229 for the size. I do like the Walther PPQ, would like to shoot one of those too. The rest of the common choices I really don't care for. The G43 felt best, but I feel the need to shoot one before I buy.

It's .32 acp and the smallest pistol I can shoot well, that I know of. Unfortunately it is known to accidentally discharge when hit the wrong way, particularly while holstering...

@E4mafia , I have tried the VP9, but I'd rather a P229 for the size. I do like the Walther PPQ, would like to shoot one of those too. The rest of the common choices I really don't care for. The G43 felt best, but I feel the need to shoot one before I buy.

Walther PPQ is good to go played with one a few times (tho in 40sw) and its butter to shoot. Can only imagine how a 9mm vers would do. Just as simple as a glock to maintain too imo. Gotta find that one you can feel comfy with and shoot best, try some ranges and rentals like threat dynamics in sherwood, they got a nice selection to try before buy. 320 series isn't bad either on the grips and shooting. Mine had an issue but the factory made it 110%. Even for being a 45 its light on the hip and conceals rather well.

I've got a Sig P238 and after a couple mags figuring out how best to hold it, it shot great. The extended mag-grip helps a lot to keep my little finger engaged so it doesn't look like I'm holding a teacup.

Well, this is mostly so I can gripe about how uncomfortable most sub compact single stack pistols feel to me.
I don't have big hands, but the way the grip angle hits my hand just feels horrible. I don't get this with bigger pistols.
Thus far the only subcompacts I can get a comfortable grip on is the Springfield XDS and the G43. I need a gun I can carry if I want, the Savage 1907 won't cut it like I'd hoped.
I think I want to get a G43X, but I've never shot a Glock. I really like my Sig P226, but that pistol would only really work for open carry on me.

Should I go a little bigger and get a compact P series Sig Sauer, or should I try a couple Glocks at the range first? Where is a good place to try a few Glocks and Sigs on the West side of town?

Also, I don't want to hear anything about the S&W M&P, feels like I'm holding some sort of border trim, and I don't want to have to "get used to it"...

Only solution is handle first. Sounds like your "taste" would not require firing. Should be able to get a pretty good idea just handling. Find a couple larger shops near and do some kicking the tires so to speak. If something "feels good" then maybe see if someone has a rental of that model. Also anything with replaceable grips should offer something to work better.

Tried it and it just felt weird... not too bad, but not good either.
Sig P225A1?

Maybe even a used P228. A little less chunky than the P229. I do really the P229 though.
Is that the same as th P229 M11-A1?
I've got a Sig P238 and after a couple mags figuring out how best to hold it, it shot great. The extended mag-grip helps a lot to keep my little finger engaged so it doesn't look like I'm holding a teacup.
I should try one with the grip extensions. I've considered the case colored version "for my GF"... lol

Does anyone know if any range is renting the G43X yet?

I know I'm picky... but they just don't make compact pistol grip feel as good as they did in the 20's...

Tried it and it just felt weird... not too bad, but not good either.

Is that the same as th P229 M11-A1?

I should try one with the grip extensions. I've considered the case colored version "for my GF"... lol

Does anyone know if any range is renting the G43X yet?

I know I'm picky... but they just don't make compact pistol grip feel as good as they did in the 20's...

No, the M11 is based on the P229 though it tries to disguise itself as a P228.

The P225A1 is a smaller single stack 9mm that replaced the P239. Its more slim than the 228/229.

E02AE670-D974-4F53-B824-1607C6C45A9F.jpeg

We too went through this year's ago and rented a bunch of guns to find out which one fit our hands & what we shot well with.
We picked the XDM40, one in compact size 3.8 for my EDC & a full size 3.8 for home defence.
The Glock felt like a foreign object for both of us (an acquired taste I guess) & the Springfield had a natural feel to it.
Good luck finding the best EDC you like.

Last Edited:
@No_Regerts I like how the P225 posted in the classifieds yesterday for a good looking price is already SPF with a back up buyer... lol

@Caveman Jim it's likely I'll join your club if I don't like how Glocks shoot. I like idea of a mag cap of 13+1 in .45acp

No, the M11 is based on the P229 though it tries to disguise itself as a P228.

The P225A1 is a smaller single stack 9mm that replaced the P239. Its more slim than the 228/229.

View attachment 547341

Not quite, The P228 and M11 are the same gun and only available in 9mm (which is a compact version of the P226), the P229 and M11A1 are the same gun and was available in 9mm, 40S&W and 357 Sig, the difference between the two is P228/M11 had a rolled carbon steel slide while the P229/M11A1 had a milled stainless steel slide.

The P225A1 is an updated P225 which is a single stack version like the P220 came out in the mid or late 70s, the P239 didn't come out until the mid 90s and had the SS slide like P229.

Last Edited:
Not quite, The P228 and M11 are the same gun and only available in 9mm (which is a compact version of the P226), the P229 and M11A1 are the same gun and was available in 9mm, 40S&W and 357 Sig, the difference between the two is P228/M11 had a rolled carbon steel slide while the P229/M11A1 had a milled stainless steel slide.

The P225A1 is an updated P225 which is a single stack version of the P226 came out in the mid or late 70s, the P239 didn't come out until the mid 90s and had the SS slide like P229.

Ok, so I forgot the A1 part. The M11A1 really is a 229 with 228 grips and uses 229-1 magazines.

The original 225 was more like a shrunken 220 than a single stack 226. I think it pre-dates the 226 by a couple of years. The P225A1 came out recently and took over the metal frame single stack 9mm slot in their lineup and the 239 died.

Ok, so I forgot the A1 part. The M11A1 really is a 229 with 228 grips and uses 229-1 magazines.

The original 225 was more like a shrunken 220 than a single stack 226. I think it pre-dates the 226 by a couple of years. The P225A1 came out recently and took over the metal frame single stack 9mm slot in their lineup and the 239 died.

Yes you are correct on all that, fixed my typo. The P226 didn't come out until the 80s during the "Wonder 9" craze.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads