JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, I'm SURE its the lower. No doubt. BUT....the lower magwell doesn't change size from mag to mag. So my point is that PMags can vary in dimensions. Even two identical generation mags.

It would be relatively easy for you to test them with another AR. Certainly you must know another AR owner. Or perhaps another member that lives near you could offer to be of assistance.

Oh, I'm SURE its the lower. No doubt. BUT....the lower magwell doesn't change size from mag to mag. So my point is that PMags can vary in dimensions. Even two identical generation mags.

This is true for all magazines - the difference isn't that they vary, it's that they have a different spec for OD. Larger, they fit snugger and will feed more reliably, but those variations will become evident. Smaller, you can get away with more.

Maybe too much emphasis is placed on mags being drop free anyway - when I change mags I don't tend to let them drop to the ground much, normally I physically pull them from the mag and stuff them into a pocket or pouch before putting a fresh mag in. I do not shoot in competitions though where the extra second would make a difference, so if you're a comp shooter I can see why this is important.

I have tested them on another rifle. Although they fit more snug than the GI mags, they dropped.

Train so that you flip the rifle upside down, just hold onto the Pmag, hit the mag release so the weight of the rifle drops and then flip it back over and insert a new mag.;)

You will be the talk of the range every time you go:p
I'm gonna need to see some diagrams, a PowerPoint presentation, and maybe a few 3D rendered models for you to show me what in the sam hill you're talkin' about.

Maybe it's a quantum lower, and DOES change size from mag to mag, as long as you're not observing it?

I still run the same rig as the OP. And Yes, Magpul PMags vary. My lower, although not advertised, is a quantum lower and thanks for spilling the beans Oregon Quartermaster. I thought we agreed not to discuss this on an open forum :)

So since we established that not all PMags are within spec, my recent build seems to drop them with more consistency. Another Anderson lower on a different upper manufacturer. As long as they shoot, I'll live with it. I have yet another Anderson lower in the infant stages of a build that I'm going to run with. GI mags seem to always drop free so I continue to order them.

I still run the same rig as the OP. And Yes, Magpul PMags vary. My lower, although not advertised, is a quantum lower and thanks for spilling the beans Oregon Quartermaster. I thought we agreed not to discuss this on an open forum :)

image.jpeg

So I remember some years ago, someone made a video of a bunch of dudes dumping mags on something, I'm not sure what, probably a hillside, and they would then all syncronize their mag flips, I thought they were spastic or something, and was really wondering why someone gave a bunch of retards full-automatic weapons, besides some kind of mad scientist curiosity.

I tried p-mags a decade ago, they never dropped free from any of my guns, they didn't stack in mag pouches, and were more expensive than the metal ones.

Then I came across this, and now I understand...

I also did a drop test when I got my AR a while ago 23 out of 25 USGI mags dropped & two didn't, still kept the two klingons. I didn't have any Pmags at the time.
Last year I traded for 4) 20 round Pmags and two didn't make the cut so I traded them for two 30 rounders of which one does not drop free but kept it for range duty, not a huge fan of Pmags but did buy 2 40 rounders for SnG's.... :eek::eek::eek:
I am old school and love my USGI mags!!!;)

I'm with @Caveman Jim here...mind you, I've experimented with plastic magazines since they first started coming out. I do a lot of maintenance on my firearms and accessories...so when I had a plastic mag bust completely down the middle from just simply loading bullets into it, I stopped buying plastic mags altogether.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews